New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Gallery lighting for black and white prints

chas
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gallery lighting for black and white prints

Question:
I am planning to install overhead LED track lighting to display black and white prints. With all of the colors of LED lights, any advice on what temperature lighting to use would be appreciated.

Regards,
Chas

Nov 23, 2022 at 09:52 PM
Lightsearcher
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gallery lighting for black and white prints

Everything depends on the kind of lighting you have in the area you are planning to install it, at work we installed LED lights tracks and we noticed the temperature of the main lights in the room were so warm compared to the LED that usually are very cold creating a weird effect on the pictures.

Some LED track lights gives you the option to tune the temperature.

Nov 24, 2022 at 08:09 AM
photonoclast
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gallery lighting for black and white prints

A couple random thoughts, perhaps they will be helpful:
First, I would say matching the color temperature of the other lights in the room would be important. If you do that, you eyes naturally adjust to neutral. If they don't match, your perception will be of the color mismatch & not know what neutral is.
Second, I would say try to take an 8x10 to a lighting store demo room and see what it looks like.
Third, do you print on papers that use brighteners? They may respond quiet a bit to the presence of blue, and many LED lights do *not* actually have a smooth "blackbody" spectrum; they may have an apparent color temperature, but they have a blue "spike" near the end of your eye's spectral response, and this might affect how you perceive whites on papers with brighteners.

Nov 25, 2022 at 09:16 AM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password