New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

OM-1 firmware v1.3 is available

hoodlum90
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · OM-1 firmware v1.3 is available

Other forum users have confirmed that C-AF issue with 75mm has been fixed and S-AF in low light is now providing accurate focus consistently. There are probably other fixes and improvements as not much detail is provided on what was improved.

https://www.olympus-europa.com/site/en/c/cameras_support/downloads/om_1_downloads.html

Nov 24, 2022 at 06:42 AM
PV Hiker
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · OM-1 firmware v1.3 is available

Thanks for providing a link and letting us know there is a update for the OM-1

Downloads for OM 1
NEW

11/24/2022
Firmware update Version 1.3

Performance of C-AF when shooting still images has been improved.
Enhanced stability of C-AF operation when shooting video.
Other various updates to increase operation stability.

06/30/2022
Firmware update Version 1.2

Please use OM Workspace software on your PC or Mac computer to carry out this firmware change and make sure you are using the cable supplied with your OM-1.
Please ensure the battery in your OM-1 is fully charged.
Important: Your OM Workspace software must be updated to the latest version (Win.: Ver. 2.0.2, Mac : Ver. 2.0.1) before you try to update the OM-1 firmware.
Main aspects of this firmware update:
Enhanced stability of operation when shooting video.
If you have not done this before or would like to refresh your memory, please take a look at our "How to" video.

05/24/2022
Firmware update Version 1.1

Important: Your OM Workspace software must be updated to the latest version (Win.: Ver. 2.0.2, Mac : Ver. 2.0.1) before you try to update the OM-1 firmware.
Main aspects of FW Ver.1.1
Addresses an issue of the OM-1 freezing.
Improvement of stability of connection with "Atomos Ninja V"
(Please note that Atomos will release a firmware update for their product around the same time and your Atomos device will also need updating for full compatibility)

Nov 24, 2022 at 11:12 AM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · OM-1 firmware v1.3 is available

11/24/2022

This is very important to me if indeed it has been resolved. I guess most users might not ever notice this issue.

We had 6 M1X camera bodies and now 6 OM-1 bodies. What I noticed on all 12 camera bodies is when shooting in CAF mode the focus drifts in and out on stationary subjects, like birds on a stick.

Burst shooting the first few shots are sharp and then the next couple the focus is off and then it locks on and sharp again. We have a custom button to quickly go to "C4" that is set up with S-AF that will get the shots sharp.

Using the M1X bodies I contacted Olympus and explained what was happening that CAF was drifting in and out to maintain focus on a stationary object. CAF is designed to adjust for movement so because the subject is not moving it tries to test the boundaries by moving focus in and out to confirm focus.

I sent in one body as they requested and they sent back another replacement body that also preformed the same way. I'm sure they did not understand what was happening or they knew about it and replaced the body hoping I would move on. We did a work around by using "SAF" as much as possible.

We were disappointed when we received the OM-1 bodies that the issue was not fixed. We will see if this firmware has addressed this issue.

Cheers, Patrick

Nov 24, 2022 at 11:33 AM
fadeslayer
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · OM-1 firmware v1.3 is available

PV Hiker wrote:
11/24/2022

This is very important to me if indeed it has been resolved. I guess most users might not ever notice this issue.

We had 6 M1X camera bodies and now 6 OM-1 bodies. What I noticed on all 12 camera bodies is when shooting in CAF mode the focus drifts in and out on stationary subjects, like birds on a stick.

Burst shooting the first few shots are sharp and then the next couple the focus is off and then it locks on and sharp again. We
...Show more

Yes, I confirm that behaviour, VERY ANNOYING, even if OM-1 is less disastrous, it still keeps on doing a couple of things that get me angry

- Bird/animal detect find subject, then AF sticks on grass leaves in front of the subject
- Burst on clean subject (no distractions between me and subject), some pictures in focus, then focus goes a bit back or forth, then focus recovers, and then back/forth again.

I will wait to see if this update fixes at least a good bit this behaviour (I can't update it anyway now).

Nov 24, 2022 at 12:00 PM
Paul_100A
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · OM-1 firmware v1.3 is available

PV Hiker wrote:
11/24/2022

Burst shooting the first few shots are sharp and then the next couple the focus is off and then it locks on and sharp again. We
...Show more

i have to wonder if other (specific?) camera settings are causing issues here.
since the EM1mkII (having the EM5 and EM1 and the E1, E3, E5) I've been using C-AF at all times unless light levels drop right out and I still want to keep shooting, then I use S-AF *which happens rarely enough that I forget to put the camera(s) back in C-AF the next day/outing.
I quickly figure out that I am in S-AF because I can see my "birds on a stick" keeper rate take a huge nose dive in S-AF as the birds are never truly static coupled with a rather limited DoF.
i used my EM1X for nearly 3 years in the same manner and have used the OM-1 in the same manner.
i was satisfied with the "bird on a stick" keeper rate with the EM1mkII and even more so with the EM1X.
unlike upgrading from previous models to the latest and always setting up the new model up as close as possible to the previous...before 'testing'...when I got my OM-1 I used it very much with default settings. I was just curious to see what it could do out of the box. the OM-1 'out of the box settings' for "bird on a stick" keeper rate was absolutely ridiculously high. After a couple of outings I said to myself...Yep, I'm definitely not going to have to capture near as many burst images with this thing. The OM-1's ridiculous high keeper rate was the main reason I was 'finally' comfortable enough to add a 150-400.
I've since customized the OM-1 similarly to the EM1X before it and haven't suffered with any issues regarding perched birds keeper rate.
I'll likely upgrade FW to 1.3 but I have no sense of urgency to do so.

Nov 24, 2022 at 12:10 PM
hoodlum90
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · OM-1 firmware v1.3 is available

Here is a bit more detail on what was improved with C-AF. It looks like this was specifics to when using the single/small AF box

https://youtu.be/b1HjsEPvC2M

Nov 24, 2022 at 12:19 PM
OMDnext

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · OM-1 firmware v1.3 is available

holy cow, doing the firmware update is a stressful experience. Used OI share this time after watching video on steps. When i did it downloading update progress showed then nothing. I waited and waited and after several minutes up popped the screen showing dont touch, then minutes laster ok. Restarted, reconnected and everything fine. Went back into OI share to check and indicated not completed. So told to complete, all seems ok shows v1.3 and my C1-C4 reloaded Yikes, last update i thought i bricked my camera but all was ok. This make me crazy. Time for a bit of scotch.

Nov 24, 2022 at 02:07 PM
Tom Reynolds
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · OM-1 firmware v1.3 is available

Thanks for the heads up, I updated my cameras.

Happy Thanksgiving

Tom

Nov 24, 2022 at 02:15 PM
johnvanr
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · OM-1 firmware v1.3 is available

PV Hiker wrote:
Thanks for providing a link and letting us know there is a update for the OM-1

Downloads for OM 1
NEW

11/24/2022

Enhanced stability of C-AF operation when shooting video.
Other various updates to increase operation stability.

06/30/2022
Firmware update Version 1.2

Please use OM Workspace software on your PC or Mac computer to carry out this firmware change and make sure you are using the cable supplied with your OM-1.
Please ensure the battery in your OM-1 is fully charged.
Important: Your OM Workspace software must be updated to the
...Show more

With so many OM-1s, I wonder if you ran into an issue I have with one of mine: the front dial not turning as smoothly as it should. It seems to stick but it's not consistent. My other OM-1 is fine. Sent it in. They said they replaced the top plate, but the issue is still there. Planning to bring it into Olympus Repair personally.

Does any of your OM-1s have that issue?

Thanks

Nov 24, 2022 at 04:44 PM
hoodlum90
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · OM-1 firmware v1.3 is available

My IO Share firmware update went very smoothly. It took 10 seconds to download the firmware file to my phone, 2.5 min to transfer the file to the OM-1, and then 3 min to update firmware in my camera. Another minute was required as it asked me to reboot camera and reconnect to reload the original settings. Everything worked as expected and the date/time did not need resetting.

Edited on Nov 24, 2022 at 05:04 PM · View previous versions

Nov 24, 2022 at 05:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · OM-1 firmware v1.3 is available

johnvanr wrote:
With so many OM-1s, I wonder if you ran into an issue I have with one of mine: the front dial not turning as smoothly as it should. It seems to stick but it's not consistent. My other OM-1 is fine. Sent it in. They said they replaced the top plate, but the issue is still there. Planning to bring it into Olympus Repair personally.

Thanks

Not as smooth as the M1X and Canon 1DX, they are stiff but easy enough to spin. Heard some are pretty stiff, but mine seem ok.

Nov 24, 2022 at 05:03 PM
kshitijsharma
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · OM-1 firmware v1.3 is available

Thanks

The feel of the dials is different from the EM1 Mk 3 I had. Took some time to get used to. No sticky dials issues with my camera, however.

Nov 24, 2022 at 06:23 PM
Pwdrhound

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · OM-1 firmware v1.3 is available

Is OM Workspace or OI Share the better method for firmware update?

Nov 24, 2022 at 09:32 PM
SpecFoto
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · OM-1 firmware v1.3 is available

Pwdrhound wrote:
Is OM Workspace or OI Share the better method for firmware update?

I tried to use OI Share on my iPhone and installed the latest app. But when I got to the FW downloads page it only showed V1.2 for me, no V1.3 was available.

So I downloaded the OM Workspace direct from OMDS for my iMac and the once installed and all the security questions to allow the software to work was agreed to, the first thing it did was ask to update and download a newer version of the same software I just downloaded 5 minutes before.....WTF?? So once that was all done you actually don't download the FW, the OM Workspace does it once you turn on and go to the Camera tab, then select Update. It took about 8 minutes and the procedure followed the instructions provided. About 3/4 of the way through you need to say the upload is complete by checking a box on the software, then another check another box, the camera restarts and a couple minutes later finally it is done. Total time with all the downloads was about 15 minutes!

Edited on Nov 27, 2022 at 09:56 PM · View previous versions

Nov 25, 2022 at 11:19 AM
Pwdrhound

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · OM-1 firmware v1.3 is available

Yeah, I got my OM1 connected to OI Share after verifying I had the right app (had both the previous Olympus version and OMDS versions on my tablet). But actually didn't show any pending updates, and my OM1 was still at ver 1.0. But connected it up to my laptop this morning and updated using Workspace instead, no issues. This wasn't too bad, and better than Olymps in the past. But I agree, I updated my D500 firmware not too long ago and it was simpler via the SD card.

Nov 25, 2022 at 01:07 PM
Tom Reynolds
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · OM-1 firmware v1.3 is available

OM Workspace needs to be updated to the latest version. Once that is done to upgrade is straightforward. Of course, you need to follow the directions.

Regards,

Tom

Nov 25, 2022 at 01:15 PM
dcisive
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · OM-1 firmware v1.3 is available

OM really needs to get back to the drawing board where Human Face/Eye detection is concerned. It's not even close to what my former R5 performed with locking faces or especially eyes from a distance over 6 feet away. They really need to get their act together and get the Human side equal to their very good performing animal face/eye detection. Otherwise it's fine

Nov 25, 2022 at 05:47 PM
SpecFoto
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · OM-1 firmware v1.3 is available

dcisive wrote:
OM really needs to get back to the drawing board where Human Face/Eye detection is concerned. It's not even close to what my former R5 performed with locking faces or especially eyes from a distance over 6 feet away. They really need to get their act together and get the Human side equal to their very good performing animal face/eye detection. Otherwise it's fine

Is this your opinion after using the new update? The update said it improved the eye detect so I am just curious. I agree that the eye detect needs improvement, I did not really see any eye detect improvements initially with my OM-1 vs. my EM1.3, except for now I can't use spot metering.

Nov 25, 2022 at 07:33 PM
dcisive
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · OM-1 firmware v1.3 is available

I see absolutely NO change in the eye detect behavior. It seriously lacks the sensitivity The R5 I had prior would immediately nail an eye by half pressing the shutter even if the subject was across an entire room. Then it would track it as if it had been glued in place. The OM-1's, even close in will flicker. When on a bird it acts like the Canon did. But NOT on humans yet it seems. I'm waiting for their engineers to get their act together. The processing power is most certainly there. They just need to dial it in. Would also be nice if it would track the head like a Sony does awaiting the turning of the head to nail the eye immediately. Guess we'll just have to hope they get this done in future firmware updates.

Nov 26, 2022 at 09:47 AM
indusphoto
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · OM-1 firmware v1.3 is available

dcisive wrote:

I do not have Canon camera at the moment, and I did not have OM-1 when I had R5. However I feel that OM-1 (using 12-40 f/1.8 II) is actually better at finding the eye then R5 was.

Nov 26, 2022 at 06:47 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password