New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

A7r IV to Z7 II?

jscott40

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A7r IV to Z7 II?

Has anyone here made the move from the A7r IV to the Z7/Z7 II, particularly for landscape and cityscape work? Iím not particularly concerned about AF/tracking, but strictly interested in low ISO image quality compares. I currently have the A7r IV for this type of work, but find the files frustrating to work with at times(especially colors) and nosier than I assume the base ISO 64 would be on Nikon. Iíd also be interested in feedback on how large prints (40Ē+) from the Z7 compare to that of the A7r IV if anyone has experience. Thanks so much, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Nov 24, 2022 at 03:13 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A7r IV to Z7 II?

Did a deep dive on this last year myself. To answer your specific questions, I much prefer the Nikon files for their color and ease of editing in LR compared to Sony. ISO 64 is very nice. Large prints have been comparable, and the Z doesn't leave me wanting.

I did, however, upgrade to the Z9 because the Z7ii AF is not good for many things. Landscapes and cityscapes, it's more than up to the task.

The only Sony camera that has me remotely interested in returning would be an A1ii with the new AI chip and LCD screen found in the A7Rv.

I have also found that Z lenses far exceed many of the Sony lenses in IQ. That said, most of the Sony mark II lenses seem to be catching up (though still not quite there IMO). Lenses like the Sony 24-105 for example would be very hard to return to after using the Z counterpart.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1732388/0

Nov 24, 2022 at 03:26 PM
cope07
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A7r IV to Z7 II?

Image quality alone, the z7ii and d850 are the best landscape cameras in FX. Bar none. I have gobs of travel and landscape photos that I can show you from the d850 and Iíve found no mirrorless whose image I like better. (Z7ii is essentially identical. Iíve used both). ISO 64 is a very dynamic file that looks good OOF with LR. The a7rIV Sensor I always found grainy at iso 100 and that Ďgreyedí the colors a bit-especially in the shadows. V5 Iím sure has better color than V4 but if V5 is A1 color, Iím still not wowed. The Canon R5 shadows are almost colorless compared to a z7ii (when pulled up). I prefer z7/d8550 color to other companies. The canon is magenta heavy but even knowing that I still canít get it to how I like. Sony a1 got better but itís still not as good (stacked sensor doesnít help) and it really over saturated blue with a CPL (which I use a lot).
Z7ii AF is 💯 for architecture and landscape. I read at one of the lens testing sites that only Nikon Z AF-S was so reliable that they didnít have to manually focus for lens testing.
I see no practical/meaningful difference in resolution between a7rIV and Z7ii

Nov 24, 2022 at 04:26 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A7r IV to Z7 II?

Agree with all this.

cope07 wrote:
Image quality alone, the z7ii and d850 are the best landscape cameras in FX. Bar none. I have gobs of travel and landscape photos that I can show you from the d850 and Iíve found no mirrorless whose image I like better. (Z7ii is essentially identical. Iíve used both). ISO 64 is a very dynamic file that looks good OOF with LR. The a7rIV Sensor I always found grainy at iso 100 and that Ďgreyedí the colors a bit-especially in the shadows. V5 Iím sure has better color than V4 but if V5 is A1 color, Iím still not wowed.
...Show more

Nov 24, 2022 at 04:46 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A7r IV to Z7 II?

I was using A7r series since A7r I all the way to A7r IV along side Nikon DSLR and they complement each other quite well. I have to say that since Nikon releazsed Z7, I hardly touch A7r IV at all.
Really wished I did not sell A7r iii to get A7r IV. I also much prefer Z7/Z7 ii file over A7r IV but I have to admit that AF-C implementation on A7r IV is better than Z7/Z7 ii and that pretty much is the only real advantage over Z7/Z7 ii, I feel.

Nov 24, 2022 at 06:48 PM
bernardl
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A7r IV to Z7 II?

I gladly replaced my Sony a7rIV by a Z7II last year. I must say that I am coming from a strong Nikon background.

The Sony never impressed me in terms of AF compared to the a9II I also owned or D850. It is a bit better than the Z7II for tracking, but IMHO overall not as good for eye AF.

And yes, I do clearly prefer the Nikon files also.

Nov 24, 2022 at 09:12 PM
BPsmith511
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A7r IV to Z7 II?

I will add to the pool of Nikon file "colors" being the most pleasing to me. I noticed it on the Z6, now loving it even more on the Z7 at ISO 64. I never really bought into the "different cameras have different color rendition" until I used the Z system. It was enough looking back over old files that I switched back.

Nov 24, 2022 at 11:08 PM
NissanPatrol
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A7r IV to Z7 II?

Interesting opinions specially from some members that I trust

Nov 25, 2022 at 02:13 AM
thedruid
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A7r IV to Z7 II?

Nikon self timer reverting to Single shot drove me nuts, I had the Z7 and A7riii and I did not see much of a difference but I'm open to be shown it.

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

cvrle59
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A7r IV to Z7 II?

thedruid wrote:
Nikon self timer reverting to Single shot drove me nuts, I had the Z7 and A7riii and I did not see much of a difference but I'm open to be shown it.

I actually like it that way, I hate to loose a bird shot that happens a week after me taking slow landscape shot, and I forgot to turn timer off.
Nikon should make it settable, like Fuji does, to satisfy both sides.

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:31 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A7r IV to Z7 II?

Curious to know more about this behavior. I donít remember the behavior on the Z7ii but my Z9 doesnít do this.

Are you saying you have to set the timer for every shot?

thedruid wrote:

Nov 25, 2022 at 11:00 AM
cvrle59
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A7r IV to Z7 II?

RoamingScott wrote:
Curious to know more about this behavior. I donít remember the behavior on the Z7ii but my Z9 doesnít do this.

Are you saying you have to set the timer for every shot?

If you set timer on, then you power off camera, once you power on again, timer is gone, camera reverts back to single shot with no timer activated.

Fuji has setup in menu, you can chose either to revert back after power back to single shot, or not to having timer activated.

Nov 25, 2022 at 11:05 AM
thedruid
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A7r IV to Z7 II?

As explained by @cvrie59, and it does it on Z6, Z6ii and Z7 the others I've not owned. I use the self timer a lot so it bothered me.

Nov 25, 2022 at 11:25 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A7r IV to Z7 II?

Got it. Z9 maintains the timer setting through power states, perhaps that will be the new default behavior moving forward for Nikon. I canít find a setting to edit the behavior.

Nov 25, 2022 at 11:28 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A7r IV to Z7 II?

cvrle59 wrote:
If you set timer on, then you power off camera, once you power on again, timer is gone, camera reverts back to single shot with no timer activated.

Fuji has setup in menu, you can chose either to revert back after power back to single shot, or not to having timer activated.

I never noticed that before that this is good to know For timer quirk, my GFX100 takes the trophy though. What annoys me about the timer is that when I select timer, if I take one picture and wait a few minutes for the next shot, power was on, I did not touch the camera in between, at the next shot, timer is gone so I have go into Q menu to select timer again for almost every shot I did. Timer remains only if I shoot
every few seconds. I have not bother to figure out yet how long timer will remains before reverting back to single shot.
If there is an option in the menu to keep timer permanent on until manually deselect, I have not found it yet. Menu on GFX is also a mess and much less intuitive than Nikon in my opinion.

Nov 25, 2022 at 06:49 PM
cvrle59
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A7r IV to Z7 II?

suteetat wrote:
I never noticed that before that this is good to know For timer quirk, my GFX100 takes the trophy though. What annoys me about the timer is that when I select timer, if I take one picture and wait a few minutes for the next shot, power was on, I did not touch the camera in between, at the next shot, timer is gone so I have go into Q menu to select timer again for almost every shot I did. Timer remains only if I shoot
every few seconds. I have not bother to figure out yet how long timer
...Show more

I was particularly about X-T4, I have no experience with GFX, sorry.
Fuji used to operate same as z6/7II, but they made change on X-T4, Nikon should copy that, it's not that hard.
There is one section on this page explaining it.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4479057#forum-post-63807192

Nov 25, 2022 at 07:45 PM
1bwana1
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A7r IV to Z7 II?

My Leica M also reverts back from Timer to Single Shot when power is cycled. PIA.

My A1 maintains the Timer setting through power cycles. Of course this is set on a dial on the A1 so it would be hard to do otherwise. I prefer this behavior.

Nov 25, 2022 at 08:14 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password