B&H Photo Black Friday Deals

fotografur
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · B&H Photo Black Friday Deals

B&H

Canon R6. $2000

$200 off plus $300 off coupon

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1547010-REG/canon_eos_r6_mirrorless_digital.html

Nov 26, 2022 at 08:54 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · B&H Photo Black Friday Deals

eorlando wrote:
Smokin deal. Just ordered one.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1737963-REG/delkin_devices__325gb_black_cfexpress_memry.html

It is sort of a good deal, but the cardreader is slow. You can get the same GB/$ with the 512GB (if you get a "650GB", i.e., 605GiB). The 150GB are also reasonably priced since they are actually 150GiB, rather than 140GiB. The 325GB version is actually 302GiB as expected. I have 1937GB of the Delkin Blacks now including the 325 and just have to stop buying. I prefer the 325 and 256 as a practical size in the R5 and Z9.

EBH

Nov 26, 2022 at 12:03 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · B&H Photo Black Friday Deals

I shoot 4k/120 exclusively, 325gb will get 90 min worth. Wouldnt want smaller than that if Im dropping money on memory.

Nov 26, 2022 at 03:08 PM
Geoff CB
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · B&H Photo Black Friday Deals

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1700822-REG/synology_96tb_diskstation_ds1621_6_bay.html

If you guys are looking for a NAS this is a great discount on a massive one.

Nov 26, 2022 at 04:25 PM
stuuke
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · B&H Photo Black Friday Deals

Geoff CB wrote:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1700822-REG/synology_96tb_diskstation_ds1621_6_bay.html

If you guys are looking for a NAS this is a great discount on a massive one.

I really should buy another one and set myself up for the long haul but storage is just such a painful and boring purchase

I might just upgrade 4 drives in my current Synology from 4 to 10TB. The 10TB drives are on sale for $160.

Nov 26, 2022 at 05:54 PM
davev
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · B&H Photo Black Friday Deals

I know little to nothing about a NAS, but I have too many external drives, (at least 12) so I'm going to order one of these.
Looking at this item on B&H, is there anything else that I will need to set this up with my Mac Studio?

Nov 26, 2022 at 06:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Geoff CB
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · B&H Photo Black Friday Deals

davev wrote:
I know little to nothing about a NAS, but I have too many external drives, (at least 12) so I'm going to order one of these.
Looking at this item on B&H, is there anything else that I will need to set this up with my Mac Studio?

I recommend the an internal m.2 drive for cache to increase read speed, and a 10gb network card. Makes it much faster.

I have this exact drive and size and use it for video and photo. It can get a bit loud compared to regular external drives so keep that in mind, thankfully because you can run it through your network you can move it away from your desktop without issue.

Nov 26, 2022 at 07:46 PM
davev
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · B&H Photo Black Friday Deals

Geoff CB wrote:
I recommend the an internal m.2 drive for cache to increase read speed, and a 10gb network card. Makes it much faster.

I have this exact drive and size and use it for video and photo. It can get a bit loud compared to regular external drives so keep that in mind, thankfully because you can run it through your network you can move it away from your desktop without issue.

My plan is to use this in a raid for storage, probably raid 5 and just save a copy of the files on the 12 external drives.
I think that should give me triple redundancy, if I'm thinking right, and then the NAS, for the most part, will only be running
when I'm copying files to it, and occasionally when I'm looking though my older photos.

That make sense?

Nov 26, 2022 at 08:58 PM
talexander
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · B&H Photo Black Friday Deals

Definitely get m.2 cache drive. Go raid 6 you want spares, raid 5 rebuild almost guaranteed to fail on large drive capacities. Depending on how much storage you need Id recommend either a second nas somewhere else or cloud storage.

You can get 10 tb for 49.95/month from google drive and most nas have a drive auto sync feature.

Tim

Nov 26, 2022 at 11:09 PM
davev
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · B&H Photo Black Friday Deals

Thanks for the advice guys.
I can see this isn't going to be a plug and play type of thing.
I'll have to try to learn what I'm doing, before I actually do anything.

Raid 6 would still give me 64tb of storage, that should be enough for years to come, so I'll study up on that more.
As for the cashe, I don't see how that is going to help much, this will be for mass storage, not everyday access.
Maybe I'm wrong ... more studying.

Anyway, thanks for the info and direction of things to look into.

Nov 26, 2022 at 11:58 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · B&H Photo Black Friday Deals

davev wrote:

Raid 6 would still give me 64tb of storage, that should be enough for years to come, so I'll study up on that more.
As for the cashe, I don't see how that is going to help much, this will be for mass storage, not everyday access.

I have many NAS (QNAP and Synology) including four that have 10Gb ports (typically SPF+, but 10GbE would be correct for the MACs). The closest one I have to the DS1621+ is an 8-bay QNAP with the same CPU and 18TB drives. I tend to prefer RAID-Z2 (RAID 6) for 8 bays and RAID-Z1 (RAID 5) for 5 and fewer. On principle I prefer ZFS (QNAP) to Btrfs (Synology), though both are COW and better for data integrity than EXT4, which is the default and certainly fine for many users. The ZFS and Btrfs do exact a performance penalty.

You probably won't see a lot of benefit in SSD caching for large (photo and video) files and small numbers of concurrent users. In some cases the SSD will be bypassed for large files, but check the documentation. That bargain Synology deal has only 4GB of RAM, which impacts performance and in some cases limits volume sizes and other functionality. One of the benefits of the embedded Ryzen CPUs is that they support ECC RAM. I suggest 16GB or the max of 32GB.

EBH

Nov 27, 2022 at 01:59 AM
Geoff CB
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · B&H Photo Black Friday Deals

davev wrote:

If you're not planning to edit off of it, you can probably get away without the cache.

Nov 27, 2022 at 05:32 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password