New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · JJC KIWIFOTOS Extended Eyecup for R5 and R6

iazybandit
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · JJC KIWIFOTOS Extended Eyecup for R5 and R6

The eyecups on the R5, R6, etc. are now held in place with screws so they won't fall off as easily but in the event that they get damaged, you can replace them. JJC is the first 3rd party that I know of that released a replacement eyecup. Its not a direct replacement in terms of the rubber because these extended it out kind of like Hoodman eyecups.

https://youtu.be/yLwsRwtakB4

They also have it available for the R3, R7, R10 and RP

Dec 20, 2022 at 01:33 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · JJC KIWIFOTOS Extended Eyecup for R5 and R6

nice! i've ordered two thru Amazon.nl, curious to see how they do

Dec 21, 2022 at 06:24 AM
Flowernut
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · JJC KIWIFOTOS Extended Eyecup for R5 and R6

Mine seems great on r5. Anything is better than original. First time I've ever had problems with an canon eycup and I've used their equipment since late 1960's.

Dec 21, 2022 at 10:00 AM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · JJC KIWIFOTOS Extended Eyecup for R5 and R6

The eyecup for the R3 is not as well finished - a bit too thin and not rounded enough edge.

from the pictures, the cup for the R6mk2 seems to a have a more rounded edge and slightly thicker material

Dec 21, 2022 at 11:46 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · JJC KIWIFOTOS Extended Eyecup for R5 and R6

Looks pretty cool. I’ll have to check them out.

Dec 21, 2022 at 12:46 PM
jedibrain
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · JJC KIWIFOTOS Extended Eyecup for R5 and R6

This is cool. Can't believe it took this long to get one on the market.

-Brian

Dec 21, 2022 at 02:22 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · JJC KIWIFOTOS Extended Eyecup for R5 and R6

For those who wear glasses.
Do you have trouble with smudging up your glasses from the oils on your eyelid when you press up against these eye cups?
I can't stand smudges on my glasses so I currently peak over the top of my glasses when using the EVF which presents it's own issues. I'd love to be able to just look straight in. I've actually considered wearing just a single contact lens so I can still see the menus on the back of the camera and also distant objects without worrying about smudges.

Dec 21, 2022 at 02:36 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · JJC KIWIFOTOS Extended Eyecup for R5 and R6

Same one on eBay for about half the price, if you want to order from China.

Dec 22, 2022 at 01:19 PM
wlpelzmann
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · JJC KIWIFOTOS Extended Eyecup for R5 and R6

I just got mine and like it very much. Thanks for pointing it out.

Dec 24, 2022 at 06:23 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · JJC KIWIFOTOS Extended Eyecup for R5 and R6

The R3 eyecup will fail…they tear….mine did…others have experienced it as well. I have bought 6 spares, they need to fix the material…..its a POS…

Dec 25, 2022 at 03:35 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · JJC KIWIFOTOS Extended Eyecup for R5 and R6

The R5 one seems to be sold under a different name here. I like the smaller eyecups as the lareg oners tend to get destroyed in the camera bag.
https://www.amazon.com/JJC-Eyepiece-Viewfinder-Mirrorless-Extended/dp/B0BF515Y68

EBH

Dec 26, 2022 at 03:58 PM
4x4rock
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · JJC KIWIFOTOS Extended Eyecup for R5 and R6

I just installed the JJC eyecup and it fits good and comfortable to use. Just remember to flip out the screen to have more room to work the screws. It came with 4 extra screws.

Dec 26, 2022 at 04:55 PM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · JJC KIWIFOTOS Extended Eyecup for R5 and R6

lighthound wrote:
For those who wear glasses.
Do you have trouble with smudging up your glasses from the oils on your eyelid when you press up against these eye cups?
I can't stand smudges on my glasses so I currently peak over the top of my glasses when using the EVF which presents it's own issues. I'd love to be able to just look straight in. I've actually considered wearing just a single contact lens so I can still see the menus on the back of the camera and also distant objects without worrying about smudges.

I have had smudging issues. The eyecup does a better job blocking light if you can use it without eyeglasses. I'm not sure how oil gets on the eyecup since it can't touch my eyelid with glasses in the way, but it does. Maybe from my nose, since it seems to be worse on the side of the eyecup. When I'm not wearing progressive glasses, I wear monovision contacts: Right (dominant) eye set for distance and left for reading. Both solutions have their pros and cons. Monovision can take some getting used to and you may need to experiment with slightly different corrections. I found that the "right" prescription wasn't the best prescription for my needs.

Dec 27, 2022 at 01:21 AM
iazybandit
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · JJC KIWIFOTOS Extended Eyecup for R5 and R6

The eyecups are all the same brand. JJC is who makes them.

EB-1 wrote:
The R5 one seems to be sold under a different name here. I like the smaller eyecups as the lareg oners tend to get destroyed in the camera bag.
https://www.amazon.com/JJC-Eyepiece-Viewfinder-Mirrorless-Extended/dp/B0BF515Y68

EBH

Dec 27, 2022 at 06:48 AM
Mike Jacks0n
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · JJC KIWIFOTOS Extended Eyecup for R5 and R6

I found it just OK so far, I like some things, but dislike others. I felt like the original eye position of the R5 piece places you in a more comfortable position. The original doesn't require an exaggerated head turn (for me) to use the contours. However this one does require me to crank in a little head turn to engage the cup. Equally, this may be me just used to the original cup.

That said, I'm still getting used to it after about a month. I do like that it enables a very small improvement to the eye sensor activation. To me, it seems like the awkward angle eye sensor engagement is a little better, however, I wish Canon would use the upper sensor location opposed to the lower. That way the awkward positions from low angle shooting keeps the EVF on better as well as LCD screen touches don't accidentally trigger the EVF on as much.

I've still got mine on the camera and will see if I fully get used to it or go back to the original cup. Seems relatively rugged, so I don't think that will be an issue. However, I rarely bag my camera body so it doesn't rub against anything.

Jan 06, 2023 at 11:24 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · JJC KIWIFOTOS Extended Eyecup for R5 and R6

Bump.

Update: Any more experiences with the JJC KIWIFOTOS eyecup anyone care to share?

I take it that Hoodman has just stopped making eyecups for later Canon models?

Feb 04, 2023 at 07:20 PM
Flowernut
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · JJC KIWIFOTOS Extended Eyecup for R5 and R6

So far so good without glasses on R5. Absolutely required to do outshide photography to block light coming in from side. I simply can't use stock eyecup from Canon. I also carry a spare now but have never needed to use it.

Feb 05, 2023 at 05:27 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · JJC KIWIFOTOS Extended Eyecup for R5 and R6

Flowernut wrote:
So far so good without glasses on R5. Absolutely required to do outshide photography to block light coming in from side. I simply can't use stock eyecup from Canon. I also carry a spare now but have never needed to use it.

Thanks. Too bad Canon makes expensive cameras and lenses yet puts cheap Mickey Mouse eyecups, lens hoods, and lens caps on them.

Feb 05, 2023 at 11:27 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · JJC KIWIFOTOS Extended Eyecup for R5 and R6

I have not experienced many problems with Canon hoods and none with the lens caps.
You can get some substitutes for Canon, Nikon, etc. from https://www.zemlinphoto.com/

EBH

Feb 06, 2023 at 12:05 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · JJC KIWIFOTOS Extended Eyecup for R5 and R6

I have the JJC KIWIFOTOS Extended Eyecup on my R6 MK II. It's okay: blocks strong light from causing glare/washout in the EVF. However, I have to press into the eyecup more than the stock one and I find that a little uncomfortable due to the sharpness of the eyecup edge. The original is much more comfortable albeit prone to glare at the beach or during sunsets. I have a short nose so no difference in gear angle required for me.

Feb 06, 2023 at 01:37 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.