Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

rbf_
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

gdanmitchell wrote:
Don't know if this will apply to you or not, but I also come from the Canon world.

In my case, I acquired Fujifilm x-trans gear as an adjunct to my Canon full frame equipment rather than as a replacement.

A decade ago, when I got my first "trial" Fujifilm camera (the old XE1) and a few primes, at first I was a bit put off by the very different interface and the smaller body size. The performance of the lenses that I started with was excellent, so I felt the image quality was fine for APS-C. As a long-time film
...Show more

Having come from Canon and jumped into Fuji with an XE1 and then gone to the XP2 I know where that's at in terms of responsiveness, the XE1 was definately quirky and the XP2 was an improvement. I only do some casual BiF shooting (and none with the XT5 so far) but the XT3 was a huge jump in AF, FPS and overall responsiveness. I can't yet assess the XT5 because I haven't shot it enough but I'm well aware that the advantage other companies had over them was mostly due to their use of software based ML/AI tech. That's why manufacturers are able to quickly catchup and leapfrog each other with firmware releases in these AF tests that may be mostly marginal in relation to real life photography. In any case I think that when you upgrade from the XP2 you will be happy with the speed, responsiveness and AF improvements.

Nov 27, 2022 at 12:05 AM
aagirlz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

XT5 with tt artisan 40mm macro

Nov 27, 2022 at 03:16 AM
aagirlz

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

And a few that I would likely not have gotten with autofocus on my canon R6

and

Nov 27, 2022 at 03:39 AM
wsheldon
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

tmoseley1 wrote:
The experiment was with Fujiís XF 16-80mm f/4 R OIS WR Lens. But this was just an impression in LR - not a scientific survey of similar glass. It may be an unfair comparison.

I agree that's not the best choice for evaluating the capabilities of the system. It's a practical travel zoom but reportedly doesn't excel in any particular area other than range.

Bokeh can be lovely with Fuji's fast primes and longer zooms. Here's a recent shot with the X-T3 and 70-300 which can achieve excellent Bokeh IMO, particularly close up

X-T3    XF70-300mmF4-5.6 R LM OIS WR lens    300mm    f/8.0    1/340s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 27, 2022 at 06:57 AM
tmoseley1

p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

wsheldon wrote:
I agree that's not the best choice for evaluating the capabilities of the system. It's a practical travel zoom but reportedly doesn't excel in any particular area other than range.

Bokeh can be lovely with Fuji's fast primes and longer zooms. Here's a recent shot with the X-T3 and 70-300 which can achieve excellent Bokeh IMO, particularly close up

Thatís beautiful.

Nov 27, 2022 at 12:16 PM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

@tmoseley1

I read that lenses with aspherical elements suffer more bokeh artifacts -- light diffracting through the lens effectively "magnifies" the tiny imperfections on the surface of the element and those appear as weird (sometimes onion-ring-y) patterns on the bokeh.

The 16-80 has three aspherical elements, along with a pretty slow maximum aperture of f4.

If you shoot the same image on a lens like the 35 f1.4 you will see much more pleasing bokeh for sure.

Nov 28, 2022 at 12:44 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

Yes to others' points; bokeh also varies depending on distance from subject and background.

Nov 28, 2022 at 01:08 PM
Joseph Marney
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

I now have both the X-H2 and X-T5. I shoot some hybrid events - photo and video from the same camera(s). The X-H2 does great here, of course. I also prefer the higher resolution of the X-H2 viewfinder. It definitely balances better with the 16-55mm than the X-T5.

The X-T5 is simply familiar in hand, and I can operate it with a simple confidence that eludes me with the X-H2. My preferred setup for photos is M mode with Auto-ISO and Exp. Comp on the back dial. I haven't found a setup on the X-H2 that feels intuitive to me. Non-clickable command dials is stupid, lol.

My one and only wish is that the X-T5 could record Pro-Res 422. As it stands, I'm looking at having an X-H2s in the stable as well, which would allow for a consistency in my two camera video workflow.

The biggest concession I'm making with both bodies is the sensor. Whether it be 26mp or 40mp, the APS-C sensor just doesn't hold up as well in low-light as the full frame competition. I rely on Fuji's fast glass to help close that gap. Some f2 zooms would sure be welcome.

Lastly, I briefly owned a GFX 50s II, and only gave it up because of my hybrid needs. If and when dollars allow, I will add GFX back in, purely for photo purposes. My dream camera would be a X-T5 style GFX camera with a 50mp sensor updated to shoot decent 4k video. Maybe someday....

Nov 28, 2022 at 01:33 PM
genjy
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

What I like about the X-T4 (and the X-T5 too) is the Still/Movie switch below the SS dial. It allows me to toggle between the two modes quickly, and just feeling the position of the switch with my finger lets me know which mode it's in. It's an excellent hybrid shooting feature.

One thing I actually don't like are the clickable command dials, especially the rear one. The dials don't feel as robust as non-clickable ones on other cameras, and I always accidentally click on the rear dial while scrolling it, like when I am using the Q-menu. Being able to be pressed in also makes scrolling slower and clumsier.

I shoot Sony FF too... not even counting FF sensor advantages, there are no Fuji lenses that can match Sony's fast GM primes. The 50 1.2 GM and 35 1.4 GM are out of this world.

Joseph Marney wrote:
The X-T5 is simply familiar in hand, and I can operate it with a simple confidence that eludes me with the X-H2. My preferred setup for photos is M mode with Auto-ISO and Exp. Comp on the back dial. I haven't found a setup on the X-H2 that feels intuitive to me. Non-clickable command dials is stupid, lol.

The biggest concession I'm making with both bodies is the sensor. Whether it be 26mp or 40mp, the APS-C sensor just doesn't hold up as well in low-light as the full frame competition. I rely on Fuji's fast glass to help
...Show more

Nov 28, 2022 at 01:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mdude85
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

genjy wrote:
What I like about the X-T4 (and the X-T5 too) is the Still/Movie switch below the SS dial. It allows me to toggle between the two modes quickly, and just feeling the position of the switch with my finger lets me know which mode it's in. It's an excellent hybrid shooting feature.

One thing I actually don't like are the clickable command dials, especially the rear one. The dials don't feel as robust as non-clickable ones on other cameras, and I always accidentally click on the rear dial while scrolling it, like when I am using the Q-menu. Being able to
...Show more

Yeah, if you need that subject isolation then FF is usually the way to go, regardless of the brand.

There is the Voigtlander 23 f1.2 for X mount but alas it's manual focus only. And I'd be surprised if it could match the quality of a GM lens.

That being said, those two GM lenses are massive and much costlier than fast primes from Fuji. I think most enthusiasts know that APS-C kits have a big advantage in both size and cost, and once you start producing sub f1.4 primes for a crop sensor, it sort of defeats their purpose.

Edited on Nov 28, 2022 at 04:30 PM · View previous versions

Nov 28, 2022 at 02:55 PM
goodbokeh
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

genjy wrote:

One thing I actually don't like are the clickable command dials, especially the rear one. The dials don't feel as robust as non-clickable ones on other cameras, and I always accidentally click on the rear dial while scrolling it, like when I am using the Q-menu. Being able to
...Show more

I have the Sony FF system also. What the Fuji APS-C system brings to the table (for me) is smaller and alternative telephoto options like the 50/2.0, 80/2.8 macro, 90/2.0, & 70-300 4.5-5.6.
I have to say the IQ of the X-H2 is really solid and doesn't give up much at all to my Sony A1.

Nov 28, 2022 at 03:29 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

Sharona wrote:
Yes to others' points; bokeh also varies depending on distance from subject and background.

That's definitely true! One of my lenses (for another brand) is the Canon 100-400mm zoom, a fine lens but definitely not a "bokeh monster" lens. But a the minimum focus distance it can make some very nice bokeh.

Nov 28, 2022 at 03:39 PM
Joseph Marney
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

genjy wrote:

Definitely agree on this, and meant to mention it as well.

Regarding the clickable wheels - I see your point, but with ISO, SS, A, and EC on dedicated dials and wheels, the front and rear control dials aren't getting the heavy workout they otherwise would.

Nov 28, 2022 at 10:05 PM
wsheldon
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

My X-T5 arrived yesterday and I've been running it through its paces with the new 56/1.2wr lens and some of my other workhorses (16/1.4, 16-55/2.8, etc). Physically it is noticeably more compact than my X-T3, but still feels very solid. I needed an Arca plate for tripod work anyway so I bought it with the metal hand grip, and the little extra height and grip are very welcome for my largish hands. The dials, wheels and buttons feel great, and the larger and re-positioned AF-On button is a major improvement. All very familiar but with nice tweaks.

I'm still testing with my various lenses, but IQ looks great so far. The resolution bump is noticeable over the X-T3, and the amount of detail I can see with the new 56/1.2wr wide open is amazing. Stunning lens. Looking forward to trying some landscapes with my 16-55 at ISO 125 soon.

The biggest surprise so far are the many subtle but long-desired changes to the menu system. The camera *FINALLY* remembers your last position in the menu tree when you exit and return. I can't believe it took this long for such a common-sense feature - I've been grousing about that since the X-T2 days. Hopefully that will make it to the X-T3 too! And you can now set an option to remember the timer setting when powering down - I use a 2sec timer instead of a remote release for tripod work so that's a huge convenience for me. The new 3D level is really useful, and the ability to set auto minimum shutter speed (based on lens focal length) for auto-ISO profiles is also handy. Separate My Menu options for stills and video is also nice for my occasional video work. Again, very familiar as a long-time X-user but with many nice little enhancements.

High ISO noise looks very reasonable compared to the X-T3, but I'll be trying some low light event photography at a holiday parade tomorrow (with the 16/1.4 and 56/1.2) so I'll know more soon.

Very pleased so far.

Nov 30, 2022 at 08:17 AM
tammons
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

gaopa wrote:
Now that the X-T5 is shipping, I would like to know what fellow FM forum members who have the new model think of the camera. It would appear that the X-T5 is a nice upgrade to the X series line.

Nice body.
Not too large, but could use a grip for large hands and large lenses.
Nice AF.
Not the best AF ever but decent.

Only negative so far for me, is high ISO noise, but at 40mp APSC that is expected.

Nov 30, 2022 at 11:42 AM
Joseph Marney
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

wsheldon wrote:
My X-T5 arrived yesterday and I've been running it through its paces with the new 56/1.2wr lens and some of my other workhorses (16/1.4, 16-55/2.8, etc). Physically it is noticeably more compact than my X-T3, but still feels very solid. I needed an Arca plate for tripod work anyway so I bought it with the metal hand grip, and the little extra height and grip are very welcome for my largish hands. The dials, wheels and buttons feel great, and the larger and re-positioned AF-On button is a major improvement. All very familiar but with nice tweaks.

I've been tempted to upgrade to the WR 56mm. Although the sharpness is one reason, the much better MFD is what really intrigues me.

Nov 30, 2022 at 11:45 AM
genjy
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

That's how I feel about it too. I bought a Fuji 56 1.2 R and then promptly sold it because the kit was almost as big and heavy as my Sony FF with Zeiss Batis 85. I realized why bother with big lenses on my Fuji when my Sony could do a much better job with its big lenses.

I mean if Fuji X-mount were my only system, then of course there would be no choice, but I think it's best to keep my Fuji kit reasonably small and light. Good for Fuji making the X-T5 smaller and lighter.

mdude85 wrote:
That being said, those two GM lenses are massive and much costlier than fast primes from Fuji. I think most enthusiasts know that APS-C kits have a big advantage in both size and cost, and once you start producing sub f1.4 primes for a crop sensor, it sort of defeats their purpose.

Nov 30, 2022 at 11:59 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

genjy wrote:
That's how I feel about it too. I bought a Fuji 56 1.2 R and then promptly sold it because the kit was almost as big and heavy as my Sony FF with Zeiss Batis 85. I realized why bother with big lenses on my Fuji when my Sony could do a much better job with its big lenses.

I mean if Fuji X-mount were my only system, then of course there would be no choice, but I think it's best to keep my Fuji kit reasonably small and light. Good for Fuji making the X-T5 smaller and lighter.

I beat that drum to death in this thread over a year ago, although very few people on this subforum want to hear it.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1724958/1

I enjoy Fuji a lot more when using it as the system I cheat on my full frame with

Nov 30, 2022 at 12:06 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password