New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3              29       30       end

Archive 2022 · Pre-order: Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Lens

tsdevine
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Pre-order: Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Lens

Looking at the Tamron 20-40/2.8 and 28-75/2.8....I'm thinking it can/will be smaller than the 24-70 GM II, especially being a G and assuming the design goals are for trying to make it smallish. Although the large front element/filter size is adds size to the GM, the body is more slender.

But I'll be the first to say I don't really know.

mudlake wrote:
Iím guessing that moving the focal length to 20mm will mean this f4 lens will be similar in size to the 24-70GM II. Maybe slightly smaller. The only way to get even smaller is to make it variable aperture.

Dec 07, 2022 at 02:43 PM
Roadless

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Pre-order: Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Lens

Assuming it will have good image quality, and is fairly light weight, then this would be my dream one lens hiking /backpacking lens.
I shoot landscape so f4 is what I prefer for weight reduction.

Dec 08, 2022 at 03:41 PM
PaulMoorePhoto
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Pre-order: Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Lens

Iím curious to see how big it will be and how much distortion it will have. I assume sharpness will be good but those other two could be a deal breaker. If all is good Iíll sell my two f/2.8 zooms and replace with this one. The focal length range is perfect for my needs.

Dec 08, 2022 at 04:35 PM
lensfan
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Pre-order: Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Lens

As a travel shooter never found sexy any f4 zoom. I guess it won't be a do it all lens unless one is ready for compromises similar to those 24-105 type lenses.

Dec 08, 2022 at 07:30 PM
lostinaustin

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Pre-order: Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Lens

Would much rather have an updated 24-105 f4 OR a compact 70-200 f4.

This rumor doesn't really make much sense to me because I just don't see how it slots into any other line up.

Dec 08, 2022 at 08:25 PM
Dave Sanders
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Pre-order: Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Lens

Every 24-XXmm zoom release, there are a number who insist that if it only went to 20mm, they'd buy it. I guess this is for them.

I'm not really a zoom shooter, but I'm curious about this one, if it does indeed appear. It has potential to be a very nice tripod lens for me.

lostinaustin wrote:
Would much rather have an updated 24-105 f4 OR a compact 70-200 f4.

This rumor doesn't really make much sense to me because I just don't see how it slots into any other line up.

Dec 08, 2022 at 08:58 PM
lensfan
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Pre-order: Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Lens

Dave Sanders wrote:
Every 24-XXmm zoom release, there are a number who insist that if it only went to 20mm, they'd buy it. I guess this is for them.

I'm no optics engineer but looks like the the zoom lens producers have issues getting from 28-xx to 24-xx. For some 28mm may work, but for travel 24 vs 28 makes a lot of difference. I would prefer to have an internal focusing 24-70 GM II, however this one is highly unlikely as there have been no precedent.

Dec 08, 2022 at 09:44 PM
PaulMoorePhoto
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Pre-order: Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Lens

Iím surprised this isnít receiving more positive comments. I realize we all have different needs for our particular types of photography but for me, this would be the difference between carrying one zoom or carrying two zooms. Any zoom that starts at 24 isnít wide enough so Iíve opted for the ones that start at 28, knowing Iíll have to carry something wider. I very rarely shoot shallow DOF shots but when I do I want something faster than f/2.8, so I use primes for that. Zooms are for times when you donít want to have to change lenses and this range is perfect for that. I can see how event shooters would rather have f/2.8 but as a hobbyist f/2.8 kinda falls into an in-between zone that is not useful for much. F/4 with IS is fine most of the time because Iíd usually be stopping down to f/5.6-8 anyway, and the IS can help keep my ISO low.

Dec 09, 2022 at 12:16 PM
Blueshound
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Pre-order: Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Lens

I remain very interested in this lens. If Sony can bring it at reasonably low weight & size, very good optical IQ (which I find the PZ 16-35 to have), I am a very likely buyer.

I don't think I'd be alone. The big perk would be the option to head out with this one lens only, which is something that I very much like during travel. I'm done with sore neck and shoulders.

Brian

Dec 09, 2022 at 12:24 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Pre-order: Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Lens

A mate to the 16-35/4 PZ would make a very desirable two lens kit for travel and many other situations. If it matched the 16-35 PZ in design language, rendering, and optical performance, I would be an early buyer. I've been hoping for and half-expecting this. It seems like an obvious step for Sony.

Dec 09, 2022 at 03:16 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Pre-order: Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Lens

PaulMoorePhoto wrote:
Iím surprised this isnít receiving more positive comments. I realize we all have different needs for our particular types of photography but for me, this would be the difference between carrying one zoom or carrying two zooms. Any zoom that starts at 24 isnít wide enough so Iíve opted for the ones that start at 28, knowing Iíll have to carry something wider. I very rarely shoot shallow DOF shots but when I do I want something faster than f/2.8, so I use primes for that. Zooms are for times when you donít want to have to change lenses and
...Show more

It really depends what one shoots. I would feel hampered by the f4 as much of my shooting is in dim situations where even 2.8 donít really cut it. I typically need the speed of a prime to enable me to photograph in challenging light.

Dec 09, 2022 at 03:24 PM
gocolts
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Pre-order: Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Lens

PaulMoorePhoto wrote:
Iím surprised this isnít receiving more positive comments. I realize we all have different needs for our particular types of photography but for me, this would be the difference between carrying one zoom or carrying two zooms. Any zoom that starts at 24 isnít wide enough so Iíve opted for the ones that start at 28, knowing Iíll have to carry something wider. I very rarely shoot shallow DOF shots but when I do I want something faster than f/2.8, so I use primes for that. Zooms are for times when you donít want to have to change lenses and
...Show more

Yea I'm the same way with regards to f/2.8, specifically between approx. 16mm & 70mm. Either f/4 or even f/5.6 max is fine (outdoor pics in good light where I don't want to change lenses) or if I'm indoors or in bad light, I typically want the safety net of something faster than f/2.8, and with the cropping ability of the A1, and other bodies, I can typically get away with it. If I plan to print big, I'm typically in a situation where I'll take the time to change lenses to ensure I got the optimal lens.

All that said, the 20-70mm range in one lens interests me, but it's gotta be sharp & small. So we'll see.

Dec 09, 2022 at 03:36 PM
Tony Ross
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Pre-order: Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Lens

The quality of SAR's "rumours" has dropped considerably since the Japanese source stopped.

Don't count on this one materialising.

Dec 09, 2022 at 03:52 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Pre-order: Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Lens

Tony Ross wrote:
The quality of SAR's "rumours" has dropped considerably since the Japanese source stopped.

Don't count on this one materialising.

This one is not really SAR, itís from digicameinfo, and they like Nokishita used to be are generally right!

Dec 09, 2022 at 11:57 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Pre-order: Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Lens

chiron wrote:
A mate to the 16-35/4 PZ would make a very desirable two lens kit for travel and many other situations. If it matched the 16-35 PZ in design language, rendering, and optical performance, I would be an early buyer. I've been hoping for and half-expecting this. It seems like an obvious step for Sony.

I have a slightly different take one this. I have the PZ 16-35 and the CV 15. If I get this 20-70, I would match it with the CV for a super light and slow combo. The 16-35 would have too much overlap with the 20-70.

Dec 10, 2022 at 04:22 AM
chiron
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Pre-order: Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Lens

Douglas L wrote:
I have a slightly different take one this. I have the PZ 16-35 and the CV 15. If I get this 20-70, I would match it with the CV for a super light and slow combo. The 16-35 would have too much overlap with the 20-70.

Yes, I can see your point. I am thinking in terms of carrying two lenses and having one that goes wide to 16mm while also covering up to 35mm and the other covering a very wide range and going up to 70mm. Each lens would fit a different kind of shooting situation and together give very broad coverage and flexibility with only two lenses. The difference between 15mm and 16mm does not feel that significant to me, so I would rather have the zoom very wide lens with me.

Dec 10, 2022 at 05:04 AM
Chris_88
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Pre-order: Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Lens

I have to admit, when I first read about this rumor, I misread it as saying FE 24-70G, and thought OK, this is simply a replacement/update for that mediocre 24-70 4 that came out shortly after the a7(r) launch.

20-70 4 sounds a bit more spicey. Everybody seems to be toying with non-traditional FL and/or aperture combinations in some of their zooms these days, with Tamron leading the way.

The 24-105 is a decent lens, but may be Sony felt another f4 zoom was needed for the "standard FL" territory, while the 12-24 4 and the PZ 16-35 4 cover the UWA segment. Of course, that would suggest that at some point, a longer f4 zoom improving upon the 70-200 4 and the slower 70-300 might be in the works as well.

Dec 10, 2022 at 05:14 AM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Pre-order: Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Lens

chiron wrote:
Yes, I can see your point. I am thinking in terms of carrying two lenses and having one that goes wide to 16mm while also covering up to 35mm and the other covering a very wide range and going up to 70mm. Each lens would fit a different kind of shooting situation and together give very broad coverage and flexibility with only two lenses. The difference between 15mm and 16mm does not feel that significant to me, so I would rather have the zoom very wide lens with me.

I see what you mean. For me the most ideal light weight combo would be a 14-28 f4 that takes screw-in filter and a 24-105 f4 II with better rendering and constrast. I will keep an eye on this rumored 20-70, would be a nice lens to carry around if I know I won't need wider than 20mm or f2.8. But I also have the 24-70 GM II, hard to justify another lens in the somewhat similar range even though they are different.

Dec 10, 2022 at 06:05 AM
nhsonyshooter
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Pre-order: Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Lens

I can see this as a landscape lens for some people. But I don't really see it as a walk around lens at f4. At least for me the 2.8 20-40mm makes more sense for that purpose but it depends on the individual and what maybe they pair it with. The size will most likely be bigger than the 20-40 as well. The Tamron influence is present though which I like to see. Sony making some non traditional lenses is great.

Dec 10, 2022 at 07:17 AM
Alan Parker
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Pre-order: Sony FE 20-70mm f/4 G Lens

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-20-70mm-f-4-0-g-lens-could-be-announced-on-january-17/

SAR says it's two weeks away and might be priced at $1600

Edited on Jan 03, 2023 at 02:23 AM · View previous versions

Jan 02, 2023 at 04:28 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.