Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Others using multiple camera brands?

mannyfresh79
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Others using multiple camera brands?

I started with video on Panasonic before getting into photography. Now I own an R5, EM1 Mark II, GH5, and GX85. I find it rare for photographers to run multiple brands simultaneously. Curious if any others are doing this and how do you determine what to use?

Nov 25, 2022 at 05:47 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Others using multiple camera brands?

what's you're reasoning for using multiple brands? body styles, varied optics?

i have 2 different brands of point and shoot cameras but one brand of work Camera Kit

Edited on Nov 25, 2022 at 08:41 AM · View previous versions

Nov 25, 2022 at 08:20 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Others using multiple camera brands?

I have cameras from many brands, but they tend to collect in different 'categories'; Canon for DSLR, Fujifilm for compact mirrorless, Sony and Panasonic for smaller formats (X100, LX100). Over the last two~three years, my Fujifilm compacts have migrated away (except a single X100S), as the Canon M-series mirrorless cameras started to migrate in. Not sure where I'm going next. Using my existing lenses will be no problem on just about any camera (except for orphaned AF lenses, like EF-M). For me, having batteries that are compatible with my existing cameras is becoming an important consideration.

Nov 25, 2022 at 08:40 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Others using multiple camera brands?

mannyfresh79 wrote:
I started with video on Panasonic before getting into photography. Now I own an R5, EM1 Mark II, GH5, and GX85. I find it rare for photographers to run multiple brands simultaneously. Curious if any others are doing this and how do you determine what to use?

I've had multiple brands for decades, such as Nikon and Canon 35mm, Fuji 6x9, Mamiya 6x7, and more recently Sony alpha. However, it is best to use a single system in some countries due to the weight and hassle factor (small planes and not having enough backups for example). Definitely for many of us there is no single system that has the bodies and lenses for every project. I'm more likley rent spare gear lately. I don't need any more episodes of owning three copies of a camera or lens.

EBH

Nov 25, 2022 at 12:10 PM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Others using multiple camera brands?

I've used almost every camera system at one time or another: P&S, rangefinders, SLR, mirrorless, medium and large format film. I use whatever works best for me at any given time. Sometimes I try a system purely out of curiosity. I might get a body specifically so I can use a particular lens. There have been times where I had multiple systems actively in use. Recently that was m4/3, Canon EF and Fuji X.

Technology ebbs and flows as do our individual needs and interests. Right now I can do everything I need to solely with Sony E-mount. There are certainly advantages to using a single system. Being able to share lenses, batteries and flashes across cameras makes planning and packing a whole lot easier.

The technical gaps between different platforms and formats continues to diminish. The difference between 6x7 and 35mm film images was very noticeable. There are still differences between smaller and larger digital formats. But the difference in results isn't so obvious anymore. Today it seems like you need to step up by a couple of degrees to really see significant output differences. APS-C and 24x36 "full frame" are sometimes indistinguishable. But m4/3 and medium format digital yield obviously different results.

Nov 25, 2022 at 02:48 PM
snegron7
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Others using multiple camera brands?

Currently using:

- Sony A7c with Tamron 20-40mm f2.8 for travel.

- Canon R6 with a bunch of EF lenses for "serious work".

- Panasonic GX85 for slide copy work.

Nov 25, 2022 at 03:08 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Others using multiple camera brands?

- Olympus for hiking, wet trips and needing to go light (travel, backpacking)
- Canon for almost everything
- Leica for b&w (q2m) and m240 for slowdown/thinkbeforeshooting style

Nov 25, 2022 at 06:37 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Others using multiple camera brands?

Bacalhau wrote:
- Olympus for hiking, wet trips and needing to go light (travel, backpacking)
- Canon for almost everything
- Leica for b&w (q2m) and m240 for slowdown/thinkbeforeshooting style

So are you saying you don’t think before shooting when using your other cameras?

Nov 25, 2022 at 08:19 PM
mannyfresh79
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Others using multiple camera brands?

Hey yall I didn't realize I got so many great replies! Good to know others use multiple systems. With the photo club where I live, only a few ppl use multiple systems... maybe like 3/60 so it's rare around here.

One of the reasons behind this is how I use each camera and for what purpose. One reason is that camera gear while traveling looks different than camera gear while home. Especially when you consider bird photography for telephoto lenses weight and portability factor.

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:45 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Others using multiple camera brands?

chez wrote:
So are you saying you don’t think before shooting when using your other cameras?

pray&spray only 😂
ps: slooooow thinking

Nov 26, 2022 at 05:42 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Others using multiple camera brands?

mannyfresh79 wrote:
Hey yall I didn't realize I got so many great replies! Good to know others use multiple systems. With the photo club where I live, only a few ppl use multiple systems... maybe like 3/60 so it's rare around here...

According to the FM 'About' section, we have almost 300k registered members (8M viewers). At the same 3/60 proportion, that's almost 15,000 members. Now, I'm not saying that there are 15k multi-branders here. I think there are more.

Nov 26, 2022 at 07:33 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Others using multiple camera brands?

I almost always had multiple brands, even in the film days. I actually strive to only have one, but since my photographic interests are pretty wide and varied over time, nothing really fits what I want to do. I will never be a one camera, one lens type of guy.

My main problem is that I tend to build complete kits of the brands I have, which actually makes less and less sense, since I've learned that some kinds of shooting I generally will not do with some cameras/lenses.

And now that digital has reached a plateau and I expect to upgrade less, I'm looking to narrow down my stuff to what I actually expect to use, without the redundancy across brands.

Only glitch is that we're probably moving abroad next year and travel more, so I can't exactly predict what I will appreciate most.

Nov 26, 2022 at 02:35 PM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Others using multiple camera brands?

There have always been folks who are fiercely loyal to a particular brand. It's like loyalty to a car brand. Some people are a "Ford family" or "Chevy family". The brand itself has an emotional connection for them. Suggesting another brand is taken as an insult.

There are people who have a Ford and a Chevy sitting side by side in their driveway. They buy whatever makes the most sense for them at the time.

Nov 26, 2022 at 06:34 PM
jwpstl
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Others using multiple camera brands?

I use 2 systems now. I still have and use my older Samsung NX1 collection because it's the first good mirrorless camera system I ever bought and it's still great. I used it alongside my Nikon DSLRs for awhile until I eventually felt the need for a larger sensor and, since Samsung quit the market before going into that line, and Nikon didn't have an FX mirrorless, I went with Sony. So I now have an APS-C system in the NX1 and a full frame system with the Sony R series. I use my Samsung for casual walks and events and the Sony system when I might need the extra resolution and/or the low light capability. I considered selling the NX1 system and getting a Sony APS-C for my second system but I hate the viewfinder position of the A6 series. I use my left eye and the left placement of the viewfinder kind of sucks for me. Besides, I truly love the NX1. My favorite camera of all time.

Forgot to add. I have an old Nikon D3200 converted to IR I still use on occasion so I guess I have at least 3 brands.

Nov 26, 2022 at 07:36 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Others using multiple camera brands?

lets say there is a very wide swath of reasonings and rationales in what we humans have in doing our endeavors.

here is an example of your car analog:

NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 24-120mm f/4 S lens    54mm    1/100s    180 ISO  

Nov 26, 2022 at 07:57 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.