Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Help with shooting hockey for the first time

soccerphotos

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with shooting hockey for the first time

A hockey club asked me to shoot their game this weekend. I have never shot hockey. Looking for some pointers on how to tackle this.

I'll be shooting with a Canon R7 and a Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS III - possible to add an 1.4x to this but likely just going with the 70-200. I'm assuming the 300mm would be too much.

Lighting seems to be good in the building - I have not shot in the building before - but I have been in the building and it is lighted well.

I'm assuming I need to shoot over the glass and "down" to the players? Or does anyone have good luck going through the glass shooting? Any areas that you can go through "holes" in glass or cracks between panels with any luck?

Any feedback/help would be great.

Regards
Paul

Dec 15, 2022 at 04:13 PM
pjbuehner
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with shooting hockey for the first time

I don't know what level this arena is but if it is D1 or higher, then they likely have holes in the glass. If this is a private arena that the club uses, you might be out of luck.
If you shoot through the glass, the condition of the glass is a big deal. Again, at higher levels, they change and clean the glass more often. That being said, you will struggle shooting through the glass and will need to process your images afterward to get the most out of them. Be prepared to have a much lower percentage of keepers.
If the club lets you, and if you are comfortable with it, shoot from the bench. This will get you on level with them and you can cover more of the rink. Be alert for flying pucks and don't get in the way of any line changes, etc.
If you shoot over the glass, then a 300 will not be too long. I shot with a 400 2.8 on one of my bodies when covering D1 hockey. You can cover the far boards and the goalie with it. A 70-200 will cover the close end of the ice for you.
Also, don't let the camera meter for you. Unless one end is a lot darker than the other, shoot manual. Expose for the players. The ice will make your camera underexpose.
I hope that helps.
Good luck

Dec 15, 2022 at 04:50 PM
soccerphotos

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help with shooting hockey for the first time

Thanks. I'm going to try and stop by the arena tonight to get some ideas and check it out. It doesn't sound like they have holes in the glass from talking to someone that has had teams play there that I happened to run into, so I could be SOL on that.

Dec 16, 2022 at 07:48 AM
pjbuehner
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help with shooting hockey for the first time

My last answer was pretty brief so I will elaborate on a few points.
In my arena, when shooting through the glass, I found that I had to add a lot of contrast back into the image in post-processing. I also had to pull the blacks down. I also spent time looking for the cleanest section of glass to shoot through. I then had a rag to try to clean it up even more. If this is club level, they might let you get on the ice pre-game to clean the glass in a spot on the inside and outside. Some scuffs will not come out with a simple rag.

One piece of advice that I got from SportsShooter back in the day was to shoot wide open and get the lens right up against the glass. This will avoid reflections that can really mess with autofocus. They even make a rubber device that attaches to the end of your lens that presses up against the glass.
Shooting over the glass changes dramatically depending on where they give you access to do so. I had to shoot from an elevated area quite a ways from the glass... which let my 400mm be very useful. If you are on a ladder shooting literally at the glass, you can get away with a much shorter focal length.
Personally, I never liked the shots from over the glass at least not from my angle. If they have holes cut, that is where you can get some really nice photos.

Best of luck.

Dec 16, 2022 at 02:06 PM
leewoolery
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help with shooting hockey for the first time

I always photograph ice hockey sitting a chair from an open penalty box...it is dangerous so you need to pay attention...however...you don't need to worry about shooting through the glass

Dec 16, 2022 at 02:16 PM
soccerphotos

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help with shooting hockey for the first time

Thank you everyone. I'll give it a go...luckily I shoot three of these kids on the soccer field too so hopefully they will cut me some slack on this first go around after all the years of shooting them in soccer

Dec 16, 2022 at 02:24 PM
henry albert
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help with shooting hockey for the first time

soccerphotos wrote:
I'm assuming I need to shoot over the glass and "down" to the players? Or does anyone have good luck going through the glass shooting?

I shoot through the glass 95 percent of the time. I don't like the angles from the bench or from over the glass. I've always thought that the lower you can get, the more drama/action you can find in the images. And you get more faces--a good face can often save and otherwise boring photo. . Because of the netting, you also lose access to the best shooting angles if you want to look over the glass. My favorite spot is in a corner just below the goal line. I'll clean a spot if I can and shoot with the lens against the glass to eliminate reflections from behind. You will always sacrifice some image quality by shooting through the glass, but the payback in improved action is worth it, IMHO.

Dec 22, 2022 at 11:59 AM
graycat
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help with shooting hockey for the first time

You said in another post that you have ordered the R3. I think you will find shooting through glass easier with that body. I have never shot at a hockey arena but I have shot a lot through fencing and whatnot. When I changed to the R3 I found that it was much easier to keep the subject in focus.

Dec 28, 2022 at 01:17 AM
KGipper

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help with shooting hockey for the first time

If there is no glass covering the penalty boxes it is ideal to shoot from there. You can get great goalie saves and also players moving the puck down the ice. Shoot low as possible, that way you get their eyes and faces. If you shoot high often times it can look like they’re skating with their eyes closed. Make sure to get white balance and exposure figured out while they do their warm ups. Hopefully you know the game well because anticipation can help get a great shot vs just missing it. My criteria for keepers was, I wanted to see their faces and a puck by their stick, crop tight. Don’t be afraid to use high ISO to get high shutter speeds. Good luck

Dec 28, 2022 at 07:13 AM
Ned flanders

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help with shooting hockey for the first time

Very nice pics, thanks for sharing

Jan 01, 2023 at 09:52 AM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Help with shooting hockey for the first time

If you are shooting from the penalty box or over the glass be sure to wrap the camera strap around your hand so you don't drop gear onto the ice.
Have seen it happen to new shooters and it can be a serious problem.

Feb 09, 2023 at 06:53 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.