New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · First Fujifilm Body + Lens Combo Recommendation

JetSpeedman
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First Fujifilm Body + Lens Combo Recommendation

What is the best zoom lens combo + body I can get for $1000 used in your opinion? If possible a normal zoom (the 18-55 I'm thinking) and a entry regular telephoto as part of the budget?

Buying it for a family member who will mainly be using it at the beach for surfing & landscape photos of Nicaragua. Getting him a fujifilm because he's a designer/artist and I feel he would appreciate what the system has to offer.

I'm a longtime canon/sony shooter so I don't really know where to start because there are so many options.

Thank you!

Dec 19, 2022 at 07:22 PM
jstrawman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First Fujifilm Body + Lens Combo Recommendation

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1739078

Dec 19, 2022 at 08:34 PM
gaopa
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First Fujifilm Body + Lens Combo Recommendation

I suggest an X-T3 and the 18-55 "kit" lens.

Dec 19, 2022 at 08:51 PM
JetSpeedman
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First Fujifilm Body + Lens Combo Recommendation

jstrawman wrote:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1739078

Thank you!

Dec 19, 2022 at 10:28 PM
JetSpeedman
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First Fujifilm Body + Lens Combo Recommendation

gaopa wrote:
I suggest an X-T3 and the 18-55 "kit" lens.

Will look into it, appreciate the input!

Dec 19, 2022 at 10:28 PM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First Fujifilm Body + Lens Combo Recommendation

The XE3 or XS10 might be a good options ... they're compact, have simple controls, yet have the same sensor and color technology as the higher end cameras. The XE3 in particular also has a more vintage-y design that some people might appreciate.

A general idea of how Fuji APS-C ILC bodies are generally categorized by model number:

XE or XA line: small rangefinger-style, more entry level
XPro line: larger rangefinder-style, higher end

XT10/20/30/100/200: smaller SLR-style with manual controls, entry level
XS10: smaller SLR-style with PASM-dial, entry to mid-level
XT1/2/3/4/5: larger SLR-style with manual controls, mid-level to high end

XH line: larger SLR-style with PASM dial, high end

Dec 21, 2022 at 09:16 AM
CKrueger
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First Fujifilm Body + Lens Combo Recommendation

A $1000-ish budget keeps your choices pretty tight, depending on where you buy.

I found this kit from KEH:
XT20 - $523 (EX)
XT2 - $551 (EX)
15-45 - $209 (EX)
18-55 - $331 (EX)
55-200 - $361 (BGN)
50-230 - $233 (BGN)
18-135 - $438 (BGN)

The XT20 is not as nice as the following generation (XT30 or XE3) in that its AF is slower and it has an older (non-BSI) sensor. But the XT30 is $200 more, which puts it well out of budget. Expect AF performance more like decent older DSLRs rather than the current crop of mirrorless cameras, and significant noise at ISO6400.

I also listed an XT2, which is essentially the XT20 sensor with a bigger body and more features (viewfinder, frame rate, weather sealing, etc). It's well worth the extra $25 if you're OK with the larger body.

For wide zooms, you're wise to select the 18-55. It's excellent. Not "excellent for a kit lens", but excellent, full stop. You could buy a 15-45 instead to save some cash, but I recommend against it. I have a 15-45, and it's decent (I use it for IR), but the 18-55 is a big step up corner performance, build quality, and no power zoom.

For telezooms Fuji goes like this: 50-230 -> 55-200 -> 70-300 -> 100-400. That's the progression in quality, size, and price. The 55-200 is the sweet spot for a budget, in my opinion. It focuses quickly and quietly, it's sharp enough for a 24mpixel camera, and it's a solid lens with weather sealing. The 50-230 is optically a bit worse, and has an all-plastic-feel, non-sealed build.

There's also the 18-135 superzoom. It's an old design, and is a decent attempt. It'll save some cash, and avoid lens swaps. As a camera snob I'd avoid it, but it obviously can do the job, and your family member would likely not notice the difference between it and better lenses.

Unfortunately, my suggested kit (XT2, 18-55, 55-200) is some $1200 at KEH! That said, if you buy on the forum here, you should be able to assemble this kit for <$1000.

FWIW, if you wanted to splurge on higher-end kit, I'd keep the two lenses and buy either an XT3 (better sensor, AF, frame rate, controls) or an XS10 (also adds IBIS for any future prime needs, and the fun Classic Negative film sim).

Also, don't forget to pick up a UV filter for beach shooting! Let your family member scrub saltwater off the filter with no fear of damaging the front of a lens.

As far as batteries go, you'll want one spare for a photographer, or multiple for a videographer.

Dec 21, 2022 at 10:54 AM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First Fujifilm Body + Lens Combo Recommendation

Classic negative is a good film simulation for photos at the beach. It warms up things slightly and works well on images with a lot of light and harsh shadows.

That might be a good reason to splurge for a newer model.

A user can create a custom modification that will approximate this simulation, but if the user isn't an avid photographer, they might find that task a little boring.

Dec 21, 2022 at 11:01 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · First Fujifilm Body + Lens Combo Recommendation

At that price point there are clearly going to be some compromises. I won't add all that much to the long analysis above except to add a few brief thoughts:

1. If sensor/image quality is important, you can get a newer version of a less expensive body such as the XE models. I'd try for at least the 24MP version. It gets more modern technology that the previous version of more expensive bodies such as XT.

2. The 18-55 plus 55-200 combo covers a lot of ground for the price. Those plus the XE make for about as small and versatile kit as possible.

(I've owned/used both lenses and one of the early XE bodies.)

Dec 21, 2022 at 11:52 AM
DavidLR

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · First Fujifilm Body + Lens Combo Recommendation

If it is going to be used primarily at the beach weather sealing for both lens and camera might be a good idea. Helps keeps sand and salt water (very destructive) from getting into camera. The extra cost could save money in the long rum. Without a warranty Fuji repairs are not inexpensive.

Dec 23, 2022 at 12:09 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · First Fujifilm Body + Lens Combo Recommendation

I used 18-55 and 55-200 at the beach. I don't worry too much about the weather sealings unless you have waves splashing on the camera/lens.18-55 used is what $200. Buy another one if one breaks. 55-200mm used should be under $400. But to me one needs much longer focal lengths for surfing. When I shot surfing, I used 500mm on 1.3x crop sensor. I would look at canon 300mm f4 or the 400mm f5.6. With adapter they would be more money but a lot more reach. AF on the 55-200 is not good. Picture quality is good.

Dec 23, 2022 at 02:46 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · First Fujifilm Body + Lens Combo Recommendation

bobby350z wrote:
I used 18-55 and 55-200 at the beach. I don't worry too much about the weather sealings unless you have waves splashing on the camera/lens.18-55 used is what $200. Buy another one if one breaks. 55-200mm used should be under $400. But to me one needs much longer focal lengths for surfing. When I shot surfing, I used 500mm on 1.3x crop sensor. I would look at canon 300mm f4 or the 400mm f5.6. With adapter they would be more money but a lot more reach. AF on the 55-200 is not good. Picture quality is good.

Agree about the two inexpensive lenses. As long as one isn't standing in the spray (or rain, etc) it isn't likely to be a problem. And, assuming that $200 price, you could buy 4 or 5 of them!

I also agree that if the idea is to photograph surfers a much longer focal length would be useful... but hard to fit into that budget.

Dec 23, 2022 at 08:06 PM
d-intrigue
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · First Fujifilm Body + Lens Combo Recommendation

I picked up a refurb X-S10 with 18-55 direct from Fuji, $839, it arrived today. They have 50-230 zooms for $200 and the 55-200 for $420.

Dec 23, 2022 at 08:23 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.