New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Canon Speedlight 580ex II - Broken Infrared Plastic

Side1Cincy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Speedlight 580ex II - Broken Infrared Plastic

The infrared plastic piece on my Canon 580ex II cracked today. I bent down to grab something and it slipped out of my hoodie pocket and the plastic busted. The flash gun appears to be undamaged except the infrared piece got knocked out & cracked. Any advice on replacing/fixing this? I've searched for a replacement part, but haven't had much success. Is it even worth fixing? The flash is in great condition except for this issue.

Link to picture

Nov 26, 2022 at 11:07 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Speedlight 580ex II - Broken Infrared Plastic

I'd probably try it myself. Infrared isn't visible so I'm not sure if the piece of plastic does much or not. Are you using the infrared for focusing?

Used under $100 so I'm not sure if you can get it fixed for less. Should be useful if everything else is fine unless there's some sort of safety issue I'm not aware of

Nov 27, 2022 at 12:11 AM
anselwannab
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Speedlight 580ex II - Broken Infrared Plastic

If you can put it back in and it is only cracked, that shouldn’t stop it from ‘working’.

Nov 28, 2022 at 01:35 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Speedlight 580ex II - Broken Infrared Plastic

I'd use a piece of 2" clear packing tape (the thick-ish, sticky good type), on the inside of the lens. If the refitted lens won't stay in place, I'd put a thin bead of clear silicon sealer over its 'seating' position, on the flash, and stick it on.

I expect it is worth replacing the red lens, because that's probably what makes the red focus-assist pattern look red.

Nov 28, 2022 at 07:06 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password