New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Photography gear storage in home

secondclaw
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Photography gear storage in home

I live in Florida in a 55-65% humidity apartment by the ocean. The Ruggard cabinet I got from B&H with humidity control keeps humidity at 28-35% level, and everything inside the cabinet is in excellent condition (I had mold developing on an old lens before switching to this cabinet).

First cabinet that B&H shipped to me was damaged (by manufacturer it seems) and I had no issues with B&H picking it up and dropping off a perfect replacement.

Nov 29, 2022 at 05:54 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Photography gear storage in home

I use lateral file cabinets for my gear. Easy to pull out a drawer and see exactly what is inside. I buy them used and have not paid a great deal for high quality ones.

I have used Damprid to remove moisture from spaces where moisture was a concern and a few years ago I bought a whole house dehumidifier that works exceedingly well to remove water from the air.

Avoid using cloth or leather cases or bags as these materials become a good substrate for mold spores. Even in the uncontrolled basement space I have never had a mold problem with equipment stores in file cabinets or Pelican type cases. At least where I live the moisture is from people and cooking and so a concern in living spaces.

It also helps to keep lenses and bodies and bags clean. I periodically vacuum my backpacks, roller case, and shoulder bags inside and out to remove dust and dirt. When not in use I store them in plastic bags that I seal and then place in a box so no moisture can get inside.

Dec 01, 2022 at 05:53 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Photography gear storage in home

took on researching a little bit and it seems there is a consensus that some humidity is needed as a matter of fact - otherwise rubber and lubs get too dry
40 to 50% seems to be the ideal range, so get it tested and then decide about what needs to be done ,
Darkness and lack of ventilation does not help either

Dec 02, 2022 at 07:37 AM
CharleyL
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Photography gear storage in home

My cameras and photo gear live with me in my studio. It is an air conditioned/heated space in my home. The environment in the studio is 70-74 deg F year round and 45-70% RH. I do have a 6 X 10 storage closet in the studio for the gear, but the cameras are almost never in it. They are on tripods or tables in the studio because they are used often. When finished with a shoot, I put the lens caps on, and I wipe their cases down with a microfiber cloth, but otherwise they are just there and ready for my next use. My field kit is two "shooter bags" (because they are larger and padded like camera bags, and much cheaper) that contain most of what I use in the field, including the cameras, and they stay in the corner of the studio. They may also contain the cameras and lenses that I usually take with me when doing a shoot out of the studio somewhere. Again, they spend much of their time in the same studio environment that I do. I moved from NY State to North Carolina 40 years ago because I don't like the below zero temperatures, so the cameras and gear that I have now have never been exposed to below zero F temps. I have no desire to put myself in those temps any more either.

Charley

Dec 04, 2022 at 01:20 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password