New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Real world expectations for IBIS on the R6 using MF glass

jgoetz4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Real world expectations for IBIS on the R6 using MF glass

I'm going to pick up an R6 soon, to use mainly with MF glass. In particular, I'll be using a Voigtlander 40 2.0, Canon FL 55 1.2, Canon 135 2.8 and a Canon 300 4.0. About how many stops can I expect? The 40, 55 & 135 will probably be used for low light photography. Thanks.
Jim

Nov 18, 2022 at 08:29 PM
jedibrain
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Real world expectations for IBIS on the R6 using MF glass

It depends a lot on the user and how steady you are. Some folks see a lot of benefit, others less. I'd guess most folks see about 2-4 stops at the wider angles. IBIS is less effective on longer focal lengths, where IS becomes more effective. So maybe closer to 4 on the 40 and 55, and closer to 2 on the 135 and 300 would be a reasonable place to start the guessing.

-Brian

Nov 18, 2022 at 08:46 PM
jgoetz4
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Real world expectations for IBIS on the R6 using MF glass

jedibrain wrote:
It depends a lot on the user and how steady you are. Some folks see a lot of benefit, others less. I'd guess most folks see about 2-4 stops at the wider angles. IBIS is less effective on longer focal lengths, where IS becomes more effective. So maybe closer to 4 on the 40 and 55, and closer to 2 on the 135 and 300 would be a reasonable place to start the guessing.

-Brian

Thanks Brian. I have shaky hands from caffeine use (3 large cups of coffee daily) that's why I was hoping the IBIS would help. I'm not fond of tripod use for the 40 and 55.
Jim

Nov 18, 2022 at 08:53 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Real world expectations for IBIS on the R6 using MF glass

I own both the EF 200 2.8L USM and EF 300 4L USM and use them on my R7. For me IBIS is close to useless for the EF 300 4L USM and a little helpful—1 stop at best—on the EF 200 2.8L USM. However, IBIS works great on my 10-22 USM, 24 2.8 STM, RF 50mm 1.8 and EF-S 60mm Macro. Perhaps R6 IBIS is a little different but R7 IBIS is mainly effective on moderately wide to short telephoto for me.

Nov 18, 2022 at 09:13 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Real world expectations for IBIS on the R6 using MF glass

The inherent limitations of how much IBIS can move the sensor to compensate for movement mean it is more effective with wider lenses where the same amount of physical camera movement results in a lower 'pixel spread' of that movement in the actual image. As you can clearly see through the viewfinder, movement is much more noticeable with a telephoto lens compared to wide angle and normal to short tele lenses. It's a reason you still see optical image stabilization in new lenses. For example the new RF135L.

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:41 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Real world expectations for IBIS on the R6 using MF glass

From my experience, I think you will find it a benefit for those lenses up to the 135. IBIS is less effective with longer focal lengths, so for the 300 it will provide a little help but not much.

Nov 19, 2022 at 01:35 AM
jgoetz4
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Real world expectations for IBIS on the R6 using MF glass

Thanks for all the responses I should be ok up to the 135.
Jim

Nov 19, 2022 at 07:49 AM
exdeejjjaaaa
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Real world expectations for IBIS on the R6 using MF glass

jgoetz4 wrote:
I'm going to pick up an R6 soon, to use mainly with MF glass. In particular, I'll be using a Voigtlander 40 2.0, Canon FL 55 1.2, Canon 135 2.8 and a Canon 300 4.0. About how many stops can I expect? The 40, 55 & 135 will probably be used for low light photography. Thanks.
Jim

"...With some lenses with a large image circle, such as the RF 28-70mm F2L USM and RF 85mm F1.2L USM, the camera's IBIS can deliver up to 8-stops of IS even though the lenses do not have built-in optical stabilization...." (c) Canon itself

canon also claims the same for R7 IBIS w/ 1.6 crop for 28-70mm F2 (70 * 1.6 = 112mm FOV),

"...However, the EOS R7 has the same IBIS system as its stablemates and will deliver the same 8-stops of IBIS when using certain full-frame lenses such as the RF 28-70mm F2L USM ..." (c) Canon itself

so your 135/2.8 shall be very much OK with just IBIS on R6 even if does not reach max 8 stops

PS: note that for IBIS to work better is important that a large image circle will be projected by lens ( so it is not an amplitude of sensor movements in the first place that limits IS effectiveness, but what lens output is first of all )

Nov 19, 2022 at 10:03 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Real world expectations for IBIS on the R6 using MF glass

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:
"...With some lenses with a large image circle, such as the RF 28-70mm F2L USM and RF 85mm F1.2L USM, the camera's IBIS can deliver up to 8-stops of IS even though the lenses do not have built-in optical stabilization...." (c) Canon itself

canon also claims the same for R7 IBIS w/ 1.6 crop for 28-70mm F2 (70 * 1.6 = 112mm FOV),

"...However, the EOS R7 has the same IBIS system as its stablemates and will deliver the same 8-stops of IBIS when using certain full-frame lenses such as the RF 28-70mm F2L USM ..." (c) Canon itself

so your 135/2.8
...Show more

It's a little of all of the above, really. Image circle will limit IBIS effectiveness, but so will the IBIS technology itself (i.e., why can't the R7 have ten stops or twelve stops of correction when using full-frame glass with large image circles?).

And then there's the field of view, of course. Wider lenses have less frame movement with the same camera movement as compared to longer lenses.

Finally, shutter speed is a factor - with longer focal lengths, higher shutter speeds will still benefit from IBIS; lower shutter speeds that wouldn't have had a chance of being sharp simply won't be recoverable with IBIS. Same goes for OIS or digital stabilization, though these technically could be stacked for 'better' output than what could be had without.

The thing with shutter speed is that it is used creatively as much as it's used for exposure; so even with longer focal lengths, IBIS can still enable more creative freedom even if it isn't adding much exposure advantage. Things like needing to keep a high enough shutter speed to stop subject movement irrespective of camera movement are certainly useful, in my opinion.

Nov 19, 2022 at 12:15 PM
exdeejjjaaaa
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Real world expectations for IBIS on the R6 using MF glass

johnctharp wrote:
It's a little of all of the above, really. Image circle will limit IBIS effectiveness, but so will the IBIS technology itself (i.e., why can't the R7 have ten stops or twelve stops of correction when using full-frame glass with large image circles?).

did you ask yourself why OIS in lenses can't do that for example @ 135mm :-) ? why IBIS alone beats OIS alone here ? - here we go ... IBIS + OIS > IBIS > OIS - that simple ( unless you of course intentionally handicap IBIS by a small image circle )

Nov 19, 2022 at 02:23 PM
LCPete
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Real world expectations for IBIS on the R6 using MF glass

Not sure how as in body stabilisation isn’t as effective on longer lenses but I’m finding that I can shoot with lower shutter speeds with my 300 2.8 on my R5 than I could with the same lens on my 7D2 , maybe I’m just getting better at handholding my setup but unlikely as I’m getting older

Nov 20, 2022 at 03:59 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Real world expectations for IBIS on the R6 using MF glass

Which 300 are you using? An IS version? Canon implements a hybrid IS solution combining optical IS with IBIS. Of course that will be more effective than optical IS alone. For hybrid IS, optical IS does the 'heavy lifting' to steady the image arriving at the sensor to within IBIS's range of effectiveness.

Nov 21, 2022 at 01:19 AM
jgoetz4
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Real world expectations for IBIS on the R6 using MF glass

rscheffler wrote:
Which 300 are you using? An IS version? Canon implements a hybrid IS solution combining optical IS with IBIS. Of course that will be more effective than optical IS alone. For hybrid IS, optical IS does the 'heavy lifting' to steady the image arriving at the sensor to within IBIS's range of effectiveness.

Canon FD 300 4.0
Jim

Nov 21, 2022 at 05:30 AM
jpeter
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Real world expectations for IBIS on the R6 using MF glass

With an r5 and voitlander 35mm i can hand hold 1/2 sec exposure. Was shooting moving water in low light without a tripod. I took many extra shots hoping one would be sharp. Just about all were good at 100pct view. Mind blowing how good it is. Jp

Nov 21, 2022 at 06:02 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Real world expectations for IBIS on the R6 using MF glass

rscheffler wrote:

jgoetz4 wrote:
Canon FD 300 4.0
Jim

OK, thanks. IBIS will improve handholdability with your 300 over a non-IBIS camera, which is exactly what you observed. It's just that compared to a 300mm lens with modern optical stabilization, it likely won't be as effective. And both combined in a hybrid function will be the most effective. You're definitely still ahead of what you had with the 7D2 in respect to handholding at lower shutter speeds. It's a great example of how a modern feature can extend the usability range of an older lens.

Nov 21, 2022 at 12:50 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Real world expectations for IBIS on the R6 using MF glass

I've typically gotten around 4 stops of handholdability with most manual focus glass. The IBIS on the R5/R6 (and I assume the R6 II) is quite good.

Nov 21, 2022 at 01:11 PM
jgoetz4
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Real world expectations for IBIS on the R6 using MF glass

Again, thanks for all the responses. Greatly appreciated
Jim

Nov 23, 2022 at 05:15 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.