New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Mixed lights

MarioG

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mixed lights

Hope I am writing at the right forum.

One of the worst situation when shooting people is mixed light scene.

For example indoor very warm bulb light with neutral (or little cold) window light.
Or flash light with warm or cold ambient light..

How do you fix white balance in such occasions?

Dec 19, 2022 at 08:12 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mixed lights

When I am shooting in a room with tungsten light I will usually gel my strobes to match the ambient and then color balance for that.

Dec 19, 2022 at 08:22 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mixed lights

If you're doing street photography, you're at the mercy of what is provided in the scene. Sometimes the best solution when working with very extreme light temperatures is to convert the scene to B&W.

Other times, you can vary the temperature by trying different white (gray) points to see what looks good or at least is a good compromise. I've seen shots where one part (through masking) is processed for one color temperature and the rest at a different temperature. Then the results are composited.

These days with the masking in ACR, it's possible to do that in a single image with masking alone. Here I decided to compromise on the interior lighting as the standard and let the rest fall as it may.

Dec 19, 2022 at 11:00 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mixed lights

Yes street is a diffetent conversation. I do a lot of street and I shoot with a Leica M 10 Mono but more becasue it fit the way I see and work than anything else.

Dec 19, 2022 at 11:30 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mixed lights

MarioG wrote:
Hope I am writing at the right forum.

One of the worst situation when shooting people is mixed light scene.

For example indoor very warm bulb light with neutral (or little cold) window light.
Or flash light with warm or cold ambient light..

How do you fix white balance in such occasions?

Kinda depends on the situation.

If you have control over the lighting, replace (temporary) the warm bulb with a 5500 or 6500 bulb, to match it up closer to your cool window light.

As mentioned, you can gel (warm or cool) your flash to match your ambient light.

OTOH, if you are asking about scenes that were captured with mixed lighting, and what to do about it in post-processing, that's going to incorporate masking and blending to bring the areas of mixed lighting to a degree of consistency. You can work one toward the other. Or, you can work both toward the middle.

Dec 19, 2022 at 01:21 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.