Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Does Photoshop have something like LR's Auto Masking?

EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Does Photoshop have something like LR's Auto Masking?

I bracketed a few images and would like to manually blend them; keeping the sky above a slightly uneven ridge from one photo and everything below that ridge from another photo. From LR I opened them as layers in PS and then painted the top layer so that the sky in the bottom layer could be seen.

This worked well and quickly except for the line where the split in images is occurring. Even at 300% I had a hard time avoiding a halo (bright line) or reverse hale (dark line) along that ridge.

I know LR I can turn Auto Mask on and a soft brush does a very nice job of not masking across a line with decent contrast. Is there a way to do the same in PS?

Thanks

Dec 15, 2022 at 04:35 PM
dclark
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Does Photoshop have something like LR's Auto Masking?

Yes. What you are describing is done in Adobe Camera Raw which is available in LR and PS. You can open ACR in the PS Filter menu and have access to all the same capability, including the "Auto Mask" option for the brush tool.

Dec 15, 2022 at 04:41 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Does Photoshop have something like LR's Auto Masking?

There's a fairly recent tool addition in Photoshop - in the last couple of years - under the Select Menu where you can select Sky, Subject, Focus and one other that I can't remember right now, but in general, they work quite well and are very fast. Sometimes the selections are amazingly perfect and sometimes they need a little finessing using the other selection tools.

Dec 15, 2022 at 10:43 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Does Photoshop have something like LR's Auto Masking?

It seems like you may not be using Smart Objects when you open files in Photoshop. If you do this you can keep your LR edits/masks in PS and when you open ACR (by double clicking on the thumbnail in the Layer palette, not by using the Filter menu) you can re-tweak the mask if needed.

You cannot open the files as Smart Objects directly into layers in PS, only as individual Smart Object files. (Edit In -> Open as Smart Objects in PS). But once both are open choose one of the files, then use Layer -> Duplicate Layer to copy it to the other, choosing the other open file as the Document in the Duplicate Layer window. Both layers are then Smart Objects and you can open ACR and see your LR edits by double clicking on the Layer thumbnail. Again, don't use the Filter -> Camera Raw Filter otherwise you end up with a "new" ACR window with none of your LR edits (though I don't know why it's set up to work that way). In addition to re-tweaking your LR mask edits you can then use layers to add layer masks and change blend modes if needed.

Dec 16, 2022 at 05:28 AM
newhaven
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Does Photoshop have something like LR's Auto Masking?

Why not just use PS?
Select> Sky
Select> Select and Mask...

Select and Mask... will let you shift, smooth, and feather the edge. You can always paint on the mask.

Dec 16, 2022 at 01:51 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Does Photoshop have something like LR's Auto Masking?

Dclark, thanks for the suggestion. I was not aware that ACR has the Auto Mask feature.

Peter: oye! I think I had a seniors moment. I've been using these new features in LR and loving them. In fact, they have further reduced how much I use PS. It would be logical to think Select Sky would be in PS if it is in LR. Not sure if it was the fact I was in PS or that I was working with two images that were opened as layers that left me not thinking of the obvious. Or maybe I need another coffee.

Newhaven, thanks for the added tip.

Dec 16, 2022 at 03:53 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.