Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Do you use the back button focus on Canon R5?

cordero

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do you use the back button focus on Canon R5?

I would like to know if you use the back button focus on the Canon R5. I'm not sure if it is a good idea.

Nov 27, 2022 at 11:48 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do you use the back button focus on Canon R5?

cordero wrote:
I would like to know if you use the back button focus on the Canon R5. I'm not sure if it is a good idea.

I use both the AF-ON button and the * button, the former for spot AF and the latter for the eyeballs/tracker AF.

EBH

Nov 28, 2022 at 12:07 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do you use the back button focus on Canon R5?

I'm with EBH, although I use the AF-ON for eyeballs and * for spot AF.

Been using BBF for many years - the newer cameras with multiple buttons make it even more useful, especially with all the AF modes that are available now.

Mark

Nov 28, 2022 at 02:23 AM
jpeter
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do you use the back button focus on Canon R5?

This has been my setup for a few months. Top right back button = animal detect focus. Middle right BB = magnify. Top left BB = spot AF.

Nov 28, 2022 at 05:46 AM
Pete73
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do you use the back button focus on Canon R5?

I use the shutter button half way to focus and the back button to switch to eye AF. I could never get used to back button AF, it was never intuitive for me. The eye AF with the back button has been brilliant.

Nov 28, 2022 at 08:27 AM
dugaut
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do you use the back button focus on Canon R5?

I think with mirrorless and eye detection/tracking people are using double back button focusing (even three buttons).

Nov 28, 2022 at 08:29 AM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Do you use the back button focus on Canon R5?

I use the AF-On ("back-button") for whatever AF Zone I have selected. (I have the AF Point Selection button configured to toggle quickly through the Zone selections); and the * "back-button" to instantly enable Eye-detection, which is configured to initiate precisely on the Zone AF point location prior to switching.

Edited on Nov 28, 2022 at 11:28 PM · View previous versions

Nov 28, 2022 at 03:04 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Do you use the back button focus on Canon R5?

I found using BBF to be much more intuitive when I first learned about it years ago and can't stand to use the shutter button to AF any more. I live in Servo mode 100% of the time so using BBF allows me to instantly switch over to single shot mode when the need arises by simply letting off any of the BBF buttons.

3 BBF guy here since day one with the R5. I changed it up once or twice but settled on this config for the past year or so.

AF-On = Eye detect
Auto exposure lock = Spot
AF point selection = Expanded

I use Expanded mainly for when the other options struggle to get locked on. Once this mode locks I usually can jump over to to spot or Eye detect depending on the critter and light.

Nov 28, 2022 at 05:07 PM
patotts
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Do you use the back button focus on Canon R5?

I didn't use back button for focus in the traditional BFB sense (so I answered no), but I used it to turn eye-focus on or off.

Nov 28, 2022 at 05:24 PM
exdeejjjaaaa
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Do you use the back button focus on Canon R5?

cordero wrote:

it is a good idea if it makes sense and vice versa ... it makes less sense w/ dSLMs

Nov 28, 2022 at 06:14 PM
Alan Kefauver
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Do you use the back button focus on Canon R5?

For me, AF=eye tracking, Asterisk=spot focus, and that third button (whatever it's called) =Zone.

Nov 29, 2022 at 09:00 AM
jpeter
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Do you use the back button focus on Canon R5?

I started using the BB focus before the R5. That being said, I did use front button focus for years until i saw the light. For me, BBF focus solves a problem: The last second focus jump to a branch in front or behind of the subject. Because it happens at the last instant, you can't do anything about it. Now that I am on BBF I tend to use servo more. JP

Nov 29, 2022 at 09:09 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.