New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2022 · Canon LP-E6NH

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon LP-E6NH

What is the situation with the lack of LP-E6NH batteries, is a new version coming?
There are limited stocks and noticeable price gouging.

EBH

Nov 26, 2022 at 03:54 PM
fgphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon LP-E6NH

The have been hard to get for a while. I have had pretty good luck with the Wasabi and Neewer ones on Amazon. I have been using them along with the real Canon ones for more than a year and I have not seen a noticeable difference in performance. The one big difference is price. Even if they only last ½ as long as a real Canon one, I could afford to buy 4 of them for what one Canon one will cost right now.

I have not had them swell or cause any problems at all. R5's think they are real Canon batteries and work great.

Nov 26, 2022 at 04:33 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon LP-E6NH

I bought a two-pack of the Neewer with USB charger since I figured that would be a handy thing to have in the field at times. Prior to this I've resorted to bringing a Paul C Buff Vagabond Mini lithium battery powered inverter to power the Canon charger in the field... Kind of a bulky solution, but one I had on hand. I've only used the Neewer batteries a couple charge cycles, so too early to determine how reliable they are. The immediate tradeoff appears to be that the camera drops out of the green higher speed continuous advance modes at around the 75% charge level compared to just below 50% with the actual Canon battery. Of course only relevant if you need the max fps rates in either of the two mechanical shutter modes. This was confirmed to happen with all third party LP-E6NH batteries in the review by Camnostics.

Something I discovered recently, and also just read in the Camnostics review: if you use the BG-R10 grip, you can mix one Canon original battery with one of the off-brand and the camera will sustain the green continuous advance rates until the Canon battery reaches its normal threshold. Since the camera uses the batteries in the grip equally, this gets you more useful high fps life out of the off-brand battery than if used on its own.

Doesn't answer your question though.

Last year when my sole LP-E19 battery for my 1DXII suddenly died, it took a couple months for Canon themselves to replace it via CPS repair...

Nov 26, 2022 at 05:02 PM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon LP-E6NH

I used 3rd party LP-E6 batteries with my DSLRs. They started out fine but as they aged, they'd become unable to handle video or live view, shutting off at 30% or higher charge level. Since mirrorless cameras are 100% live view, I bit the bullet and bought Canon LP-E6NH batteries. I also got a charger that can run from USB power. I can power it from my Anker 20,000 mAh power bank while not in the camera, letting me use less batteries.

Nov 26, 2022 at 05:10 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon LP-E6NH

@Mike_5D which USB charger did you buy?

Just to expand on what I posted, once I get my R6II (supposed to be shipped next week), I'll get a couple of the Canon batteries, but will supplement them with some off-brand like the Neewer to fill in any gaps during longer events.

Nov 26, 2022 at 05:40 PM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon LP-E6NH

rscheffler wrote:
@Mike_5D@ which USB charger did you buy?

Just to expand on what I posted, once I get my R6II (supposed to be shipped next week), I'll get a couple of the Canon batteries, but will supplement them with some off-brand like the Neewer to fill in any gaps during longer events.

I have this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0811GSSQT/

Nov 26, 2022 at 05:43 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon LP-E6NH

OK thanks. That looks exactly like the Neewer charger I got with the batteries, but with a different graphic design in the display area. The Neewer also has a USB-C input port in addition to the USB-A built-in cable.

Nov 26, 2022 at 06:00 PM
fgphoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon LP-E6NH

I should add that I also have a couple of the Wasabi LP-E19 batteries, also, because the Canon ones were impossible to find when I got my R3’s last year. The Wasabi ones don’t last quite as long as the Canon ones (I’d estimate a 5 to 10% difference) but work reliably and fit perfectly in the cameras. At 1/5 the price I can live with the minor difference in performance. Additionally, at the time I bought them, the only other option was to go without and a year later they are still performing fine. In the last year I’ve managed to track down a few real Canon ones but still use the Wasabi batteries alongside the Canon ones.

Nov 27, 2022 at 08:26 AM
CharleyL
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon LP-E6NH

The camera batteries from BM Electronics bought through Amazon have been decoded to appear to the Canon cameras as Canon batteries. They don't pop up the question about non-original batteries when you turn the camera on after installing them. They show the battery usage on the display, and I have been using them for over 3 years in my 4 Canon Cameras without problems. All are still just as good, or nearly so, as when I bought them.

I'm just a fully satisfied user of BM Batteries in my Canon cameras. I have no connection to them otherwise. Much cheaper than Canon Brand too.

Charley

Nov 27, 2022 at 01:21 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon LP-E6NH

While I haven't used these, I've used a lot of 3rd party batteries. Some are good seemingly indistinguishable vs OEM, some are not. It doesn't seem like putting 2 or 3 li ion cells in a case is a big deal and looking at the specs that is probably what's in there imo. Taking months to repair a battery or charging $165 seems ridiculous.

Can they not get a part or a certain cell? I could get good 18650's <$5 last I ordered. So you'd think that inexpensive good quality 3rd party are possible

I avoid 3rd party chargers though more than the batteries. Could probably test using a multimeter though to check if the amps and volts are correct

Nov 27, 2022 at 01:35 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon LP-E6NH

CharleyL wrote:
The camera batteries from BM Electronics bought through Amazon have been decoded to appear to the Canon cameras as Canon batteries. They don't pop up the question about non-original batteries when you turn the camera on after installing them. They show the battery usage on the display, and I have been using them for over 3 years in my 4 Canon Cameras without problems. All are still just as good, or nearly so, as when I bought them.

I'm just a fully satisfied user of BM Batteries in my Canon cameras. I have no connection to them otherwise. Much cheaper
...Show more

Thanks for the tip. Just bought a 2-pack with a dual charger. According to reviews, they apparently can be charged in the Canon OEM charger, unlike some Neewer batteries I've had in the past. Cross fingers they're a good choice.

Nov 27, 2022 at 02:06 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon LP-E6NH

EB-1 wrote:
What is the situation with the lack of LP-E6NH batteries, is a new version coming?

EBH

If you can plan ahead, it's relatively easy to get a stock notification alert at a reputable dealer such as B&H and then get a couple. They had them in stock just last week (I know because a friend was looking). If you need them all at a sudden you're in a world of hurt, for sure, but unless a trip to the arctic comes up overnight, that shouldn't be an issue.

Nov 27, 2022 at 02:15 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon LP-E6NH

It is OK for now, but some of the OEM Nikon batteries are already at one black square although usage is quite limited.

EBH

Nov 27, 2022 at 02:21 PM
Lotus7

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon LP-E6NH

I may be tempting fate or risking tarnishing my karma, but so far I've been quite satisfied with the half dozen 1 to 2 year-old Wasabi and Neewer LP-E6NH batteries used in my R5/BG-R10 combo and my EOS-R, and the couple of 4 to 5 year old Wasabi LP-E6n's my wife uses in her 80D.

However, although I've received a dual Wasabi charger with a battery purchase, I NEVER use it. Instead I always use the Canon OEM chargers (we now have three). The life expectancy of any Lithium Ion battery pack is highly dependent on charging it correctly. Proper charging can extend the life of a Li I camera battery, while incorrect charging can dramatically shorten it. Functional life is also seriously dependent on the way the battery is used.

Factors that can have a significant effect on the useful lifetime of a LP-E6N or NH include:

1. Discharge limit: Allowing a Li I cell to discharge to less then 20% capacity will shorten its life, and allowing a Li I battery to remain in a fully discharged condition for days can severely shorten its lifetime.
This is a common cause of failure of camera batteries. Never let a discharged LP-E6NH sit around.
I always pull my batteries when they get down to 20%. Squeezing out those few last shots is not good for your battery's health.

2. Improper charging profile: Li I batteries are correctly charged by using a regulated time/current/voltage profile. Initially, a constant current is passed through the battery. At a pre-determined point either sensed by the first-derivative of the battery voltage fluctuation, or the cell temperature rise, the charger should switch to a constant voltage mode. Once in the constant voltage mode, the charge current is monitored and when it finally drops to a predetermined level, the charger may or may not then switch to a lower, "hold" voltage.

Canon OEM chargers seem to use an excellent charge "profile". The profile used by an inexpensive, almost-free charger supplied with a battery purchase is unknown and may be far from optimum. I've checked one such charger and found it used a fixed constant-voltage regulator and had no temperature limit capability. Using such a simple, basic charger, or even one with a sub-optimum charge profile can certainly shorten battery lifetime.

3. Attempted charging at freezing temps.: This is a less common occurrence, but can seriously damage a Li I battery. Starting charging with a Li I battery at a temp less than 0 deg C. (32 deg. F.) will cause Lithium plating which will dramatically shorten lifetime, increase internal resistance (which limits performance in high load conditions like fast shutter bursts) and can even cause dangerous internal shorts.

If a Li I battery has been left out in a freezing car overnight, always allow it to warm up to near room temperature before attempting to charge it.

Remember, Li I batteries have varying rates of self-discharge which tends to increase as they age. A new Li I battery may loose only 2 or 3% of its stored energy per month, while a well-used one might loose 10% per month. Additionally, Canon cameras that use the LP-E6N/NH all use some current when the "Main Power Switch" is in the OFF position. That switch DOES NOT actually disconnect the battery, but instead it simply powers down most, but not all of the camera's electronics. A battery should be left in the camera to keep the internal clock running and the circuits that respond to a memory card insertion. That means a battery left in a camera will be slowly discharged at a rate much higher than its own "self-discharge" rate if it were not installed in a camera.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Thanks for reading and hope this info is helpful.

Nov 27, 2022 at 03:43 PM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon LP-E6NH

Lotus7 wrote:
3. Attempted charging at freezing temps.: This is a less common occurrence, but can seriously damage a Li I battery. Starting charging with a Li I battery at a temp less than 0 deg C. (32 deg. F.) will cause Lithium plating which will dramatically shorten lifetime, increase internal resistance (which limits performance in high load conditions like fast shutter bursts) and can even cause dangerous internal shorts.

This could be an issue on the high end too. Canon batteries report the current temperature to the charger. The charger will cut off if it exceeds a certain temperature. 3rd party batteries just report a constant temperature, such as 25C, so the cell could literally be on fire and the charger wouldn't know to cut the current.

Nov 27, 2022 at 04:34 PM
armd
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon LP-E6NH

Never had any luck with 3rd party batteries which lasted a couple of charge cycles at most before failing. My experiences were in line with the objective test that our friends at Camnostic ran:

https://camnostic.com/2021/02/powering-the-eos-r5/

Nov 27, 2022 at 10:45 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon LP-E6NH

Lotus7 wrote:
Remember, Li I batteries have varying rates of self-discharge which tends to increase as they age. A new Li I battery may loose only 2 or 3% of its stored energy per month, while a well-used one might loose 10% per month. Additionally, Canon cameras that use the LP-E6N/NH all use some current when the "Main Power Switch" is in the OFF position. That switch DOES NOT actually disconnect the battery, but instead it simply powers down most, but not all of the camera's electronics. A battery should be left in the camera to keep the internal clock running and
...Show more

I agree, but even outside the camera the smart battery packs discharge faster than typical loose Li-ion cells such as 18650. In one month my NH batteries with the plastic covers on are down to around 80-85%. I don't know if it is the smart chip in there or what, but it is annoying.

EBH

Nov 27, 2022 at 11:14 PM
Cnyphotoguy
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon LP-E6NH

I grabbed this Neewer 3 battery pack with triple USB C/A charger, been very happy with them in my R7.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B5TZKYJR

Nov 29, 2022 at 02:34 PM
txtphoto

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon LP-E6NH

Seems like a deal for the Neewer 3 pack batteries and charger.

Dec 12, 2022 at 08:55 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon LP-E6NH

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

My hunch is that it is just another instance of the problems that have plagued the production and shipment of imported products for the past couple of years.

I recently purchased a couple of the LP-E6NH batteries from B&H. They were out of stock when I first tried, but they were soon available — it took something like a week or two. IIRC, the price was $78/each.

My experience with non-OEM batteries has been pretty awful. (I've described it in another recent thread here, so I won't repeat the details.) On the other hand, by Canon OEM batteries have be very reliable and have lasted a lot time.

Dec 13, 2022 at 10:21 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.