New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Currently renting the X-H2... would probably buy the X-T5

Fivesense
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Currently renting the X-H2... would probably buy the X-T5

I've had a rental X-H2 for a few days, to use at an indoor event. I didn't get it in time to feel confident enough to use it during the event, although I think I would have been fine since I was using my Nikon Z6II and 70-220 for the lion's share of the shooting.

But after a day of setting up the X-H2 and taking a few shots, it did re-ignite my love for my X-T4. The extra mp of the X-H2 are surely nice, but the files did show more noise than I'm accustomed to seeing in my final output (nothing that can't be easily fixed in post). I guarantee that's not a negative, but rather me just not really knowing how to work with the higher mp files yet. So I don't think there's anything wrong with the X-H2 or sensor or more mp. For my kind of shooting, 26 mp is simply enough.

However, I'm also so much more used to the features and functions of my X-T4. I can't say I've hardly given a fair test with the X-H2. I'll probably extend my rental a day or two, and not allow myself the use of any of my other camera- to force myself to really give it a go.

Ultimately however, if I find I do like the sensor and resulting output, I have a feeling I'll save a few bucks and get the X-T5. I don't do a lot of video (hardly any) so I think the X-T5 would just be a logical upgrade.

And yet, having tried the X-H2, I'm in no rush whatsoever. The X-T4 is a classic - not quite at the level of classic-ness as the Nikon D750 - but a reliable workhorse nonetheless. I won't need to rent an X-T5 before I buy...

Question, for those who have the X-H2: is the shutter release button "soft?" I use BBF, but when I press the shutter button to take the picture, it's soft to the point of being plush. Is that normal for the X-H2?

Dec 08, 2022 at 08:18 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Currently renting the X-H2... would probably buy the X-T5

All the new Fujis have that squishy soft touch shutter.

Dec 08, 2022 at 09:23 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Currently renting the X-H2... would probably buy the X-T5

Yes, it's normal and I miss that from my XH-1.

Dec 09, 2022 at 08:50 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Currently renting the X-H2... would probably buy the X-T5

I never understood the problems with working with larger files. File is a file. Yes it will take more HD space and processing power but then even my not to well PC from 5 yrs ago handles 100MP files fine. And if you look at your final print size or monitor size, the higher MPs will show lower noise, without any noise reduction. Maybe I don't know something. I haven't tried my hands on XT-5 yet as local company doesn't have XH-2 or XT-5 for rent yet.

Dec 09, 2022 at 09:54 AM
Richard-BB
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Currently renting the X-H2... would probably buy the X-T5

By releasing two XH cameras and one XT causing some confusion. X-T5 with old viewfinder: smaller camera than X-T4 so grip needed. Not convinced 40mp sensor so important. XH cameras more useful for most people. My guess X-T5 success will be short-lived. Looking to trade-in my X-T3 for X-T4. X-T4 out of production?

Dec 09, 2022 at 11:02 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Currently renting the X-H2... would probably buy the X-T5

bobby350z wrote:
I never understood the problems with working with larger files...

I'm with you on this. Storage capacities continue to increase as prices decline. Transfer speeds increase. Computer power continues to improve.

Over time all of these things move forward in parallel, and in the end it costs less now to work with bigger files and contemporary gear handles them as fast as or faster than older gear handled the smaller files.

I guess that if one is using a marginal computer, running out of disk space or similar that holding off on the newer gear would make more sense, but for the rest of this it isn't an issue.

Richard-BB wrote:
By releasing two XH cameras and one XT causing some confusion. X-T5 with old viewfinder: smaller camera than X-T4 so grip needed. Not convinced 40mp sensor so important. XH cameras more useful for most people. My guess X-T5 success will be short-lived. Looking to trade-in my X-T3 for X-T4. X-T4 out of production?

One interesting thing is there are plenty of viable options right now, enough to cover a wide range of personal preferences. For example, if you think you need a grip, you have the XT4 and the XH2 models. If you don't need a grip all of these are still options. If you value a smaller camera and aren't interested in using a grip (I'm totally not interested) then the XT5 gets you there.

Think 26MP is plenty? You can get the XT4 or the XH2s — the latter if you think the small increase in speed is worth the cost and the former if the previous sensors worked well for you... and you aren't persuaded that a bigger camera body is better.

There are multiple ways to look at the XT5 versus XH2 question. I understand that some may prefer a larger camera body... and some want to make the larger body even bigger by adding a grip. If so, the XH2 is for you. Others prefer to keep their cameras as small as possible (especially those of us who also have a separate larger system for some of our photography), and for such folks the XT5 seems like a better option.

I suppose the same holds true for the PASM versus dials interfaces. Like the PASM interface that chases after what all the other brands do? You can get it in the XH2. Prefer the dedicated physical controls that have been a key feature of Fujifilm's digital cameras? The XT5 is going to appeal more to you.

As to which model is more successful in the long term — XT or XH — time and the market will tell. My thinking on this — and I know that others will disagree — is that many who are looking for a larger camera body will already be looking at full frame systems with their larger range of available lenses and accessories. My own feeling is, "why would I want an APS-C sensor in a full-frame size body?" On the other hand, you can get a well-equipped APS-C camera in the XH2 line for less money than an arguably similarly equipped FF body from the competitors.

YMMV.

Dec 09, 2022 at 11:52 AM
Fivesense
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Currently renting the X-H2... would probably buy the X-T5

I don't have trouble processing or handling the larger files in computer. I should have specified more accurately that APS-C 40mp is just a pivot from what I've come to expect from 26mp Fuji files.

I suppose in general, since I have a bias for FX output, I'm curious how 40mp APS-C files stack up against 24.5mp FX files. I think they stack up just fine, with the main difference being purely aesthetic. eg: what's your preference between Fuji files and one's preferred FX (in my case, Nikon) files?

Again, I love Nikon and Fuji and I'm just looking for ways to functionally augment my preferences. I currently don't need to shoot 40mp APS-C to be effective. I do shoot both bodies side by side when needed. I just need to play around with 40mp files to see if the upgrade (X-T5) will truly benefit me. I'd go with the X-H2 if I didn't have the Z6II.

All in all, how lucky we are to have such great options.

Dec 09, 2022 at 12:32 PM
Joseph Marney
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Currently renting the X-H2... would probably buy the X-T5

I'm headed to Northern California tomorrow, and was packing my bag - planning to take only one body. For personal use, I prefer the X-T5. However, I tried the 100-400mm on it, and the ergonomics were bad enough that I decided to take the X-H2 as well and keep the 100-400 lens glued to the camera. I'll use the X-T5 for everything else.

I don't have a grip extension for the X-T5, and that might make enough of a difference to meet my needs, but that won't happen for this trip.

Dec 09, 2022 at 12:40 PM
goodbokeh
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Currently renting the X-H2... would probably buy the X-T5

Fivesense wrote:
I've had a rental X-H2 for a few days, to use at an indoor event. I didn't get it in time to feel confident enough to use it during the event, although I think I would have been fine since I was using my Nikon Z6II and 70-220 for the lion's share of the shooting.

But after a day of setting up the X-H2 and taking a few shots, it did re-ignite my love for my X-T4. The extra mp of the X-H2 are surely nice, but the files did show more noise than I'm accustomed to seeing in my final
...Show more

I just touch tested my X-H2 shutter button and it feels and operates very similar to my GFX100S. So yes, I would say your rented X-H2 is normal. That shutter button action is likely a design goal of the camera since the X-H2 and X-H2S haptics are in general a close match to Fuji's medium format 100S & 50S II.

Dec 09, 2022 at 12:52 PM
RickPJ
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Currently renting the X-H2... would probably buy the X-T5

I'm interested in where you are going with this. You have a Nikon Z system and you mention events. It would seem FX would be a better fit for you.

You also mentioned the noise which is completely consistent with putting that much resolution in a cropped format.

Just out of curiosity, what is it that you will be shooting that gives the smaller sensor and high resolution an advantage?

Maybe a Z7ii would be a better fit. Especially since you have some great glass it would appear.

Dec 09, 2022 at 01:54 PM
Fivesense
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Currently renting the X-H2... would probably buy the X-T5

RickPJ wrote:
I'm interested in where you are going with this. You have a Nikon Z system and you mention events. It would seem FX would be a better fit for you.

You also mentioned the noise which is completely consistent with putting that much resolution in a cropped format.

Just out of curiosity, what is it that you will be shooting that gives the smaller sensor and high resolution an advantage?

Maybe a Z7ii would be a better fit. Especially since you have some great glass it would appear.

I'm interested in where I'm going with this too. 🤣

The fact is that I like Fuji and want to use one as my second body. I don't know if there's an advantage to the smaller sensor with higher resolution, which is why I'm testing it out. I shoot a lot of indoor events, which include fast action sports. For sports, I favor the Z6II, although I did shoot a few basketball games with the X-T4 and was pleased overall with the results. But for indoor "stage" types of events where I tend to crop a lot, the higher resolution may be advantageous.

The other factor is that I have a few solid "red badge" XF lenses, and I am trying to leverage them. As I shot this week, I used the X-T4/X-H2 for my wider angle shots (16-55) and my Z6II for the longer reach (70-200). At this point, I'm wondering if I should invest in wider FX (non-prime) Z glass ($$$) or simply a higher resolution APS-C body (which would cost less). As you state, perhaps the investment in the higher resolution Nikon body makes more sense, but that still leaves me with the added investment needed in Z glass. And ultimately, I don't really think I need higher resolution FX, even for landscapes, since I'm not printing. Maybe I don't need higher resolution at all...

So I guess there's an economic component to this exercise for me, in addition to the "enjoyment" factor.

Dec 09, 2022 at 02:04 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Currently renting the X-H2... would probably buy the X-T5

Richard-BB wrote:
smaller camera than X-T4 so grip needed

I am glad that X-T5 is smaller / lighter than X-T4. One of the reasons I didn't switch from X-T3 to X-T4 is the added weight of X-T4. X-T3 grip works very well for me and I have never felt the need for an additional grip. I hope X-T5 is similar.

X-T5 with old viewfinder:

X-T5 EVF magnification has gone up compared to X-T3 and X-T4. Higher resolution would have been nice, but I suppose they had to cut cost somewhere to offer X-T5 at a lower price compared to X-H2. Nevertheless I don't find the resolution of X-T3 EVF as limiting.

Not convinced 40mp sensor so important.

It can be argued that for a large majority of users even 26MP is overkill. 40MP would be nice to have in cases where I am focal length limited as it gives a bit more cropping room.

XH cameras more useful for most people. My guess X-T5 success will be short-lived. Looking to trade-in my X-T3 for X-T4. X-T4 out of production?

I disagree. I think between X-H2 and X-T5, X-T5 is likely to be more successful at least for still shooters. X-H2s with its stacked sensor might have a niche of its own but its not going to be the mass-market model like X-T5.

In many ways X-T5 is the upgrade path for those X-T3 owners who didn't like the direction X-T4 went.

Dec 09, 2022 at 03:43 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Currently renting the X-H2... would probably buy the X-T5

Events etc, two bodies minimum, IMHO. Ideally same but you can have 2 different setups. if you can manage them. Again I am still not understanding where 40MP files will hurt. I it is the budget thing between XT-4 and XT-5 then get XT-4. If need faster action, and 24MP is plenty, then IMHO why not pick XH2s, why even think XT-5. Why crop in post, use the right lens. It is not that you need 300/400mm f2.8 or te 500/600mm f4 that the Fuji doesn't have.

Files wise XT-5 dont' look that good to me so far but then I am looking at them after getting used to 100MP GFX. I am looking from skin tones perspective. Detail in skin is also missing from what I am seeing. Could be wrong as I have not done my own testing yet.

Dec 09, 2022 at 05:38 PM
JustShootMe
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Currently renting the X-H2... would probably buy the X-T5

bobby350z wrote:
Files wise XT-5 dont' look that good to me so far but then I am looking at them after getting used to 100MP GFX. I am looking from skin tones perspective. Detail in skin is also missing from what I am seeing. Could be wrong as I have not done my own testing yet.

I took some self ports today for work with the x-t5 , 33mm 1.4 , and a strobe. Detail in skin isn't missing at all , with the right lenses it's more detail than I want. Photo shopping every blemish off yourself is overated.

Dec 09, 2022 at 07:11 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Currently renting the X-H2... would probably buy the X-T5

JustShootMe wrote:
I took some self ports today for work with the x-t5 , 33mm 1.4 , and a strobe. Detail in skin isn't missing at all , with the right lenses it's more detail than I want. Photo shopping every blemish off yourself is overated.

Well that's why I don't take pictures of myself, only good looking models.

Dec 09, 2022 at 09:07 PM
goodbokeh
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Currently renting the X-H2... would probably buy the X-T5

bobby350z wrote:

bobby, you've been out of full frame for awhile after benching Sony & Canon. You're used to the 80 & 110 on your 100S. That is a really tough act to follow.

Maybe the X-T5 files you were seeing had the Smooth Skin Effect on or there were X-Trans complications? Maybe the lens used was an older model? All I can say is my X-H2 with my 50/2.0, 80/2.8 and 90/2.0 is producing files I really like. But I don't photograph professional models like you do, and so I'll be interested in your future X-T5 judgement, if your interest doesn't wane.

Dec 09, 2022 at 09:09 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Currently renting the X-H2... would probably buy the X-T5

goodbokeh wrote:
bobby, you've been out of full frame for awhile after benching Sony & Canon. You're used to the 80 & 110 on your 100S. That is a really tough act to follow.

Maybe the X-T5 files you were seeing had the Smooth Skin Effect on or there were X-Trans complications? Maybe the lens used was an older model? All I can say is my X-H2 with my 50/2.0, 80/2.8 and 90/2.0 is producing files I really like. But I don't photograph professional models like you do, and so I'll be interested in your future X-T5 judgement, if your interest doesn't wane.
...Show more

Thank you. I definitely want to do my own testing as to be honest I don't like most of the youtubers. Hopefully it gets available for rent.

Dec 10, 2022 at 10:28 AM
Richard-BB
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Currently renting the X-H2... would probably buy the X-T5

Thank you for addressing my points so succinctly. As X-T3 owner to checkout X-T5. Agree X-T4 on the heavy side. Not in favour of top screen as on most Nikon Z cameras; so XH cameras non-starters. My other camera Sony A7RIII cost 2.500 euros in September 2020 a bargain compared to new Fuji APS-C cameras. My search for my next camera on hold owing to the rising cost of living in France. Retired Englishman; strictly amateur photographer. Best wishes for 2023 Year of the Rabbit.

Dec 11, 2022 at 11:50 AM
goodbokeh
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Currently renting the X-H2... would probably buy the X-T5

Richard-BB wrote:
My other camera Sony A7RIII cost 2.500 euros in September 2020 a bargain compared to new Fuji APS-C cameras. My search for my next camera on hold owing to the rising cost of living in France. Retired Englishman; strictly amateur photographer. Best wishes for 2023 Year of the Rabbit.

I used to have the A7R3. Great 42MP BSI sensor, Sony should still offer it in a their new design line or sell it to others (like Leica). That body and firmware though, it really frustrated me. But the upside was its shortcomings encouraged me to grow as a photographer.

Yes, taking your time is wise. There will be more Fuji models to come in 2023. Next up I believe will be the X-Pro4. That will be a controversial design for sure ;-) Since the X-Pro is now a niche model I hope Fuji can resist the mundane masses and use the 26MP stacked sensor. What a street camera that would be with silent operation, rapid fps, and the best Fuji AF!

Year of the Rabbit sounds better than most years lately, best wishes :-)

Dec 11, 2022 at 01:28 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Currently renting the X-H2... would probably buy the X-T5

goodbokeh wrote:
I used to have the A7R3. Great 42MP BSI sensor, Sony should still offer it in a their new design line or sell it to others (like Leica). That body and firmware though, it really frustrated me. But the upside was its shortcomings encouraged me to grow as a photographer.

Yes, taking your time is wise. There will be more Fuji models to come in 2023. Next up I believe will be the X-Pro4. That will be a controversial design for sure ;-) Since the X-Pro is now a niche model I hope Fuji can resist the mundane masses and
...Show more

They’re going to have to offer two XPro’s. I definitely won’t buy it with the 26MP sensor and definitely will with the 40MP. I suspect about half of the potential buyers agree and disagree with me.

I also liked the A7R3 sensor but I despised the camera. It just never got out of the way. My last high res Sony body and my excuse to exit the system after the A9, which I liked better but not enough. The improvements in the IV and V mean little to me. I’m not chasing a camera that clears the buffer faster. I just want one that gets out of the way. That’s a big reason I like the XT/XPro bodies. Not Leica like but better. But with the 150-600 it’s an XH2 all the way. I may try a grip extension for one of my XT5’s and see how that feels with the bigger lenses.

Gordon

Dec 11, 2022 at 05:03 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.