Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Site that compares colors across brands?

rek101
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Site that compares colors across brands?

I've seen many comparisons where people use the same white balance settings to compare platforms...but I was hoping to see how the auto white balance settings compare. Is there a way to see a few samples in various lighting conditions (maybe indoor low light, sunset, backlit, Etc.) I was hoping to compare out of camera jpegs (or auto white balance) between the R6 to the Sony A9.Is there a resource out there that does this?

Nov 21, 2022 at 07:24 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Site that compares colors across brands?

This is about as close as you are going to get:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=phaseone_iq180&attr13_1=nikon_d800&attr15_0=jpeg&attr15_1=jpeg&attr16_0=35&attr16_1=50&normalization=full&widget=13&x=1.039109631786977&y=1.1487603305785123

Nov 22, 2022 at 06:18 AM
rek101
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Site that compares colors across brands?

Thanks...I forgot all about this. This helps quite a bit. I'm tempted to ask how they compare, but everyone seems to have their own interpretation of the term color science. As an amateur who just wants to quickly cull/crop the images for personal use, I appreciate any platform that reduces the number of steps or time necessary to go through images. When I switched to Nikon, I found myself constantly messing with white balance and if I go the Sony route, I'd like to avoid a repeat of that experience.

Nov 27, 2022 at 09:11 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Site that compares colors across brands?

When the shoot I do really matters, I always try to shoot a custom wb when it makes sense (consistent types of light through the event). Otherwise the second AWB mode from canon seems to work pretty well for me. I forget the actual mode name but it seems to get the colors correct more times than the original AWB mode.

Nov 27, 2022 at 09:16 AM
garyvot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Site that compares colors across brands?

TeamSpeed wrote:
When the shoot I do really matters, I always try to shoot a custom wb when it makes sense (consistent types of light through the event). Otherwise the second AWB mode from canon seems to work pretty well for me. I forget the actual mode name but it seems to get the colors correct more times than the original AWB mode.

Canon's modern auto white balance choices are Auto: Ambience Priority and Auto: White Priority. The former renders tungsten balanced scenes with a decisively warm color cast, while the later attempts to preserve clean, more neutral whites under the same conditions (which can be good or bad depending on the situation).

Nov 27, 2022 at 10:20 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.