Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Zeiss lensinfo on Flickr and Lightroom not present with Canon R6, but pr...

Deathchant

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zeiss lensinfo on Flickr and Lightroom not present with Canon R6, but present with Canon 6D

Hi all,

Ever since I got my Canon R6, Flickr won't display lensmaker information. I see this:

while I see this on Flickr when the picture was taken with a Canon 6D:

Flickr only shows what is present in the file, so I checked Lightroom, and I see that in case of 3rd party lenses (in this case a 135 apo sonnar) that no lensmaker info is shown, only the focal length on the R6:

In case of a picture taken with the 6D, I do see the lensinformation with all my Zeiss lenses:

When I attach Canon lenses (16-35, 70-200, 100-400 etc) to the R6, it works fine:
Flickr:

Lightroom:

So I don't think creating a ticket at Flickr makes sense, since it is already missing in the Lightroom library. Does anyone have a clue what causes this?

Nov 21, 2022 at 07:06 AM
Deathchant

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zeiss lensinfo on Flickr and Lightroom not present with Canon R6, but present with Canon 6D

Hmmm I kinda hoped someone would also recognize this issue....
I did some further digging....

I just took 4 shots:

1: _IMG.3306.CR3 = R6 + Zeiss 135 apo sonnar
2: _IMG.3307.CR3 = R6 + Canon 70-200
3: _IMG.3309.CR2 = 6D + Zeiss 135 apo sonnar
4: _IMG.3308.CR2 = 6D + Canon 70-200

If anybody is interested in the RAW files:
https://easyupload.io/m/m9jtye
pass = lensexif

See below:

I also checked what I see in-camera (in case of the R6, because the 6D does not show lensinfo when playbacking images).
R6 + Zeiss 135 apo sonnar:

R6 + Canon 70-200:

I can conclude the following:

- In Lightroom, the lensinfo shows correctly for the following combo's: 6D+canon, 6D+Zeiss, R6+canon
- In DPP 4.16, the lensinfo shows correctly for the following combo's: 6D+canon, R6+canon
- On Flickr, the lensinfo shows correctly for the following combo's: 6D+canon, 6D+Zeiss, R6+canon

At least Lightroom is aligned with Flickr...

Nov 25, 2022 at 08:14 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zeiss lensinfo on Flickr and Lightroom not present with Canon R6, but present with Canon 6D

Unfortunately, it's unlikely that Canon cares about your RF adapted EF Zeiss lens model information. They have not licensed RF to anyone yet AFAIK. Why does Flicker need to know that info or is it more for your business records?

EBH

Nov 25, 2022 at 02:39 PM
BokehBeauty
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zeiss lensinfo on Flickr and Lightroom not present with Canon R6, but present with Canon 6D

Yes, this is a new dirty trick* of Canon to sell their RF lenses. My R5 with the Canon EF-RF adapter doesn't record the EXIF given by any of my Zeiss ZE lenses. On the Mac, I use "MetaImage" from the Apple store to change the EXIF data before importing into LrC. To find the right EXIF settings took me some time. Now I may use too many but it works, see picture attached.

* To me it's a dirty trick as the two Canon RF WA lenses I have, 16mm and 14..35mm, lack the "live / brilliance" of the Zeiss lenses. The 14..35mm is sharper wide open, but that doesn't make an attracting image.

MetaImage settings

https://photos.smugmug.com/Photography/Color-experience/i-mtVH6Jm/0/ad1f3b71/X3/MetaImage%20settings-X3.png

Nov 27, 2022 at 12:20 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.