New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Ittoqqorttoormiit

sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ittoqqorttoormiit

The only village along Scoresbysund, population in the 300's. Considered one of the most remote villages in the world. Shipments by boat arrive twice a year.

Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2022

Canon EOS R7    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens    107mm    f/4.5    1/800s    640 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Edited on Nov 27, 2022 at 03:25 PM · View previous versions

Nov 26, 2022 at 07:43 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ittoqqorttoormiit

Interesting.

The houses almost look like Colorform stickers pasted on a page.

Nov 26, 2022 at 08:18 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ittoqqorttoormiit

An image that promotes much imagination.
Definitely not a destination you see images of frequently posted
The shot leaves me wondering how far does the village extend, and then is it all barren land.
What do the natives do to survive, (hunt/fish).

All dirt roads, yet I see no forms of transportation. Maybe snowmobiles and 4 wheelers are used. I watched a documentary on Greenland, and they have a prison there, where its like community living, and all inmates are allowed to leave for the day to go to work. Most were incrassated for drugs and alcohol abuse.

My guess is you were on a passing ship. Thanks for posting.

Nov 27, 2022 at 09:26 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ittoqqorttoormiit

Cool picture.

I am curious about the village. What keeps it going? Is there some sort of industry?

Nov 27, 2022 at 11:48 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ittoqqorttoormiit

I like your composition; the amount of water at the bottom and the amount of sky at the top.

Perhaps the white point can be adjusted, as the snow looks a bit grey? Is that a natural/normal colour for the water or a byproduct of the sky?

Don

Nov 27, 2022 at 12:26 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ittoqqorttoormiit

Thanks everyone.

First, more background. The Danish government wanted a settlement in this part of Greenland, I think to strengthen their position against claims from Norway. Inuit were relocated to the village which was established in 1925. Hunting and fishing have been central, with a limited but growing amount of tourism. Which essentially consists of ships such as ours heading into the fjord system in this area of East Greenland, latitude 70 degrees north. There is one place to stay, a post office to buy stamps commemorating a visit, and little else. Snowmobiles and off-road vehicles are needed. There are no other settlements for hundreds of miles.

Color Forms!! Great description, Kent!

IndyFab, pretty much the whole town is visible, except for a stray building up the hill, and, surprisingly, a heliport. The copter can fly the 24 miles to an airstrip which is not permanently manned but can receive flights from Iceland and west Greenland. Must be supported by the Danish government. Terrain is barren, hilly and across the water mountainous, with glaciers.

Jim, and it struggles to keep going. Population has varied from mid-400's to low 300's. Hard life with arctic winters, current visible light about 4 hours/day with the sun below the horizon. And the days will, of course, shorten further over the next 3-4 weeks. We were not able to land by Zodiac. As we approached the wind was too strong, water too rough. On our exit from the fjords, when I took the image, we were not able to land since several crew members and passengers, isolated on board, were Covid positive and the town feared contagion, with a vulnerable, elderly population.

Don, Thanks. I agree about the greyish snow. Struggled with pulling back highlights to maintain some detail but perhaps went to far. Water is as i recall, as are the vibrant colors of the village buildings.

Scott

Nov 27, 2022 at 12:53 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ittoqqorttoormiit

some more..

Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2022

Canon EOS R7    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens    312mm    f/5.6    1/640s    640 ISO    +0.3 EV  

GoetzPhotoz 2022

Canon EOS R7    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens    100mm    f/5.6    1/640s    640 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Nov 27, 2022 at 12:58 PM
pbraymond
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ittoqqorttoormiit

I like the proportions of water and sky, enough for context but does not dominate at all, since it looks like it was grey and dull. The colorful buildings certainly standout, and the crop ratio fits great. I think I would be tempted to push contrast more but I'm pretty sure that would not represent the real conditions well or the image you intended.

Nov 28, 2022 at 09:37 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ittoqqorttoormiit

Cool place and cool shots. Much has been said about the place. personally I prefer the last two images.

Socrate

Nov 29, 2022 at 01:20 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.