Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

gaopa
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

Now that the X-T5 is shipping, I would like to know what fellow FM forum members who have the new model think of the camera. It would appear that the X-T5 is a nice upgrade to the X series line.

Nov 18, 2022 at 02:41 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

I picked one up, yesterday, in New Zealand, where I am on holiday. I have my XH2 with me and some zooms but no primes and my XT3 and XT4 are at home. So this is speculation. It *feels* small although itís only marginally smaller. I think more XT3 than XT4.

It still feels nice and dense and well made. The dials are great. I like them better than my XH2 and the screen. I heard reports the ISO dial was tight and it was easy to also move the drive dial below. Thatís not the case with mine. No chance changing ISO will accidentally move the drive dial as well.

If you look for it the XH2 EVF increased resolution is there but itís not as big a difference as you might expect. I didnít even notice when shooting them side by side.

It just feelsÖ.., well, familiar. If you want the extra resolution and the old tri flip screen then itís a no brainer.

Really looking forward to putting some smaller primes on it.

Gordon

Nov 18, 2022 at 06:33 PM
JustShootMe
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

I also picked one up and own a pair of XH2's (or did, just sold 1) . I also don't notice a huge difference with the EVF when they are side by side. I like the size of the X-T5 more for small lenses , but mounting the 56 1.2 WR on the X-T5 feels very unblanced, It's familiar to me so I will likely use it more than the XH2 when I can use small lenses , it's the new every day carry camera. It feels smaller in the hand , but when you put both bodies side by side , they really aren't that different other than the controls. The most noticeable thing to me was the speed of transferring images to computer over USB-c of the XH2 over the X-T5 .. I guess it's the cfexpress card that makes the difference there.I haven't shot the animals running through the park yet , at that point I'm sure the difference in buffer will be apparent.

Nov 18, 2022 at 06:52 PM
liggy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

Picked my absolutely stunning silver X-T5 up today. Looks fantastic.

Will try doing something I think it won't be insanely great at with the 50-140 (shooting an open lapping day at a somewhat nearby racetrack)

I plan on doing some slow shutter speed panning and want to check out the automobile recognition function.

Will have my trusty Sony kit as well so it'll be interesting to see how they compare. The A1 doesn't have that kind of AI recognition but it just locks on and unerringly tracks - usually I'll aim for the helmet of the driver or a wheel.

Unsure if it was confirmation bias or not but I got keepers with the A1/70-200 GM and the X-T5 / 50-140 not so much.

Enabled subject recognition for Automobile, C-AF and it struggled. Not disappointed - was hopeful that it would be awesome but I had to try.

Edited on Nov 20, 2022 at 06:25 PM · View previous versions

Nov 18, 2022 at 09:52 PM
mehrdad sadat
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

Its amazing that u can pick up a 40meg camera at 1700? USD with Fuji lenses at this price category. FYI, fuji did make all the hasselblad h lenses and the entire x-span system.

Nov 19, 2022 at 02:58 AM
darwinphoto
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

I got mine. The size and weight reduction compared to the xt4 is very noticeable. The tilt screen is so much better than the flip out screen for my usage. So far I love it. I have only just started looking at image quality. Shot a test scene with my old 35 f/1.4 at f/4 and compared details at 100%. I saw a bit more detail from the xt5 but not a lot more. I am sure mu current set of lenses will perform at or above their current levels with the new camera.

Nov 20, 2022 at 01:28 PM
Nick Dakota
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

liggy wrote:
Picked my absolutely stunning silver X-T5 up today. Looks fantastic.

Will try doing something I think it won't be insanely great at with the 50-140 (shooting an open lapping day at a somewhat nearby racetrack)

I plan on doing some slow shutter speed panning and want to check out the automobile recognition function.

Will have my trusty Sony kit as well so it'll be interesting to see how they compare. The A1 doesn't have that kind of AI recognition but it just locks on and unerringly tracks - usually I'll aim for the helmet of the driver or a wheel.

Unsure if it
...Show more

I would hope a $9,300 set up outperformed a $3,150 set up.

Nov 20, 2022 at 08:15 PM
liggy
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

Nick Dakota wrote:
I would hope a $9,300 set up outperformed a $3,150 set up.

A boy can dreamÖ. I still prefer the X-Tx controls.

Didnít feel the X-H2S would be fun to shoot after trying it with the 150-600.
I shot at the same track last year with an A9II / Tamron 70-180 and got good results. Used that kit would be right around the same $ as the X-T5 50-140.

But sure - if the X-T5 was even in the same ballpark I would have been elated. Clearly not the mission for that body in my kit.

Edited on Nov 21, 2022 at 12:15 PM · View previous versions

Nov 21, 2022 at 01:39 AM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

My X-T5 was delivered Saturday, but with family and stuff and I just got to opening it this morning. It's definitely smaller compared to my X-T4, but still comfortable to hold (for me--I don't have large hands). I'm still charging it up, but definitely looking forward to taking it out later today to officially test it out. But definitely liking it thus far.

Only bad thing is I have to wait until someone releases an L-bracket for the camera since I typically have my camera mounted on a tripod.

Nov 21, 2022 at 11:52 AM
liggy
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

nburwell wrote:
My X-T5 was delivered Saturday, but with family and stuff and I just got to opening it this morning. It's definitely smaller compared to my X-T4, but still comfortable to hold (for me--I don't have large hands). I'm still charging it up, but definitely looking forward to taking it out later today to officially test it out. But definitely liking it thus far.

Only bad thing is I have to wait until someone releases an L-bracket for the camera since I typically have my camera mounted on a tripod.

Not planning on using it with a tripod all that often but if needed I will use this generic 3LT bracket.

Nov 21, 2022 at 12:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

wsheldon
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

nburwell wrote:

I'll be in the same boat when mine arrives. I'll try the Fuji grip for starters since it has an Arca plate base, but I'll definitely miss the L-piece for verticals.

But Smallrig already has one in the pipe (https://www.smallrigreseller.com/smallrig-l-bracket-for-fujifilm-x-t5-4137.html) and I'm sure others will soon.

Nov 21, 2022 at 04:16 PM
Richard-BB
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

For Fuji owners looking to upgrade from X-T3 as in my case the X-T5 size too small despite being fine for smaller lenses. Hopefully Fuji continues to sell X-T4 by extending production for some time. Not considering X-H2 with 40mp sensor. Reports Fuji 26mp sensor perfectly satisfactory for APS-C cameras. To some extent Fuji trying to please everyone. Where that leaves Fuji in the future a moot point. No doubt X-T5 will be a great sales success but they have confused some people like little old me.

Nov 21, 2022 at 05:00 PM
wsheldon
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

Richard-BB wrote:
For Fuji owners looking to upgrade from X-T3 as in my case the X-T5 size too small despite being fine for smaller lenses. Hopefully Fuji continues to sell X-T4 by extending production for some time. Not considering X-H2 with 40mp sensor. Reports Fuji 26mp sensor perfectly satisfactory for APS-C cameras. To some extent Fuji trying to please everyone. Where that leaves Fuji in the future a moot point. No doubt X-T5 will be a great sales success but they have confused some people like little old me.

With the proviso that I haven't received mine yet, the size difference from the X-T3 is actually quite small. According to Fuji's specs ~2mm narrower, ~2mm shorter, and ~5mm *increase* in depth with the larger grip. Pretty trivial changes but the marginally larger grip depth will be welcome to me coming from the X-T3. Definitely smaller than the X-T4 all around, though.

Nov 21, 2022 at 05:35 PM
photo325

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

I am also confused as to what they are playing at with this release. I have an XT-4 and just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on this camera.

Negatives
-- Expensive for what are relatively small upgrades
-- Noise Increase
-- Slower Processing Time (Larger Files)
-- Reduced Buffer
-- Loss of flip out screen and back to a more primitive design.
-- Old lenses will not provide the best results on a 40mp sensor.

Positive
-- 40mp sensor
-- Slight increase in detail

So for me I use my XT-4 for wildlife photography and macro shooting. However with the XT-5 it now apparently struggles with faster subjects not helped by the shorter equivilent buffer. The X-H2S is supposed to be faster but they have removed all the controls from the camera and put them in menus and touch screens which will feel odd and clumsy after the XT-4. So I am at a loss really.

It's almost like fuji releases a camera that is appealing only to those customers who didn't buy the last one. I.e in this case the XT-3 owners want to buy it but the XT-4 owners are not interested as it doesn't offer significant benefits. I guess we will have to wait until the next release.

Nov 21, 2022 at 06:50 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

Richard-BB wrote:

Have you handled the XT5 yet? From everything I read it his just a bit smaller than the XT4 and not that different from the XT3.

- - -

photo325 wrote:
I am also confused as to what they are playing at with this release. I have an XT-4 and just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on this camera.

Negatives
-- Noise Increase
-- Reduced Buffer

Positive
-- 40mp sensor

So for me I use my XT-4 for wildlife photography and macro shooting. However with the XT-5 it now apparently struggles with faster subjects
...Show more

I don't have the camera, though there's a possibility that it may eventually replace my XPro2. (I'm going to hold on and see if we get any rumors about a "XPro4" at some point.)

Regarding your points:

Negatives

For folks who have the XT4, I agree. These days it is very rare for the next camera in a series to be worthy of an upgrade from the immediate previous model. It usually makes more sense to skip at least one intermediate upgrade.

-- Noise Increase

From all actual reports, the noise has not increased on the new sensor. It is essentially the same as it was on the 26MP sensor. In addition, since pixels are smaller, the "grain size" of the noise will be smaller, making it potentially a bit less noticeable.

(Historically, every time higher MP sensors have been introduced there have been those anxiously proclaiming that "noise will get worse!" Yet... over the development of digital cameras, as I've personally moved from sub-1MP cameras to 50+MP cameras... noise has consistently gotten BETTER, not worse.)

Perhaps somewhat true, but not likely to be an issue for anyone whose computer isn't already groaning under the strain of 26MP files. The difference in processing time is not likely to even be noticeable.

-- Reduced Buffer

Not sure about this. I heard that the XT5 will do something like 20+ frames in raw before the buffer fills and almost 200 in jpg. Is that not enough? If not, then you are probably a candidate for the larger XH2 line.

Heh.

That's a matter of taste. (And I think calling the three-way screen of the XT5 primitive may be a bit overdoing it! If you really like the side-hinge screen that flips around into selfie mode... well, the XT 5 doesn't have that. It tilts up and it tilts down, and it can also tilt "sideways" for use in vertical mode on L-brackets, etc.

(Lots of people think that the new screen is a better choice, so let's just call that a subjective issue.)

In the worst case, a lens will always produce better results on a higher MP sensor, though the improvement may be so minor that you won't really notice it. In addition to more accurately imaging whatever any lens projects on this sensor, it also has the potential to produce smoother gradients.

With better lenses, including quite a few of the "old lenses," the 40MP sensor can record more details.

A more interesting question is whether or not the photographer uses the files in such a way that the difference is meaningful. One rough rule of thumb ó†subject to some debate ó†is that a meaningful increase in pixel count is when it is about 2x your existing camera. So the increase from 26MP to 40 MP makes a difference, but probably not as great of one as some might imagine.

Bottom line: As a satisfied XT4 user, there's probably no reason for you to upgrade at this point. The 26MP sensor is quite good, and if you aren't finding it deficient in ways that would be improved with the 40MP sensor, there's no reason for you to upgrade. You can save your money! :-)

Edited on Nov 21, 2022 at 07:18 PM · View previous versions

Nov 21, 2022 at 07:01 PM
liggy
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

photo325 wrote:

Negatives
-- Noise Increase
-- Reduced Buffer

Positive
-- 40mp sensor

So for me I use my XT-4 for wildlife photography and macro shooting. However with the XT-5 it now apparently struggles with faster subjects
...Show more

Well... I skipped the X-T3, X-T4, X-H2 and H2S and pulled the trigger on the X-T5 because I value the full on dial control layout, the non-selfie screen and at least the improved but not best in class AF. I would have preferred an X-T5S with the 26mp stacked sensor but I don't get the feeling it is coming any time soon. Having the extra resolution is nice. Good for croppability. Size wise - it is almost exactly the same as my X-T2 but with a deeper grip. I like it as I intend to use it with the small but full of character XF primes regardless of whether or not they deliver the nth degree of resolving power.

When casually shooting but wanting better than iPhone quality shots I can just use the outstanding film simulation jpegs and not have to worry about post.

The noise factor isn't a big deal to me anymore with Topaz DeNoise/ PhotoAI now. I'll use Sony for anything that moves or requires reach as the 150-600 is just too slow of a lens to get me excited about it after trying one.

In short - they made it for folks like me.

Nov 21, 2022 at 07:10 PM
photo325

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

"I would have preferred an X-T5S" - Yep that would have been great.

"The noise factor isn't a big deal to me anymore with Topaz DeNoise" - Yes that is excellent along with Topaz AiSharpen very impressed with them. I also use Iridient X-Transformer which I assume will work well with your XT-5 files.

"In short - they made it for folks like me." - I am glad you go out there and enjoy it

Nov 21, 2022 at 07:40 PM
cdgerston
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

Iíve had the X-T5 for a few days now, and have shot two soccer games with it, including a night game. Iíve also shot with it some around the neighborhood over the weekend, and lots of family shots. Iím delighted with it. For me itís an upgrade in every way from the X-T3. If itís smallerÖmaybe a little? The grip is nicer (Iíve had no problem using it with the 70-300 and the 50-140.)

Iím also pleased as punch with the improvements to the AF for soccer. Iíve probably shot over 200 soccer games with multiple Fuji cameras over the years (but not with the X-H2s, so canít compare the prowess of that beast yet), and all I can say is this AF is quite improved over the X-T3 for me. Much stickier and so much faster to grab focus. I didnít care so much about the 40MP when considering purchasing, but Iíve appreciated the extra ďreachĒ itís afforded me with the ability to crop and still have excellent ~20MP action shots.

Mini good-natured rant:
Someone commented earlier that he heard the X-T5 ďapparently struggles with faster subjects.Ē Huh. Not my experience this weekend. As usual in photo forums, I would take everything you hear with a grain of salt (including my comments of course) and try for yourself. The AF for me has been a treat so far. (This is where someone will chime in and say Sony/Nikon/Canon has better AF. Thatís probably true! Who cares? Iím comparing Fuji upgrades on a Fuji forum, and I donít have money to buy multiple brands to argue on forums. Letís just say theyíre better and move on.) I can, and did, shoot hundreds of shots at a soccer game, at night, with very few misses with the X-T5 is what Iím saying. That made me happy. (Settings: Zone focus, AF-C Custom Set 2)
Mini good-natured rant over.

Noise feels about the same as the X-T3 when pixel peeping, but of course, at 40MP, when reduced for print or screen, is actually turning out to be better to my eye, so no issue for me there.

So, the OP asked for user reportsÖIím a happy new user of the X-T5. Nice upgrade.

Is there something I donít like? I guess, if I could design my dream Fuji, the grip would be a little bigger even. I do like the X-H and X-S grips. And throw that higher res viewfinder in there too. But, as we all know, we never get everything we want. So, no, Iím pleased with the compromises and features that became X-T5. And for me, I donít do any video at all, the less video-centric the better, so the three way LCD is my preference. Overall, the smaller body, the analog dials, the cheaper price on X-T5 is a better camera for me than the X-H2 or H2s. Iím glad Fuji has made the distinctions between the lines of cameras.

Nov 21, 2022 at 10:46 PM
Richard-BB
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

That just about nails it for me to buy new chunky X-T4 with IBIS to replace my no-frills X-T3. My X-T2 made in Japan more sturdy than X-T3. To check-out X-T4 if made closer to X-T2 standards. X-T4 currently on sale at 1.800 euros compared to X-T3 at 1.500 euros in 2019. New X-T5 price at 2.000 euros not exactly a bargain. Fuji making a big splash; with prices to match.

Nov 22, 2022 at 01:36 AM
Lumens1
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What are new owners of the X-T5 thoughts about the camera?

My XT-5 showed up late yesterday so I've only had a chance to setup the settings as I like. I have loved my XT-3 the last few years - it was pre-ordered and has been to me the perfect camera for a long time now. The XT-4 just struck me as a hybridized XT-3 with nothing but video improvements. The XT-3 though, being the perfect camera, was beginning to get behind the curve in technology.

Opening the box yesterday I was surprised at how similar the XT-5 is to the XT-3. Actually I should have bought the silver so I could tell the difference between the two. All the knobs are the same and size is close. I have small hands so the grip makes no difference to me, although the XT-5 is a little nicer for me. There will be NO Learning curve or adjustments to be made in using my new camera.

I did pop out the XF 16-55 while setting my menu options as desired. I normally never use it due to the lack of stabilization but I've seen it mentioned with the XT-5 quite a bit so I thought I'd give it a try. The IBIS REALLY nakes a difference. I think the 16-80 may be sitting on the shelf a little bit more. Handheld the detail & sharpness with the 16-55 is incredible. I'm really looking forward to getting my XT-5 out in the next few days.

Nov 22, 2022 at 08:01 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password