Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Why there is no a really great 40mm lens?

Choderboy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Why there is no a really great 40mm lens?

Your question is, IMHO, "why doesn't anybody make a lens with the exact characteristics you want".
You own a 40 that many consider to be truly great, the CV 40 1.2 and owned another, the Sigma 45 2.8. (It seems likely yours was not as good as most)

You admire the GM 35.
Before the GM 35 1.4 was released, quite a few people used their GM 24 and cropped.
Cropping a 35 1.4 image to 40mm FOV will be a much smaller crop.
Particularly on a 42 or 61mp sensor, you still get left with plenty of pixels.

So just get a GM 35. Simples.

Nov 27, 2022 at 04:02 AM
sceptic
• •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Why there is no a really great 40mm lens?

Reading this thread, it's clear that what constitutes a "perfect" lens is a highly (if not completely) subjective matter. Almost like debating one's favorite color; consensus will never be reached.

Still, the discussion has its merits as it may highlight an issue/aspect that one may not have thought of.

My personal 40 mm "journey" started with the Samyang 50 1.4 mk1 (light and compact, so-so optical performance) on to the Sigma 50 Art (which I found too bulky, albeit with superb optical qualities), via the Samyang mk2 (even more compact than the mk1, but still some optical issues), ending up with the Sigma 40 1.4. Obviously bulkier than the Sigma 50, but I've realized that I prefer bulk over half decent optics (realizing I'll have to choose one or the other as a compromise)
Optically marvellous (I can't find any issues at all) but large and heavy enough to create a gravitational rift in the time/space continuum...

One of my optical pet peeves is CA, especially purple fringing, and the Sigma 40 handles it like no other lens I've used.
Shooting a cromed motorcycle in direct sun at f/2 without a hint of PF is something most of my other lenses struggle with.

Sigma 40 1.4 does Stockholm by scepticswe, on Flickr

Nov 27, 2022 at 04:33 AM
tsdevine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Why there is no a really great 40mm lens?

Agree....

Wide open, no CA correction

Full Size

sceptic wrote:
Reading this thread, it's clear that what constitutes a "perfect" lens is a highly (if not completely) subjective matter. Almost like debating one's favorite color; consensus will never be reached.

Still, the discussion has its merits as it may highlight an issue/aspect that one may not have thought of.

My personal 40 mm "journey" started with the Samyang 50 1.4 mk1 (light and compact, so-so optical performance) on to the Sigma 50 Art (which I found too bulky, albeit with superb optical qualities), via the Samyang mk2 (even more compact than the mk1, but still some optical issues), ending up with the
...Show more

Nov 27, 2022 at 08:35 AM
lensfan
• •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Why there is no a really great 40mm lens?

tsdevine wrote:
Agree....

Wide open, no CA correction

Conditions are challenging but the background is nervous. Is it something this lens has tendency for? Or is this a result of electronic shutter/curtain at high shutter speed?
I find CV 1.2/40 to produce nervous background rendring under certain conditions as well.

Nov 27, 2022 at 07:51 PM
tsdevine
• • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Why there is no a really great 40mm lens?

Many high resolution lenses can exhibit that at certain distances with certain backgrounds (the CV 35/2 APO is a good example of that.) Now whether it's more or less than the CV 40/1.2 or Batis, I don't know.

lensfan wrote:
Conditions are challenging but the background is nervous. Is it something this lens has tendency for?
I find CV 1.2/40 to produce nervous background rendring under certain conditions as well.

Nov 27, 2022 at 07:55 PM
lensfan
• •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Why there is no a really great 40mm lens?

Choderboy wrote:
Your question is, IMHO, "why doesn't anybody make a lens with the exact characteristics you want".
You own a 40 that many consider to be truly great, the CV 40 1.2 and owned another, the Sigma 45 2.8. (It seems likely yours was not as good as most)

You admire the GM 35.
Before the GM 35 1.4 was released, quite a few people used their GM 24 and cropped.
Cropping a 35 1.4 image to 40mm FOV will be a much smaller crop.
Particularly on a 42 or 61mp sensor, you still get left with plenty of pixels.

So just get a GM 35. Simples.

Cropping 35GM to 40mm sounds like a reasonable approach.
24GM being a great lens is inferior to 35GM optically, fringing wide open bothers me especially.

Nov 27, 2022 at 11:17 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Why there is no a really great 40mm lens?

Already covered well, but my 2 cents:

We already have three amazing 40mm lenses -- Sigma 40/1.4 Art, CV 40/1.2 and Batis 40/2.

I don't see what the argument can be -- if one is looking for 40mm, you are covered from small to large, heavy to light weight.

Nov 28, 2022 at 10:26 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Why there is no a really great 40mm lens?

Gunzorro wrote:
Already covered well, but my 2 cents:

We already have three amazing 40mm lenses -- Sigma 40/1.4 Art, CV 40/1.2 and Batis 40/2.

I don't see what the argument can be -- if one is looking for 40mm, you are covered from small to large, heavy to light weight.

But, but, but…they are not GM’s.

Nov 28, 2022 at 10:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Why there is no a really great 40mm lens?

chez wrote:
But, but, but…they are not GM’s.

Ha-ha! So true!

For diehard GM fans, I don't see why a 35GM couldn't be cropped slightly to provide 40-ish focal length.

Nov 28, 2022 at 11:39 AM
JVan_02
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Why there is no a really great 40mm lens?

Very late to the discussion it seems, but I thought as someone who has had for years two of the lenses in discussion here (I'll have 'He shot 40mm' on my tombstone, no doubt) I thought I'd weigh in.

If the Batis 40 had it's performance at f=2.5 wide open at f=2 (nigh apo-chromatic, enough resolution to see vellus hairs in portraits, excellent color retention and saturation, spherical aberration in great enough amounts to be seen occasionally while never enough to actually obscure resolution) it would be remembered as one of the all-time optical greats, like the CV 35 APO-Lanthar is currently. Perhaps even more fondly due to how well SA renders at f=2.5. If it didn't have AF issues on less recent bodies (α7 III shooter checking in and yes, AF isn't perfect), the 35 GM would have stiff competition even at the same price. There's so much to love about the images from the 40 CF that I'm having a hard time letting it go.

The 40 G on the other hand, is perhaps the most reliable lens I've ever used—full stop. Every facet of the lens, from the IQ wide open, the size, the manual controls, the AF motors and implementation... even things like MFD range from excellent at the lowest (IQ) to simply sublime (AF & form factor). Sometimes I even resent the lens for it, as while the 35 GM would be a notable increase in IQ & light gathering I have a hard time imagining any other aspect of shooting would be improved. If the 40 G was an f2 instead of an f2.5, perhaps the same form factor as the 15 1.4 G, and retained the same wide open performance I'd declare my allegiance unceasingly. As is... even if I got the 35 GM (of dubious likelyhood at this point) I'd be much more likely to sell my 40 CF than my 40 G. Depending on where you stand, that might be a strong recommendation... or a precautionary tale. If you get it, however, expect it to be heavily used.

Nov 30, 2022 at 11:20 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Why there is no a really great 40mm lens?

I just tested the 40G and I really like it. For the money can’t be beat. I unfortunately am going to sell it after a week just because I bought the 20-40 so it’s redundant now and maybe get the Sony 50 g again. I kicked myself after selling that one. But these Tammy’s have gotten seriously good outside no function buttons and the 28-75 version II is worlds better than the original. I don’t see any weak spot in it and very sharp to the extremes. No I’m looking more for a travel kit and not the fast 40 out there but these compacts are worth a look. Times have changed for the better

Nov 30, 2022 at 11:39 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Why there is no a really great 40mm lens?

'Cropping 35GM to 40mm sounds like a reasonable approach' and even more so since for most common compositions no cropping is needed to reach this goal. Sony crops the image for you, right out of the box. Of course, you can never get a genuine 35mm image at near focus distances. That's the inevitable trade-off with using breathing as a design aid for bokeh inducement

On Vimeo, from cameralabs:

'Sony FE 35mm f1.4 GM focus breathing'

Dec 01, 2022 at 02:22 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Why there is no a really great 40mm lens?

JVan_02 wrote:
Very late to the discussion it seems, but I thought as someone who has had for years two of the lenses in discussion here (I'll have 'He shot 40mm' on my tombstone, no doubt) I thought I'd weigh in.

If the Batis 40 had it's performance at f=2.5 wide open at f=2 (nigh apo-chromatic, enough resolution to see vellus hairs in portraits, excellent color retention and saturation, spherical aberration in great enough amounts to be seen occasionally while never enough to actually obscure resolution) it would be remembered as one of the all-time optical greats, like the CV 35 APO-Lanthar
...Show more

You provide an interesting view on the Batis 40 vs. Sony 40G. Thanks for your remarks.

As luck would have it, today I found a nice used Batis 40 on the FM B&S forum.

I'll keep your points in mind, but I'm sure I will be very pleased with the Batis 40. I know it will have certain areas that other lenses might be superior in performance, but from what I've seen here on FM and from reviews I'm sure this will be one of my favorite lenses.

I'm already favorably inclined (biased?) toward Zeiss products, and even in the case of the Batis 25, which is relatively weaker in fine IQ than the Loxia 25, I find it wonderful and producing charming images. I expect no less in comparing the CV 40/1.2E against the Batis 40 CF -- totally different animals, both being very able at what they do best. That's my hope anyway.

The lens should arrive within a week, and the mystery will be over for me.

Dec 01, 2022 at 03:06 PM
HueyFC

p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Why there is no a really great 40mm lens?

Gunzorro wrote:
The lens should arrive within a week, and the mystery will be over for me.

Let us know what you find so we all have a little more insight into this mystery.

Dec 01, 2022 at 04:19 PM
tsdevine
• • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Why there is no a really great 40mm lens?

I had the Batis 40 for a while, I really felt it provided images with depth. Dare I use the word 3D which I know stirs a lot of debate.

I wouldn't mind having one again, I did like the images from it.

Dec 01, 2022 at 04:58 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password