Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

State of the art manual portrait lens for Sony – Loxia 85 2.4? Voigtländ...

zeitlos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · State of the art manual portrait lens for Sony – Loxia 85 2.4? Voigtländer 65 2.0?

On more question, just to be sure, about the Voigtländer 75mm 1.2…

So there‘s a 6bit adapter I can buy. Data will be saved in the EXIFs then. What about manual focusing aids, like automatically zooming in or focus peaking? Will they also work then (A7III + 75mm Voigtländer)?

Nov 26, 2022 at 04:41 AM
QuietOC
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · State of the art manual portrait lens for Sony – Loxia 85 2.4? Voigtländer 65 2.0?

zeitlos wrote:
On more question, just to be sure, about the Voigtländer 75mm 1.2…

So there‘s a 6bit adapter I can buy. Data will be saved in the EXIFs then. What about manual focusing aids, like automatically zooming in or focus peaking? Will they also work then (A7III + 75mm Voigtländer)?

No, that requires specific electronics--an encoded focus control. Theoretically something that read the position of the M-mount lens cam could do this.

Sony's own LA-EA adapters don't even support MF Assist for their own A-mount lenses. None of the supported A-mount lenses have electronic focus controls. This limitation also effects most AF adapters for other mounts since most just emulate a Sony LA-EA adapter.

I normally have MF Assist disabled even for native lenses and manually engage the Focus Magnifier for all lenses via a custom key.

Edited on Nov 26, 2022 at 05:55 AM · View previous versions

Nov 26, 2022 at 05:30 AM
zeitlos
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · State of the art manual portrait lens for Sony – Loxia 85 2.4? Voigtländer 65 2.0?

This just killed my 75mm plans. At least for Sony. Don’t know how it would be when using a Leica SL 1 or 2.

Thanks for letting me know!

Nov 26, 2022 at 05:39 AM
Erichimedes
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · State of the art manual portrait lens for Sony – Loxia 85 2.4? Voigtländer 65 2.0?

zeitlos wrote:
This just killed my 75mm plans. At least for Sony. Don’t know how it would be when using a Leica SL 1 or 2.

Thanks for letting me know!

I'm guessing you mean the CV 75/1.5? They dont have a 75/1.2.

On a standard dumb adapter, that lens will still work with focus peaking. You can also zoom in to focus, but you'll need to have it set to a custom button. Mine is set to C2 on my A7riii.

If you want it to automatically zoom in when you turn the focus ring, then you'll need one with native e mount.

Edited on Nov 26, 2022 at 08:04 AM · View previous versions

Nov 26, 2022 at 07:43 AM
tsdevine
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · State of the art manual portrait lens for Sony – Loxia 85 2.4? Voigtländer 65 2.0?

I agree. The Monster adapter is a little slow, but accurate. The MF experience with the 77mm Ltd isn't the greatest from a feel perspective, but doable.

freaklikeme wrote:
Why not just adapt the 77 limited? It's got an aperture ring and geared manual focus, so you only need a dumb adapter for it. Or you can buy Monster's bulky smart adapter and get EXIF and auto aperture (and AF if you decide you need it). No need to miss it when you can still use it. And it's on sale at B&H right now for $626.95.

Nov 26, 2022 at 07:56 AM
zeitlos
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · State of the art manual portrait lens for Sony – Loxia 85 2.4? Voigtländer 65 2.0?

Erichimedes wrote:
I'm guessing you mean the CV 75/1.5? They dont have a 75/1.2.

On a standard dumb adapter, that lens will still work with focus peaking. You can also zoom in to focus, but you'll need to have it set to a custom button. Mine is set to C2 on my A7riii.

If you want it to automatically zoom in when you turn the focus ring, then you'll need one with native e mount.

Yes, sorry, my fault. I meant the 75 1.5.

So there is a way to use focus peaking then? And even zooming in is possible by setting it to a custom button? I think that changes the equation again. Thanks for clarifying!

I was wondering how to focus properly without any technical aids.

Nov 26, 2022 at 08:11 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · State of the art manual portrait lens for Sony – Loxia 85 2.4? Voigtländer 65 2.0?

Yes on most if not all Sony bodies you can use focus magnifier , focus and jump back out. Almost don't need focus peaking as it will cut out some on the magnification. If your subject is not moving than its quite easy to shoot with manual focus

Nov 26, 2022 at 08:22 AM
Grenache
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · State of the art manual portrait lens for Sony – Loxia 85 2.4? Voigtländer 65 2.0?

For light to medium weight portrait lenses, all of the ones below can easily be used on Sony via an adapter. My favorite is the Contax 100/2…loads of character. Nice 3D with a little side lighting.

Style Points by Jim, on Flickr

The Minolta Rokkor 85/1.7 is an under appreciated gem. Incredibly saturated colors.

"Unavailable for Comment" by Jim, on Flickr

As Jim Gunzorro mentioned, the Canon 85/1.2L II on an MC-11 or newer Metabones adapter gives you the Canon creaminess and fast AF. Mine is available in the B&S here.

iPOD by Jim, on Flickr

A little shorter on focal length, but there are a couple of great 58mm lenses. The Meyer Primoplan 58/1.9 is a touch soft WO and quite a bit of curvature, but it’s dreamy backgrounds are unique.

Golden by Jim, on Flickr

A less extreme and better corrected option is the Minolta 58/1.2 Rokkor.

Nikonians Anonymous by Jim, on Flickr

Nov 26, 2022 at 11:59 AM
zeitlos
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · State of the art manual portrait lens for Sony – Loxia 85 2.4? Voigtländer 65 2.0?

Wow! Thank you.

The portrait shot with the Meyer Optik Görlitz lens is fabulous. And how ironic, some people try for a lifetime to achieve a picture like this one. You did it once and nailed it. Stunning composition.

Now you introduced a new contender! Didn‘t pay much attention to the Meyer Optik Görlitz lenses. As I understand, they are specialized in very unique lenses in terms of bokeh. Am I right?

I mean, I‘m looking for something with character. Have to see what they offer now.

Are they in general well respected for what they offer (quality, build etc.)? Never paid any attention to them… Maybe a mistake?

Edit. I see there‘s also a Biotar-line which is more expensive. Have to find out what‘s the difference.

Nov 26, 2022 at 12:34 PM
Grenache
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · State of the art manual portrait lens for Sony – Loxia 85 2.4? Voigtländer 65 2.0?

Biotars are good. Those come in 58/2 and 50/1.4 versions. The f/2 is a lovely lens, with the 10- and 12-bleed versions from the 1940s-50s being the most interesting, IMHO. On average, they are sharper and have less distortion than the Meyer 58/1.9 but a little less character. These are the inspiration for the ubiquitous but mostly lousy Helios 44-2… series. The Biotar f/1.4 is even more swirly than the Meyer but also has much more curvature, so the center is really the sweet spot.

Meyer has several great lenses. The 29/2.8 is tiny, has phenomenal colors, and is plenty sharp center and mid. The 50/1.8 is less swirly than the 58 but is a good character lens as well. The 29 and 50 run between $50-150. The 58 is usually around $350, and the Biotars vary widely, with the 58/2 usually around $500 and the f/1.4 generally around $1000.

Jim

Nov 26, 2022 at 01:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

zeitlos
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · State of the art manual portrait lens for Sony – Loxia 85 2.4? Voigtländer 65 2.0?

Currently, I am drawn to this one:

Nov 26, 2022 at 01:10 PM
Grenache
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · State of the art manual portrait lens for Sony – Loxia 85 2.4? Voigtländer 65 2.0?

zeitlos wrote:
Wow! Thank you.

The portrait shot with the Meyer Optik Görlitz lens is fabulous. And how ironic, some people try for a lifetime to achieve a picture like this one. You did it once and nailed it. Stunning composition.

Now you introduced a new contender! Didn‘t pay much attention to the Meyer Optik Görlitz lenses. As I understand, they are specialized in very unique lenses in terms of bokeh. Am I right?

I mean, I‘m looking for something with character. Have to see what they offer now.

Are they in general well respected for what they offer (quality, build etc.)? Never paid any
...Show more

Also worth noting that the new “Meyer” lenses bought the name and then got mired in controversy over taking cheap lenses and re-housing then in Meyer branded barrels. The ones you want are not the new fancy ones.

Speaking of Meyer, though they typically are quite soft wide open, their 100/2.8 Trioplan is quite swirly.

Nov 26, 2022 at 01:25 PM
zeitlos
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · State of the art manual portrait lens for Sony – Loxia 85 2.4? Voigtländer 65 2.0?

Grenache wrote:
The ones you want are not the new fancy ones.

What exactly do you mean? Probably I didn’t fully get it.

Nov 26, 2022 at 01:27 PM
Grenache
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · State of the art manual portrait lens for Sony – Loxia 85 2.4? Voigtländer 65 2.0?

zeitlos wrote:
What exactly do you mean? Probably I didn’t fully get it.

These are the new versions. These should be AVOIDED, as they only have the name and nothing else:

https://www.meyer-optik-goerlitz.com/en/

Lenses like these (no affiliation with seller) are the “real” ones:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125609227354?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=srND2z3NRyG&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Nov 26, 2022 at 01:35 PM
Grenache
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · State of the art manual portrait lens for Sony – Loxia 85 2.4? Voigtländer 65 2.0?

To be fair, you can and should buy any lens whose rendering appeals to you. If you like the new 75/1.9, then go for it. What I was pointing out is that the new version of the Meyer company is not the same as the original one. The new one was caught a couple of years ago taking ~$200 lenses from another company, replacing the external barrel, and them selling them as $1000 lenses that used “the original designs.” It was fraud.

The new company also has lenses perhaps of their own design.

Any company - new or old - can make interesting lenses and sell them for any price that they like. Lying about what the lens is…that was the problem.

Nov 26, 2022 at 01:42 PM
zeitlos
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · State of the art manual portrait lens for Sony – Loxia 85 2.4? Voigtländer 65 2.0?

Thank you. I will try to learn more about the new ones. Here’s a sample Thread I found in a German Forum:

https://www.pentaxians.de/40456504nx51499/lens-clubs-f46/meyer-optik-goerlitz-primoplan-75mm-f19-lens-club-t36753.html

Nov 26, 2022 at 01:44 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · State of the art manual portrait lens for Sony – Loxia 85 2.4? Voigtländer 65 2.0?

Best character lens I ever owned was a Leica 80mm 1.4 Sumilux in R mount. That’s the best I ever had. I’ve had 100s of lenses over the decades

Nov 26, 2022 at 02:10 PM
letchhausen

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · State of the art manual portrait lens for Sony – Loxia 85 2.4? Voigtländer 65 2.0?

zeitlos wrote:
Thank you. I will try to learn more about the new ones.

Here's an article from PetaPixal about the sale of the company, scandal with those owners, then bankruptcy and sale of the company again in 2018. The current company looks to be legit and trying to regain their rep with the new lineup.

https://petapixel.com/2021/08/05/meyer-optik-gorlitz-says-it-is-a-real-company-again/

And a video where someone visits the current company:

" target="_blank">

I think the 58 and the 75 look like interesting alternatives.

Nov 26, 2022 at 05:07 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · State of the art manual portrait lens for Sony – Loxia 85 2.4? Voigtländer 65 2.0?

As it's mentioned in the title, here are a few portraits for Loxia 85/2.4 inquiries in the future.

f3.5

f2.4

f2.8

f2.4

f3.2

Nov 26, 2022 at 06:37 PM
vdo1
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · State of the art manual portrait lens for Sony – Loxia 85 2.4? Voigtländer 65 2.0?

Leica Thambar has a lot of renders, if that is what one is looking for.

https://www.overgaard.dk/the-story-behind-that-picture-0187_gb.html

Nov 26, 2022 at 08:14 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password