New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Canon 5D Classic Vs 6d

Stellerseaeagle

[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 5D Classic Vs 6d

Hello,

After I have moved completely to Sony mirrorless system, I am itching to hold Canon DSLR camera in hand again. I want to spend minimal. Lot of rave reviews of Canon 5D classic as it seems its files have that nostalgic feeling of film era (plus different color science than most of the cameras followed it). Most of these reviews indicate that Canon 6D (ver 1) seems to be the next one to replicate same effect in its files. As Canon 6D is newer camera and is priced fairly close to Canon 5D Classic on some of the second hand gear shops, I am confused about which one to buy.

Any suggestions/ recommendations? Anyone had experience with both cameras - if yes please share your thoughts.

Thanks for your help

Nov 26, 2022 at 03:21 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 5D Classic Vs 6d

I haven't shot the 6D but high ISO looks comparable/better than more recent cameras. That said I'd like to get another 5D Classic. Got some nice files using one.

I've heard that the 6D center point is really good for af. People complain about 5D af but I remember it being more accurate than the 40D, and thinking I could use 50/1.8 at 1.8 much more easily. 5D only goes to 3200 but a lot of people don't go that high, and again much better than aps of the day imo. Probably more prone to banding but if I get another plan to use it at high ISO more than I did

Edited on Nov 26, 2022 at 05:34 PM · View previous versions

Nov 26, 2022 at 05:25 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 5D Classic Vs 6d

I've owned multiple copies of both the 5D and 6D. Get the 6D. No hesitation.

Nov 26, 2022 at 05:26 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 5D Classic Vs 6d

I never understood why people liked the images from the 5D, except maybe it was a first FF for some people. The 1DsII was better and the AF was better as well. They are all too obsolete today. At least the 6D is not so old and uses current LP-E6 series batteries.

EBH

Nov 26, 2022 at 05:50 PM
thedruid
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 5D Classic Vs 6d

Have to agree with @EB-1 I don't get the hype or nostalgia over the 5D, I had two of them for 3 years and gladly moved on.

Nov 26, 2022 at 06:37 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 5D Classic Vs 6d

I really liked my original 5D back when I was using it! Paired with the 24-105 IS it was a revolution, when digital really became real for me. However, having gone through all the 5D#s, they have each gotten better. The lack of a dust shaker and the anemic 12 MP by todays standards, the small rear display, etc make me wonder if I could regularly use it today. I gave mine to a friend and she is still happily using it, so ...

I haven't used an original 6D but I have the 6D2 and it is a fine camera next to my 5D4. I'd say that if the 6D specs meet your needs you will be happier with that camera.

Nov 26, 2022 at 07:00 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 5D Classic Vs 6d

Flip a coin or get whichever is the best deal. I tried a 5D again and just found it lame compared to later cameras.

P.S. Its official name is ‘5D’, not ‘5D Classic’.

Nov 26, 2022 at 09:24 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 5D Classic Vs 6d

Stellerseaeagle wrote:
Hello,

After I have moved completely to Sony mirrorless system, I am itching to hold Canon DSLR camera in hand again. I want to spend minimal. Lot of rave reviews of Canon 5D classic as it seems its files have that nostalgic feeling of film era (plus different color science than most of the cameras followed it). Most of these reviews indicate that Canon 6D (ver 1) seems to be the next one to replicate same effect in its files. As Canon 6D is newer camera and is priced fairly close to Canon 5D Classic on some of the second hand
...Show more

It's funny I looked at the time on your post and you posted about the same time I was thinking about how I need to get another one today! So who knows if I will but I gotta vote 5D

Nov 26, 2022 at 09:43 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 5D Classic Vs 6d

Among the oldies of digital yesteryear I must say my fav was the EOS 6D. Like the original 5D, it really only had one good AF point–the center cross—but is was a darn good one that could focus on almost anything. The 6D is many times better than the 5D in terms of low light focus and image quality. I still have thousands of RAW files from my ancient 5D, and while wonderful in good light, it was terrible in low light. At ISO 1600 5D noise looked like sand. The 6D was the first camera I could use almost anywhere and squeeze out a good image.

Nov 26, 2022 at 10:03 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 5D Classic Vs 6d

When it came out, the 5D was a marvel — the first Canon (or any brand) full frame camera that wasn't priced like a 1-series body. It was a solid, credible camera... at that time.

But as a person who owned the 5D (and then the 5DII and the 5DsR), the "romance" about the 5D never made sense to me. The 5D had more noise issues than later FF Canon bodies, was "only" 12MP, and sucked dust like a Hoover. The files are fine, but there's nothing miraculous about them.

Whatever "quality" you imagine that you'll get from the 5D can just as easily be obtained from other Canon FF bodies.

If I were in your shoes I'd probably be looking at some newer body...

Nov 26, 2022 at 11:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 5D Classic Vs 6d

The 6D trounces the 5D. There is no question.

I owned (and loved) both. The 5D is really quite dated; it's 12Mp files are DR limited and noisy by modern standards. But the 6D can honestly hold its own with most modern cameras in terms of file quality and noise (if you discount ridiculous DR magic tricks).

Its AF system (the center AF point specifically) was the best I had used on any Canon DSLR at that time. It put both the 5D and 5D2 to shame. It even makes a decent action camera if you can live with 4fps, haha. (I shot youth soccer with mine sometimes.)

The 6D also has micro-focus adjust that the 5D lacks. This will let you overcome lens/body incompatibilities that the 5D cannot.

It lacks an AF joystick, but you can configure the multiway controller for direct AF point movement. (Though using the center AF point only with a focus/recompose technique will yield the best results with either of these cameras.) It also lacks a dedicated flash exposure compensation button; I programmed the Set button for this, IIRC.

I would have no hesitation taking a 6D on most assignments today.

Nov 26, 2022 at 11:40 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 5D Classic Vs 6d

I remember looking at 1600 & 3200 5D files and thinking they looked much, much better than aps using 800. Although I am skeptical 5D is over 2 stops better. Used 40D before the 5D.

Even the 30D seemed fine with 1600, 5D should be much better. Might get some artifacts, though. PP'D 40D iso 3200 file shot in the dark semi recently got banding. Fairly extreme situation, though, really. Wasn't too bad to clean up.

I was using an artist's paintbrush to clean up the dust on a sensor last week. Not perfect if you shoot f/11+ but I've found it not too terribly hard to improve things

Nov 26, 2022 at 11:59 PM
Stellerseaeagle

[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 5D Classic Vs 6d

garyvot wrote:
The 6D trounces the 5D. There is no question.

I owned (and loved) both. The 5D is really quite dated; it's 12Mp files are DR limited and noisy by modern standards. But the 6D can honestly hold its own with most modern cameras in terms of file quality and noise (if you discount ridiculous DR magic tricks).

Its AF system (the center AF point specifically) was the best I had used on any Canon DSLR at that time. It put both the 5D and 5D2 to shame. It even makes a decent action camera if you can live with 4fps,
...Show more

Thanks for clear suggestion. I am now seriously considering 6d. As I have used 1dxII I prefer to use slightly bigger camera so now considering 5d mark II as well.

Nov 27, 2022 at 12:03 AM
Stellerseaeagle

[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 5D Classic Vs 6d

gdanmitchell wrote:
When it came out, the 5D was a marvel — the first Canon (or any brand) full frame camera that wasn't priced like a 1-series body. It was a solid, credible camera... at that time.

But as a person who owned the 5D (and then the 5DII and the 5DsR), the "romance" about the 5D never made sense to me. The 5D had more noise issues than later FF Canon bodies, was "only" 12MP, and sucked dust like a Hoover. The files are fine, but there's nothing miraculous about them.

Whatever "quality" you imagine that you'll get from the 5D can just as
...Show more

Thanks. Yeah looks like I will go with 6d. Thanks for sharing reality

Nov 27, 2022 at 12:05 AM
Stellerseaeagle

[X]
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 5D Classic Vs 6d

AmbientMike wrote:
It's funny I looked at the time on your post and you posted about the same time I was thinking about how I need to get another one today! So who knows if I will but I gotta vote 5D

Hahaha well, we might have been watching same YouTube videos as well 😆

Nov 27, 2022 at 12:06 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 5D Classic Vs 6d

Stellerseaeagle wrote:
Hahaha well, we might have been watching same YouTube videos as well 😆

Nope. Just happened to think about it out looking around etc.

Nov 27, 2022 at 12:15 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 5D Classic Vs 6d

Stellerseaeagle wrote:
Thanks for clear suggestion. I am now seriously considering 6d. As I have used 1dxII I prefer to use slightly bigger camera so now considering 5d mark II as well.

You are welcome. One good thing about buying used (from a retailer) is that you can return an item that doesn't feel right to you without much penalty for the seller, so you could consider trying both.

Re. the 5D2: I'd honestly probably choose the 6D over this model too. IMO, the 5D3 was the first 5-series camera that mostly fixed the focusing issues with the outer AF points, but I'm not sure if that fits your price range...

Edit: you could always add a grip to the 6D if you prefer a larger camera.

Nov 27, 2022 at 12:16 AM
IlyaSnopchenko

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 5D Classic Vs 6d

If the 6D has the same AF as the 5D Mark II, I would probably avoid it (I sincerely hope it's better). I understand that I must've been spoiled as a 1-series user, but for serious work I would've bought a 6D Mark II or at least an 80D. Well, I have an 80D; while not perfect (and measurably worse than 1D Mark IV, which is unsurprising) it has pretty good AF, and great IQ. I'll probably have to put mine up for sale soon, though I'm reluctant inside.

Nov 27, 2022 at 02:56 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 5D Classic Vs 6d

The 5d and 5dIi aren’t all that different in AF and ISO performance. The 6D beats both of those cameras in low light AF lock, in camera JPG, and dynamic range/high ISO. Take more regard of the testimonies of those that actually had these camera and used them over any comments from those that haven’t, the 6D is a better camera in all regard than the 5D and Mark II.

If you can push the budget a bit, then the R is the next camera to look at and beats the DR and ISO of the 6d, and provides that same feeling of film as the 5d.

As to the “magic” of the 5D, it was due to two things: the ISO noise grain was very film like and uniform, and there was no real AA filter, making detail pop. Later bodies had clumpy ISO issues (red and blue channel noise was pretty poor) and canon increased the effects of the AA filters, producing more muddied detail.

Nov 27, 2022 at 06:10 AM
campy
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 5D Classic Vs 6d

I have both but I bought the 5D just to take to beach instead of my 6D because I only paid $200 for the 5D and 6D was well over $1000 at the time. The 6D is a better camera but like others, there is something about the pictures from the 5D that's appealing.

Nov 27, 2022 at 07:16 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password