Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

best way to assign sRGB to a lot of jpg files ?

Alan321
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · best way to assign sRGB to a lot of jpg files ?

Hi everyone.
I have a lot of jpg files with no colour profile info. They are spread over quite a few folders. I'd like to know the easiest / most efficient way to assign sRGB (or another) to those files. I do not want to change the image pixel data; just ensure that it is treated as being sRGB data rather than anything else by any colour-management-aware software such as LrC. I'd also like to add something like " (sRGB)" to the name of each file, preferably at the same time.

My monitor is an EIZO wide gamut one and I can set its colour profile to sRGB but that then upsets the appearance of my non-sRGB files. Tagging the files is therefore my preferred approach.

It seems that Ps can assign a profile to jpg files easily enough but I do not know how to automate the process or do it bulk. Br can indicate which files are untagged or already have a profile, but it cannot assign a profile.

My experience is mainly with LrC, which is pretty useless for this task. I already expect that once I have tagged the picture files with the right colour profile I will be up for a lot of re-editing in LrC to compensate for the changes in displayed colours. I don't understand why Adobe doesn't make it easy to assign profiles to images within LrC. Instead I have to mess about with Br and/or Ps to get on top of a basic colour management problem that affects LrC.

Thanks in advance.
-- Alan

Nov 22, 2022 at 06:34 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · best way to assign sRGB to a lot of jpg files ?

If you can put all of those jpegs in one folder, it'd be quite easy to do this with Bridge.

Nov 22, 2022 at 08:00 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · best way to assign sRGB to a lot of jpg files ?

I don't have Bridge so I can't tell if this is possible, but can you use Bridge to select all untagged files (across folders) then use it to star or keyword all those files so that they are easy to select together. I think then that in LRC they can be selected if the star or keyword carries across (not possible in PS I think) and from LRC you could open them all in PS and run a profile change action and save.

Hope that's clear, but I'm not sure of the Bridge functionality.

Nov 22, 2022 at 11:47 AM
AnnJS
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · best way to assign sRGB to a lot of jpg files ?

Bridge is available to download at no extra charge if you subscribe to Ps and certain other major Adobe apps..

Bridge can do what you want and it also hosts ACR.

However, you will either need to move all the files into a single folder;
or (and this may be more helpful to your filing methods) handle each of your folders of images separately.

Nov 22, 2022 at 02:30 PM
sbay
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · best way to assign sRGB to a lot of jpg files ?

Peter Figen wrote:
If you can put all of those jpegs in one folder, it'd be quite easy to do this with Bridge.

Will bridge assign the profile without having to resave and recompress the jpeg file?

Nov 22, 2022 at 03:27 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · best way to assign sRGB to a lot of jpg files ?

sbay wrote:
Will bridge assign the profile without having to resave and recompress the jpeg file?

I believe it will, but even if it has to re-save, because no image data is being altered, there's no further damage to the file. You can test this by duplicating a file then amending the metadata on one of the files, then dragging one file on top of the other in Ps and setting the Blend mode of the upper layer to Difference. It should be completely black, indicating no difference in the pixel content of the files.

Nov 22, 2022 at 03:46 PM
sbay
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · best way to assign sRGB to a lot of jpg files ?

Peter Figen wrote:
I believe it will, but even if it has to re-save, because no image data is being altered, there's no further damage to the file.

Good to know. I can't seem to find how to assign a profile in bridge but if I do it in PS, it will recompress the image data on save even if it hasn't been changed.

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:41 AM
sbay
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · best way to assign sRGB to a lot of jpg files ?

Alan321 wrote:
I'd like to know the easiest / most efficient way to assign sRGB (or another) to those files. I do not want to change the image pixel data; just ensure that it is treated as being sRGB data rather than anything else by any colour-management-aware software such as LrC. I'd also like to add something like " (sRGB)" to the name of each file, preferably at the same time.

If you are comfortable with terminal, the easiest way to do this exiftool which can both assign profiles and rename.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6740441/how-to-set-a-color-profile-with-exiftool

Nov 23, 2022 at 11:00 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · best way to assign sRGB to a lot of jpg files ?

sbay wrote:
Good to know. I can't seem to find how to assign a profile in bridge but if I do it in PS, it will recompress the image data on save even if it hasn't been changed.

No. It will not recompress. You have not changed a single image pixel. I've done tests on this resaving up to 50 times and there is no change. This idea still continues and it's false.

I don't have Bridge on this old laptop at home, but I'll look at it when I get to the studio. It's really quite easy to do. Or you can just Google how to do it and you'll find a dozen videos on how to do it.

Nov 23, 2022 at 12:01 PM
sbay
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · best way to assign sRGB to a lot of jpg files ?

Well I just tested in PS, hit assign profile then save on a jpg. It brings up the quality dialog box and changes the file size.

Nov 23, 2022 at 12:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · best way to assign sRGB to a lot of jpg files ?

sbay wrote:
Well I just tested in PS, hit assign profile then save on a jpg. It brings up the quality dialog box and changes the file size.

If you leave it at the same compression level it should not change a thing. But go ahead and try it on a copy of the file, then bring it over on top of the original with the Difference blending mode and you should see all black, indicating no change.

Nov 23, 2022 at 12:59 PM
sbay
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · best way to assign sRGB to a lot of jpg files ?

Peter Figen wrote:
If you leave it at the same compression level it should not change a thing. But go ahead and try it on a copy of the file, then bring it over on top of the original with the Difference blending mode and you should see all black, indicating no change.

The files are definitely changing and being recompressed.

I'm grabbing random jpegs exported from lightroom or elsewhere without ICC profiles. Since they weren't saved in PS originally that may be the difference as there's no way to re-save at the exact same compression settings previously used. If it only works when saving with the same settings, that may be difficult to apply easily to an entire folder of jpegs.

Nov 23, 2022 at 04:42 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · best way to assign sRGB to a lot of jpg files ?

Well, I did the "Difference" test and there were a couple of areas where the Info Palette read 0,1,1 or 0,1,0, so essentially no change and certainly not enough to ever see it. Also did some further reading and it seems like you have to make an Action that does what you want it to do and then you have several options of how to implement that - either through Bridge, Photoshop, or as a Droplet where you just drop files or folders on the Droplet icon and the rest is automated.

Nov 23, 2022 at 08:11 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · best way to assign sRGB to a lot of jpg files ?

Peter Figen wrote:

Peter, like sbay I don't see any command in Bridge that will change or assign colour profiles. Were you referring to Bridge doing this, or to Bridge passing the files on to Photoshop for Ps to do the work ?

However, I can see that Bridge is clearly great for showing me which files have which profiles.

I have found out that in Ps I can use Edit > Assign Profile or Edit > Convert to Profile.
I dabbled with assigning a colour profile in Ps but nothing seemed different when I viewed it in LrC. So I tried converting to the profile and still no change when viewed in LrC. Eventually I got to see a change when I realised that I had to re-sync that folder within LrC to bring the Ps changes into LrC.

Problems were further compounded by the original picture files having crappy colours in terms of incorrect white balance, excessive saturation, etc., rather than just lacking a colour profile. So I haven't avoided editing the pictures but I might have a better starting point.

Another problem I have now is learning how to automate the process of saving the files from Ps with their new profiles and adding some text such as the profile name to their names automatically without being asked for details every time. I cheated somewhat by renaming them in bulk outside Ps Sometimes Ps proposes different compression levels and I don't know whether they are based on previous settings within the files or on something else such as the pixel dimensions of the files.

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:11 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · best way to assign sRGB to a lot of jpg files ?

I didn't even know about droplets, or had forgotten them long ago.
Looks like more reading coming up for me too.

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:18 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · best way to assign sRGB to a lot of jpg files ?

Alan321 wrote:
Peter, like sbay I don't see any command in Bridge that will change or assign colour profiles. Were you referring to Bridge doing this, or to Bridge passing the files on to Photoshop for Ps to do the work ?

However, I can see that Bridge is clearly great for showing me which files have which profiles.

I have found out that in Ps I can use Edit > Assign Profile or Edit > Convert to Profile.
I dabbled with assigning a colour profile in Ps but nothing seemed different when I viewed it in LrC. So I tried converting to
...Show more

Alan - The Action you would make would be using the Actions Palette to create an automation that would use the Assign Profile command to assign the desired profile.

When you're viewing a file with no assigned or embedded profile, you're essentially viewing it in what's called "Monitor RGB" - the native color space of your monitor. If your monitor is sRGB or close to it, it would make sense that you'd see little or no difference in the file's appearance after embedding/assigning the profile. Converting to a profile will attempt to maintain the look while changing the underlying color space and embedded profile, and if you've got images, as you say, that are already crappy, it might not matter if you assign a profile or not. The best advice in that situation is usually to try assigning different profiles to see what makes the file look the best and then convert to your preferred profile, whatever that may be. Then, if you wish, you can further color correct and retouch.

Another thing I like to do is, when viewing files in Photoshop, use the drop down menu at the lower left hand corner of the image window, click on it and set it to show Document Profile. That way, no matter what image you're looking at in Ps, you'll instantly be able to glance down and see what the color space is. And the last thing is that I would not obsess about whether resaving your jpegs changes a pixel or two by one or two points. It simply will not matter and you'll never see it.

Nov 24, 2022 at 02:41 AM
dclark
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · best way to assign sRGB to a lot of jpg files ?

Alan321 wrote:
Hi everyone.
I have a lot of jpg files with no colour profile info. They are spread over quite a few folders. I'd like to know the easiest / most efficient way to assign sRGB (or another) to those files. I do not want to change the image pixel data; just ensure that it is treated as being sRGB data rather than anything else by any colour-management-aware software such as LrC. I'd also like to add something like " (sRGB)" to the name of each file, preferably at the same time.

My monitor is an EIZO wide gamut one and I can
...Show more

Alan, You may not need to worry about no embedded sRGB profile in the files if you are using Lightroom. When you open a jpeg file that has no embedded profile, Lightroom assumes it is sRGB and applies an sRGB input profile to convert the image to LR's version of ProPhotoRGB that LR uses as its Profile Connection Space and for edits. If the color encoding of the file is in fact sRGB you will get the correct result, no need to do any editing to make corrections for the missing profile. If you do some edits and export the file, you will need to specify the color profile which will be embedded in the exported file. Lightroom will not allow export without specifying a color profile. If you use LR to send files to other applications (e.g. PS), you need to specify the color profile that will be used to send the image data to the other application (Edit > Preferences > External Editing). Lr recommends 16-bit ProPhotoRGB; that's good advice.

LR is good at enforcing good color management practices. Stick to LR to manage your files and you should have no issues.

Dave

Nov 24, 2022 at 03:06 PM
AnnJS
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · best way to assign sRGB to a lot of jpg files ?

Bridge is shipped with access to various tools including Image Processor.

You can then Batch Process copies of a whole group of images to a new format through that tool.

Much more capable than Adobe's Image Processor however is the independent Image Processor Pro.

A search on the internet will find it but you will need to follow the instructions very carefully when installing it because it has multiple components and you do need to put each of them in the right location in your computer.

Nov 24, 2022 at 10:43 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · best way to assign sRGB to a lot of jpg files ?

Thank you Peter, Dave and Ann.

Dave, I didn't realize that LrC behaved that way, or had forgotten. I probably didn't notice because too many of the pictures that I am concerned about are likely to have been edited poorly and still look bad. The rest are colour managed and look ok, which I tend to take for granted.

Nov 25, 2022 at 06:52 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password