New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

X-Pro3 Screen Failure Class Action Lawsuit

TENOG
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · X-Pro3 Screen Failure Class Action Lawsuit

There is a story out in PetaPixel about a class action lawsuit involving the X-Pro3. Allegedly the ribbon connector cable for the flip down screen is defective and fails, causing loss of use of the screen. I'm wondering how prevalent that problem is among users here. A second question is whether that ribbon failure occurs on other Fuji bodies with flip down screens, or whether it is limited to the X-Pro3. The article can be viewed at https://petapixel.com/2022/11/21/fujifilm-sued-for-falsely-advertising-x-pro3-as-having-reliable-durability/

Nov 22, 2022 at 01:27 PM
wsheldon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · X-Pro3 Screen Failure Class Action Lawsuit

I saw that, but the X-Pro 3 LCD design is unique in their line-up so it could certainly be limited to that model (if it is indeed a wide-spread problem). As another data point I've been using X-T series cameras for 5+ years and often manipulate the flip-out LCD without issues.

Nov 22, 2022 at 02:33 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · X-Pro3 Screen Failure Class Action Lawsuit

It is strange the if you search for the plaintiff ("photographer Jethro Inong" according to the article) nothing comes up.

Reading the filing, there's a lot of mumbo-jumbo in there. For example, a whole bunch of the text on page 2 refers not to the LCD that is the basis of the suit but to the EVF/OVF, which seems irrelevant and perhaps misinformed. There's more of this later in the document.

(An aside, this bit of Fujifilm marketing argle bargle is hilarious, reminding me of how bizarre the XPro3 marketing was: "When closed, all that can be viewed is a mini-display showing essential settings, removing the distraction of a full screen while shooting." To this point, if you are shooting through the viewfinder, there is no "distraction of teh full screen while shooting..." since you cannot see it while looking through the viewfinder!" But I digress...)

It seems to me that quoting anonymous user accounts on various forums won't count for much when it comes time to use evidence. But that's the evidence provided that this is a widespread problem.

Further... I wonder what Fujifilm's response has been to customers who contact them regarding this problem, one that has been reported here and elsewhere. Are they treating it as a normal out-of-warrantee repair and charging for it? Have they conducted their won testing on the ribbon inside the mechanism? If there really is a problem ó and that is entirely possible ó wouldn't they just offer a free repair policy as they did with the rubber eyepieces on the XPro2?

It will be interesting to see where this goes.

Nov 22, 2022 at 02:45 PM
DavidLR

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · X-Pro3 Screen Failure Class Action Lawsuit

I have a X-Pro3 and have a problem with the Sub Monitor. Five calls to Fuji repair center. Unhappy with the repair persons response asked to speak to a supervisor. Transferred and each time left a message for a callback. Still waiting for a call. Hopefully this lawsuit will wake up Fuji and a recall will be in order.
When I bought my X_pro1 in 2011 I was very happy with Fuji, even with having to comprimiize. Now the Sub monitor problem
and also wondering how long the focus lever, which replaced the four way pad, will last before breaking. Maybe just until the warranty expires?

Nov 22, 2022 at 05:37 PM
johndill

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · X-Pro3 Screen Failure Class Action Lawsuit

There have been complaints about the Sub Monitor failing and then the rear LCD failing soon after for years. A quick search shows tons of threads. Fujifilm should have have extended the warranty on these. They still have a chance to do the right thing and extend the warranty and reimburse all previous repairs. Painful yes, but it's the right thing to do

Nov 22, 2022 at 05:54 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · X-Pro3 Screen Failure Class Action Lawsuit

I have the XPro3 and have no issues with it yet. But if Fuji wants to recall these and replace them with XT5 then I might consider their offer. Will have to think really hard about it though.

Nov 22, 2022 at 06:45 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · X-Pro3 Screen Failure Class Action Lawsuit

johndill wrote:
There have been complaints about the Sub Monitor failing and then the rear LCD failing soon after for years. A quick search shows tons of threads. Fujifilm should have have extended the warranty on these. They still have a chance to do the right thing and extend the warranty and reimburse all previous repairs. Painful yes, but it's the right thing to do

I have the original x100 and it had the sticky aperture blade problem. Had to pull teeth to get Fuji to fix the camera. Finally they fessed up and I believe issued a recall.

Nov 22, 2022 at 07:20 PM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · X-Pro3 Screen Failure Class Action Lawsuit

I encountered an LCD screen issue on my relatively new X100V.

LCD screen stopped working and now the camera won't turn on at all. I'll have to send it in to Fuji for service.

Nov 23, 2022 at 08:50 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · X-Pro3 Screen Failure Class Action Lawsuit

From what I have seen Fuji has been charging for the Xpro3 screen repair, and it has been pricey.
After reading this, I actually have stopped flipping it down and use the VF instead. Until a solution to this is released. Repairing it using the same parts that fail does not seem much of a solution.

Nov 23, 2022 at 11:29 AM
Memory Man

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · X-Pro3 Screen Failure Class Action Lawsuit

I'm quite frustrated by this and I am glad that a fellow X-Pro3 owner has taken the initiative to launch a class action lawsuit. My sub monitor failed in July of this year, only a few months outside of warranty. Having spent the extra for the Dura Black model, and as a person who doesn't abuse his equipment, my expectation has been that the X-Pro3 would last for years to come (just like the X-E2 and X-T2 that I sold to fund my purchase).

Now, I get to count down the days and actions until my LCD screen fails. With an average repair cost of ~$400, I'm not in a position to send my camera in. I'm also not interested in pleading my case and battling with repair technicians and managers to negotiate a discount.

Outside of the LCD/sub monitor ribbon cable issue, my camera performed admirably. However, I rely on my sub monitor to change settings via muscle memory. This component failure has impacted my work flow significantly and I am no longer motivated to shoot my favorite camera. I paid full price for this thing and now I'm stuck with it... Who in their right mind would purchase a used X-Pro3 with a failing flip down screen, ya know?

Fuji needs to take responsibility and propose either a recall of affected cameras OR allow owners of affected cameras to trade their units in toward the purchase of something different. At this point, I'm done with the X-Pro3 and would much rather have an X-T4, X-T5, or X-H2.

Very unhappy.

Nov 23, 2022 at 07:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

syrcular

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · X-Pro3 Screen Failure Class Action Lawsuit

Iíve bought and returned about 4 copies of the X-Pro3 since it came out. Itís been a known issue that the X-Pro3 has had build quality issues despite itís marketing around being the most durable camera they make. I can tell you from my own personal experience, Iíve had problems with the Top Plate, EVF electronics, Shutter mechanism, grip loosening on the body, etc. of the 4 copies, I was only happy with one of the copies, which seemed to function acceptably or didnít have build quality issues I had gotten from previous copies I had acquired. I never owned the camera long enough to get issues with the LCD, but Iím definitely not surprised based on my experience. It just seemed like the camera had some serious QC issues.
I had the exact opposite experience with the X-Pro2 which I found extremely durable and long lasting which is probably why itís hard to find used out there these days.
Iíve always had good experience with Fujifilm Support since Iím based in New York, I got very fast turn around however itís been a couple of years since Iíve engaged with them.

Iíve moved on to the X-T5, and weíll see what they do with the X-Pro4. Hopefully they had learnings from the X-Pro3 and perhaps will make improvements to ensure build quality and design make sense. I did feel like that ribbon cable might be a problem down the line.

With all that said, Iím not sure this is entirely a class action lawsuit worthy case. Other brands run into design defects and problems all the time. Even Leica runs into issues with their cameras, and they donít even have a Pro Support option, with fairly long lead times for repair or even CLE. At least Fuji has some level of Pro Support whether that makes a difference or not.

But I guess I understand the frustration having experienced the cameras issues first hand.

Nov 24, 2022 at 08:14 AM
DavidLR

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · X-Pro3 Screen Failure Class Action Lawsuit

With only 5% of the market, maybe, Fuji should show a little more concern for their customers satisfaction.

Nov 24, 2022 at 09:46 AM
cdubea

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · X-Pro3 Screen Failure Class Action Lawsuit

Unfortunately, the only winners in class action lawsuits are the lawyers. Plaintiffs frequently get a small percentage and typically not anywhere near enough to rectify the problem.

Hopefully Fuji realizes the media costs and figures out a way to rectify the owners without paying lawyers a ton of money.

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:29 AM
TENOG
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · X-Pro3 Screen Failure Class Action Lawsuit

cdubea wrote:
Unfortunately, the only winners in class action lawsuits are the lawyers. Plaintiffs frequently get a small percentage and typically not anywhere near enough to rectify the problem.

Hopefully Fuji realizes the media costs and figures out a way to rectify the owners without paying lawyers a ton of money.

Cdubea, there is truth in what you say, i.e., that individual claimants in a class action usually see little personal reward. However, individual lawsuits against a large corporation like Fuji are expensive and futile, so there is no incentive for Fuji to correct a problem. On the other hand, a large class action suit can push Fuji to take action, such as a recall or to correct their manufacturing and warranty procedures. If the X-Pro3 is, indeed, defective then Fuji will have to clean up its act or suffer consequences in the future. At the very least they should make changes when they redesign the X-Pro4 since they will be on official notice of the problems. Prospective buyers will also be aware of the defects in the Pro3 and will consider them when buying that camera or its successor, something that Fuji will be well aware of.

Nov 25, 2022 at 11:10 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · X-Pro3 Screen Failure Class Action Lawsuit

DavidLR wrote:
With only 5% of the market, maybe, Fuji should show a little more concern for their customers satisfaction.

Yes but they have 98% of the instant market which is actually where they make all their money from in their photographic division.

Nov 25, 2022 at 11:26 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · X-Pro3 Screen Failure Class Action Lawsuit

TENOG wrote:
Cdubea, there is truth in what you say, i.e., that individual claimants in a class action usually see little personal reward. However, individual lawsuits against a large corporation like Fuji are expensive and futile, so there is no incentive for Fuji to correct a problem. On the other hand, a large class action suit can push Fuji to take action, such as a recall or to correct their manufacturing and warranty procedures. If the X-Pro3 is, indeed, defective then Fuji will have to clean up its act or suffer consequences in the future. At the very least they should make
...Show more

Also a class action lawsuit gains much more attention which might force Fuji's hand to do the proper thing here.

Nov 25, 2022 at 12:30 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · X-Pro3 Screen Failure Class Action Lawsuit

cdubea wrote:

It is a bit more complicated than that.

First, there aren't really any other alternatives. If one individual sues a corporation like Fujifilm for their own personal loss, unless they can show significant consequent damages, they aren't likely to be able to sue for more than their actual losses. The loss to any individual camera owner, even if we imagine punitive damages being added (not likely) are not remotely in the range required to get an attorney to even look at the suit.

Basically, beyond appealing to the good nature and ethics of the corporation, an individual has virtually no power to get traction on this.

However, when much larger sums are at risk, as in the case of a class action suit, there is enough potential value that an attorney (or attorneys) might be interested.

So, let's say that a hypothetical outcome is that owners of the affected cameras get some small amount of money and Fujifilm agrees to replace/repair all of the cameras that might have the problem at no cost. That's already more than the individual person contemplating a law suit against Fujifilm (which isn't' going to happen) will get. So for individual consumers, it seems like a better bet.

And, yes, if the suit is successful the attorneys could make a bundle. The size of any award generally takes that into consideration. More likely the case would be settled without a verdict, and the attorney's would here also be compensated ó†as they should be, since the whole thing would not have happened without them.

It isn't perfect, but it is probably the best alternative available, right?

Edited on Nov 26, 2022 at 02:59 PM · View previous versions

Nov 25, 2022 at 01:43 PM
DavidLR

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · X-Pro3 Screen Failure Class Action Lawsuit

DesmoliciousóóIf you were running a business, and one of its segments was only responsible for a very small percent of your total revenue would you continue selling that product? Personally I would give serious thought to dropping it. Food chains have come-on sales hoping to get an individuals into the store expecting them to buy other products.but you are not talking a $2000 camera.
Fuji has built their reputation on firmware updates which have now become few and far between..You might say the updates were the come-on pricing. They now realize firmware updates are not increasing revenue.
If I were runnng Fuji I would get a feel for wether or not a customer were willing to pay for the update. In my case there were many which i would have bought.

Nov 26, 2022 at 01:06 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · X-Pro3 Screen Failure Class Action Lawsuit

DavidLR wrote:
DesmoliciousóóIf you were running a business, and one of its segments was only responsible for a very small percent of your total revenue would you continue selling that product? Personally I would give serious thought to dropping it. Food chains have come-on sales hoping to get an individuals into the store expecting them to buy other products.but you are not talking a $2000 camera.
Fuji has built their reputation on firmware updates which have now become few and far between..You might say the updates were the come-on pricing. They now realize firmware updates are not increasing revenue.
If I were runnng Fuji
...Show more

Regarding your analogies...

People don't just buy a camera. They also buy lenses. Then, later, they'll buy another camera and more lenses, and brand loyalty is an issue.

There's also an idea that having well-regarding high-end products encourages the buyers of the less expensive products that may generate more profits. (Folks who sell prints probably recognize, for example, that often the large prints sell the small prints.)

Nov 26, 2022 at 03:01 PM
DavidLR

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · X-Pro3 Screen Failure Class Action Lawsuit

G everything you say I agree with. Correct me if I am wrong. If you have a much smaller share of cameras it will effect the number of lenses sold. When I had my Nikon setup I had many more lenses then I have with Fuji. As many others stating why they moved to Fuji, I wanted to travel lighter. Result 45+ pounds of Nikon replaces with 10 pounds of Fuji (including all Fuji lenses available then, and I accepted Fuji compromises. In 2011 that included negative flash system, no tilt shift lenses, and since I wanted to travel light I was not concerned with long lenses.

Nov 26, 2022 at 03:49 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password