Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Small pupils in dark studio - extra lamp?

memoria
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Small pupils in dark studio - extra lamp?

Usually I want my models pupils to be small-ish and not dilated which of course is an issue if the ambient light in the studio is not enough. Unfortunately the modeling lamp in my Elinchroms are very weak and is not enough at all - at least not in my big modifiers and I tend to shoot indirect or with deflectors. The lamp basically just makes the outer diffusion panel white and not gray.

So, do you have any tips? I am thinking maybe an external LED/video lamp next to the camera - or something but I don't want to throw off the color balance. Maybe it would be ok to keep it high enough to tune down those pupils but low enough to be black when strobes are not fired (ie black frame). Just a hint of highlight rendering from a wrong color source can really mess with skin tones and makes post work hell...

But I figure a fairly good daylight LED should be OK?

Thanks heaps in advance.

Nov 21, 2022 at 04:41 AM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Small pupils in dark studio - extra lamp?

Typically, if you can get a dark frame at sync speed or slower, the strobe will overwhelm any ambient light.

Nov 21, 2022 at 08:41 AM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Small pupils in dark studio - extra lamp?

LED monolight like the Nanlite FS series, as both a focus assist and a pupil light - usually bounced into a wall or V Flat is good; then get another strobe (200-300ws) and bang it into the floor with a white showcard where the light is hitting - it will create a little fill in the lower half of the eyes if you position it correctly.,

Nov 21, 2022 at 09:25 PM
kaplah
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Small pupils in dark studio - extra lamp?

memoria wrote:
Usually I want my models pupils to be small-ish and not dilated which of course is an issue if the ambient light in the studio is not enough. Unfortunately the modeling lamp in my Elinchroms are very weak and is not enough at all - at least not in my big modifiers and I tend to shoot indirect or with deflectors. The lamp basically just makes the outer diffusion panel white and not gray.

So, do you have any tips?

a) up the ambient your your studio. a normally lit room is black at 1/250, iso 100, f/8 of f/11. If for some reason you want shallow depth of field you can put ND filters on your lens.

b) have to model glance at a white reflector with a flashlight or similar bouncing off of it right before getting the frame. Not ideal.

c) get one elinchrom with a strong (250w equivalent or better, which is roughly LED of 35 watts or more) modelling light and use that as key. This is the "best" solution, by far, if it otherwise meets your budget / needs. Generally better than bright ambient.

Nov 28, 2022 at 10:04 AM
iDik

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Small pupils in dark studio - extra lamp?

Mount a nice, bright LED bulb & fixture inside your big modifier.

Jan 02, 2023 at 07:57 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Small pupils in dark studio - extra lamp?

How quick is the recycling time of your strobe? I noticed if I shoot quickly enough the pupils stay small. Interesting to see the difference between shots #1 and 3 or 4 in a quick sequence. Might eventually give the subject/model a bit of a headache.

I'd say if anything bounce a decent daylight LED off a white wall or ceiling near the camera. At the least it will let the model see you. I've found that at least 'normal people' sitting for photos like to be able to see the photographer and what's going on around the camera. Might be bright enough to also affect pupil size.

Jan 25, 2023 at 01:42 AM
CharleyL
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Small pupils in dark studio - extra lamp?

This is what "modeling lights" in studio strobes are best for.

Charley

Feb 03, 2023 at 12:58 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.