Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

  

Help on digital picture displayer

  
 
Karl Witt
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help on digital picture displayer


Not sure if in the correct forum so kindly or just yell at me and tell me different if I need to move it

Here is my dilemma, I have shot images for a long time, I only have digitally displayed them never ever printed them (shame). So I have a dear friend who loves my work, asked me to print for her, I said nope. I was thinking if there was a quality digital image display that I could send images too remotely that would be awesome. Would want a high quality type display.
Does such a thing exist? Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Karl



Dec 09, 2022 at 08:45 PM
vbnut
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help on digital picture displayer


I have no idea about the quality, but a few days ago I got a group text from my niece asking the extended family to send photos to a Skylight Frame so that it would have some pictures when my brother-in-law opens it on Christmas day. I imagine its targeted at photos from cell-phone cameras, and the only detail I found is that the 10" is 1280x800 and the 15" is 1920x1080. I see they also have a Skylight Digital app that "is a Fire device app that turns your TV into a digital photo frame", so that might provide more choices for the (quality of the) device.


Dec 09, 2022 at 09:49 PM
Paul1959
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help on digital picture displayer


My wife bought an Aura frame as a Christmas gift several years ago; she wanted to keep up with my current photography adventures. I was skeptical but agreed to give it a go. I was surprised at the excellent image quality; my previous experiences with digital frames were poor. It's straightforward via app or desktop to add photos; anyone you invite can add pictures, and the image quality is excellent. The frame hangs on our kitchen wall and is the first thing regular visitors look at when they come over. I am giving several as gifts this year.


Dec 09, 2022 at 10:19 PM
Karl Witt
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help on digital picture displayer


vbnut wrote:
I have no idea about the quality, but a few days ago I got a group text from my niece asking the extended family to send photos to a Skylight Frame so that it would have some pictures when my brother-in-law opens it on Christmas day. I imagine its targeted at photos from cell-phone cameras, and the only detail I found is that the 10" is 1280x800 and the 15" is 1920x1080. I see they also have a Skylight Digital app that "is a Fire device app that turns your TV into a digital photo frame", so that might provide
...Show more

Thank you very much.Took a look, the 15" sounds nice. Looking into the image quality of the display.
Karl



Dec 10, 2022 at 06:56 PM
Karl Witt
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help on digital picture displayer


Paul1959 wrote:
My wife bought an Aura frame as a Christmas gift several years ago; she wanted to keep up with my current photography adventures. I was skeptical but agreed to give it a go. I was surprised at the excellent image quality; my previous experiences with digital frames were poor. It's straightforward via app or desktop to add photos; anyone you invite can add pictures, and the image quality is excellent. The frame hangs on our kitchen wall and is the first thing regular visitors look at when they come over. I am giving several as gifts this year.


Many thanks. Sounds like they are keen on display quality. Wish they had a slightly larger size but will study up more on this one !
Karl



Dec 10, 2022 at 06:57 PM
mhp_sd
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help on digital picture displayer


Check out Meural frames by netgear. After many failed attempts, my wife approves of this one!


Dec 10, 2022 at 08:11 PM
Karl Witt
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help on digital picture displayer


mhp_sd wrote:
Check out Meural frames by netgear. After many failed attempts, my wife approves of this one!


You had me excited to check this one out. Their reviews raise doubts on software issues. That is certainly expensive which would be fine but right on their site if far too many complaints, darn it! Nice size but funny they don't mention the image quality that I could find??
Thanks for the tip, not sure I would want to gamble on frustration at that price point though. I am glad your wife has it figured out.
Karl



Dec 10, 2022 at 08:56 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Charlie San
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help on digital picture displayer


For my birthday my son gave me an Echo Show 15 which looks remarkably like the Shylight Frame. It’s a neat “Alexa” device, a bit different in that it has “widgets”, and it seemed to me to have great but unfulfilled potential. I have Amazon Prime so I downloaded the Amazon Photo App and created several photo albums, set up the Show 15 to run slide shows of the albums, and they looked pretty good on the frame. We also have a 40 inch Fire TV in the Kitchen and I have run slide shows of those same albums on that too. They look very good on that, so much so that my wife wants me to add shows from her images from her phone.

So, look, the Skylight and Show 15 are similar but different, I know. You can email to Skylight but you can set up Amazon Photo albums that you can allow others to see too. They look remarkable on our large Kitchen TV too. I think both are useable and I plan on downloading the Skylight app and playing around. So, I am in the middle of using Amazon Devices and Photo and now I have another device and app to explore, so I might add more to this discussion over time or start another post later as I experiment.



Dec 10, 2022 at 10:36 PM
mhp_sd
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help on digital picture displayer




Karl Witt wrote:
You had me excited to check this one out. Their reviews raise doubts on software issues. That is certainly expensive which would be fine but right on their site if far too many complaints, darn it! Nice size but funny they don't mention the image quality that I could find??
Thanks for the tip, not sure I would want to gamble on frustration at that price point though. I am glad your wife has it figured out.
Karl


Watch B&H for sales. I picked mine up for around half price and haven’t had any issues



Dec 11, 2022 at 09:58 AM
Tim Combs
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help on digital picture displayer


I received a Nixplay last month as a gift. It's the 10" unit. Image quality is decent. Easy to use. You can upload from your phone app or email photos to it. One nice feature, it has a remote which is magnetized and stays on back of the unit when not in use. You can also enable a motion detector which will shut it off after a period of time with no movement or turn it on when you enter the room. You can get a 15" if you want bigger. For best viewing, you need to crop to the screen size and keep the orientation the same - landscape or portrait. Otherwise the unit interpolates color data and fills the open background with color from the image. Not necessarily a bad thing.


Dec 12, 2022 at 04:56 PM
Karl Witt
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Help on digital picture displayer


Charlie San wrote:
For my birthday my son gave me an Echo Show 15 which looks remarkably like the Shylight Frame. It’s a neat “Alexa” device, a bit different in that it has “widgets”, and it seemed to me to have great but unfulfilled potential. I have Amazon Prime so I downloaded the Amazon Photo App and created several photo albums, set up the Show 15 to run slide shows of the albums, and they looked pretty good on the frame. We also have a 40 inch Fire TV in the Kitchen and I have run slide shows of those same albums
...Show more

Interesting suggestion and looking into it Charlie. Thank you and if you have more to add since your post please PM me with updates!
Karl



Dec 18, 2022 at 10:30 AM
Karl Witt
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Help on digital picture displayer


Tim Combs wrote:
I received a Nixplay last month as a gift. It's the 10" unit. Image quality is decent. Easy to use. You can upload from your phone app or email photos to it. One nice feature, it has a remote which is magnetized and stays on back of the unit when not in use. You can also enable a motion detector which will shut it off after a period of time with no movement or turn it on when you enter the room. You can get a 15" if you want bigger. For best viewing, you need to crop to
...Show more

Appreciate the info Tim, I will look into this one as well! Thank you
Karl



Dec 18, 2022 at 10:31 AM
Charlie San
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Help on digital picture displayer


Since my post Amazon has updated the system on the Frame and it is now Fire TV capable. So I can now use it to watch broadcast TV and streaming channels. On the downside there is news that Big A is laying off folks especially in the Echo divisions. I read that they are disappointed that their Echo devices aren’t delivering economically despite so many of us who use the system. I kinda like the idea that I can stand anywhere in my house and say “Alexa, play Christmas music”.




Dec 19, 2022 at 11:21 AM







FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.