FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Bobcat exploring the lake

tsunathanh
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bobcat exploring the lake

Had a nice outcome at my camera trap last night. This bobcat came by twice. This is a productive spot so Iím likely to add a second trap nearby.

Canon EOS R6    RF16mm F2.8 STM lens    16mm    f/2.8    8s    1250 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 22, 2022 at 12:46 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bobcat exploring the lake

Neat!

Morris

Nov 22, 2022 at 06:46 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bobcat exploring the lake

What a nice capture.

Birdie

Nov 22, 2022 at 10:35 PM
dclark
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bobcat exploring the lake

Very nice image!

It appears that you took a long exposure to get the background and surroundings and then a flash to get the moving bobcat. Is that correct? The balance is excellent.

Dave

Nov 22, 2022 at 10:40 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bobcat exploring the lake

Intriguing and enjoyable capture of the bobcat, Nathan! I am surprised that the flash didnít scare the bobcat away and actually, it came by twice.

Joshua

Nov 23, 2022 at 07:15 AM
tsunathanh
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bobcat exploring the lake

dclark wrote:
Very nice image!

It appears that you took a long exposure to get the background and surroundings and then a flash to get the moving bobcat. Is that correct? The balance is excellent.

Dave

Thank you! And- Yes, thatís right! Itís a bit of a gamble doing it this way, because youíre pretty much guaranteed not to get more than one shot per encounter because most donít stick around past 8 seconds, theyíre traveling along (Probably the more popular setup is to have the setup take three images per trigger, maybe a half second or second apart. but then no time for ambient light exposure). There is also a risk of ghosting, if say the moon is out and bright. But in camera trapping usually the more you risk the better the image (potential).

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

tsunathanh
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bobcat exploring the lake

AGeoJO wrote:
Intriguing and enjoyable capture of the bobcat, Nathan! I am surprised that the flash didnít scare the bobcat away and actually, it came by twice.

Joshua

Thanks! Yeah I find the flashes (within reason) donít actually bother the animals all that much. On all my setups I also run regular game cameras with video capture to see if I miss things, how the animals react, etc. The shutter sound is probably the most startling thing. I would kill to be able to fire my R6 in electronic shutter mode and still fire the flashes. I believe the R3 can do that, but I donít think Iím going to leave one of those in the woods

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:29 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bobcat exploring the lake

There ya go! You got a kitty cat already! Nice work.
I need to stop over so you can show me where I can find one of those kitties. I never see them in daylight around my area, so a trap is probably the only way I'd ever get a shot of one.
Dave

Nov 23, 2022 at 12:59 PM
tsunathanh
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bobcat exploring the lake

Happy to go shooting with you sometime! Iíve got bobcats on trail cameras during the day (dusk and dawn) but never seen one. Have seen river otter and beaver though

Working in an otter project now (brainstorming. Have some cool ideas!)

lighthound wrote:
There ya go! You got a kitty cat already! Nice work.
I need to stop over so you can show me where I can find one of those kitties. I never see them in daylight around my area, so a trap is probably the only way I'd ever get a shot of one.
Dave

Nov 23, 2022 at 07:42 PM
rand1951
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bobcat exploring the lake

Wow!!! A bobcat and the Big Dipper in the same image! What are the odds? Great photo!

rand

Nov 24, 2022 at 03:32 PM
tsunathanh
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Bobcat exploring the lake

.. Is that actually the Big Dipper?

rand1951 wrote:
Wow!!! A bobcat and the Big Dipper in the same image! What are the odds? Great photo!

rand

Nov 24, 2022 at 07:47 PM
CW100
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Bobcat exploring the lake

nice

Nov 27, 2022 at 05:31 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password