FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · White Throat Sparrow with New Noise Reduction Method

morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · White Throat Sparrow with New Noise Reduction Method

The sun had set and I had found a way to process out noise from extremely high ISO files. I was waiting for opportunities when I heard this sparrow. It was too dark for me to see color yet in my camera's viewfinder the color was there.

Processing is DxO PureRAW 2, then ACR and Photoshop. In photoshop I cropped to vertical and then use Neatimage for additional noise reduction and lastly apply a bit of USM in Photoshop.

Morris

X-H2S    NIKON AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR lens    500mm    f/5.6    1/110s    12800 ISO    +1.3 EV  

Nov 19, 2022 at 09:49 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · White Throat Sparrow with New Noise Reduction Method

I think we will see higher ISO's available too. It cleaned up nicely Morris. Maybe a little less of the brighter area in the comp? You balanced the exposure well.
Karl

Nov 19, 2022 at 09:51 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · White Throat Sparrow with New Noise Reduction Method

Indeed, it cleanup nicely. Your overexposing helped a little as well, I believe. Well-done, Morris!

Joshua

Nov 19, 2022 at 10:29 AM
YEG-Photog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · White Throat Sparrow with New Noise Reduction Method

Considering the ISO, it looks pretty good, Morris. I find that the noise reduction process often creates a lot of "crud" along the edges of the subject and between things like fine feathers and twigs that are close together. I see that here on your example. I also find NR removes subtle details from areas that are slightly out of focus. If you don't zoom in, everything can look OK. Guess it depends on how the image is used as to whether the results are acceptable.

Nov 19, 2022 at 10:32 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · White Throat Sparrow with New Noise Reduction Method

Karl Witt wrote:
I think we will see higher ISO's available too. It cleaned up nicely Morris. Maybe a little less of the brighter area in the comp? You balanced the exposure well.
Karl

Thank you Karl,

I agree with you regarding higher ISOs coming. I can enable one more stop. Till this I did not think it made sense

---------------------------------------------

AGeoJO wrote:
Indeed, it cleanup nicely. Your overexposing helped a little as well, I believe. Well-done, Morris!

Joshua

Thank you Joshua,

I'm happy with the results

---------------------------------------------

YEG-Photog wrote:
Considering the ISO, it looks pretty good, Morris. I find that the noise reduction process often creates a lot of "crud" along the edges of the subject and between things like fine feathers and twigs that are close together. I see that here on your example. I also find NR removes subtle details from areas that are slightly out of focus. If you don't zoom in, everything can look OK. Guess it depends on how the image is used as to whether the results are acceptable.

I agree Ken. I produce images to be seen at an intended size

Morris

Nov 19, 2022 at 10:15 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · White Throat Sparrow with New Noise Reduction Method

Nice one Morris. Having the tools now to work the higher ISO files is a welcome option.

Birdie

Nov 20, 2022 at 11:38 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · White Throat Sparrow with New Noise Reduction Method

birdied wrote:
Nice one Morris. Having the tools now to work the higher ISO files is a welcome option.

Birdie

Thank you Roberta,

There will be times when it is helpfull

Morris

Nov 20, 2022 at 05:10 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.