New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

South Africa wildlife video frame grabs

action99

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · South Africa wildlife video frame grabs

I have been in multiple safaris and this time I focused only on video.
With 8k RAW is still possible to get some decent pictures as frame grabs.

I used a R5c shooting in 8K RAW 50fps 1/100 and a R5 8k RAW 25fps 1/50. With some 10bit 4k 120fps. Mostly at iso 800 with some up to iso 32000

60% 70-200 2.8 on a Gimbal, the rest RF 100-500 and RF 400 2.8 either on jeep mount+fluid head, beanbag or even handled. A few with a 24-70.

Nov 25, 2022 at 06:43 AM
Alan Kefauver
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · South Africa wildlife video frame grabs

Nice. I've done a few screen grabs in LR with R5 files, and the stills are pretty good. Printable even. If there is motion in the vid it's more hit and miss. Below shot at 4k-D fine at 29.97 All-1 Screen grab in LR as jpeg. I was surprised at the quality. R5 with EF 100-400 no edit or processing.

fritz frame cap-1 by Alan Kefauver, on Flickr

Nov 25, 2022 at 06:54 AM
dj63401
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · South Africa wildlife video frame grabs

These look great!

Nov 25, 2022 at 08:49 AM
tsunathanh
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · South Africa wildlife video frame grabs

These are great. I know folks usually double the fps for shutter speed, as you’ve done here. Can you raise the shutter speed by quite a bit and get better results on moving subjects? What ill effects would that have/would that work?

Nov 25, 2022 at 08:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · South Africa wildlife video frame grabs

That is why I shoot stills. Video at 1/1000 looks jerky, or has that been fixed with the LIMS recently?

EBH

Nov 25, 2022 at 11:02 AM
action99

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · South Africa wildlife video frame grabs

tsunathanh wrote:
These are great. I know folks usually double the fps for shutter speed, as you’ve done here. Can you raise the shutter speed by quite a bit and get better results on moving subjects? What ill effects would that have/would that work?

In this trip my goal was only video and as I was doing a lot of tracking from the vehicle doing 2x shutter speed is important to have a smooth video.
There are other occurrences especially with sports that people are so used now to high shutter speed due to all action cam I do shoot at 1/500 or even higher so I can deliver both video and photo.

For running cheetah I prefer panning at lower speed. This is a photos only taken a few years ago:

Lateral cheetah chase with high shutter speed don't looks good and looks fake imo (not my picture):

https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-d6a0eb567bb41d7dd69ae30208a15f0d-lq

Nov 28, 2022 at 05:07 AM
WarrenL
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · South Africa wildlife video frame grabs

Hi.

Looks like you had a great trip. Where did you go?
Any suggestions on gear to use in Safari vehicle/own vehicle for better video.

I am doing a Zimbabwe and Kruger trip in a few weeks, and am looking for all the advice I can get.

Nov 28, 2022 at 06:15 AM
action99

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · South Africa wildlife video frame grabs

WarrenL wrote:
Hi.

Looks like you had a great trip. Where did you go?
Any suggestions on gear to use in Safari vehicle/own vehicle for better video.

I am doing a Zimbabwe and Kruger trip in a few weeks, and am looking for all the advice I can get.

I went to Phinda.

For filming the new trend is to move the camera so basically using the vehicle as dolly. Best would be a mounted spring arm with a gimbal and fully remote controls but imo is very unpractical and takes a lot of time to setup and fine tune and every time something goes wrong you need to stop the vehicle and get out that is quite dangerous and not allowed without a special permit.

The most semi practical way is gimbal handled from the vehicle. My setup was R5c + 70-200 2.8 on a RS3 Pro handhold out of the jeep, you need a very good driver that can keep the speed constant and be able to do orbits too not so easy offroad and continuous communication. It is also quite tiring to handheld the gimbal outside the vehicle...

Unfortunately, I 'm far from finishing editing but to give you an idea this is the longest tracking sequence that we got (uncut, very simple grade):

This is an orbit example in 2x slow-motion (again uncut and super basic grade)

I have also orbits and quite long cheetah tracking shoots but nothing online.

Nov 28, 2022 at 06:40 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password