New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Why not Amazon?

tmoseley1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why not Amazon?

I see a lot of folks saying donít buy camera gear from Amazon. Can someone explain why? Iíve never had issues with Amazon.

Nov 16, 2022 at 06:53 PM
fotografur
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why not Amazon?

Packaging stinks. It's hit and miss. And sometimes you get used gear.

Nov 16, 2022 at 06:54 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why not Amazon?

So many times buying from Amazon I've been shipped random stuff. I'll try to buy an LTM -M adapter, I get sent some random different camera mount adapter. Happened three times in a row - they just changed the sticker on the box to show LTM!.

Bought other stuff that literally was crushed, and to return it the seller said needed to be in resaleable shape!

But.. this has been from indie sellers on AMZ.

I've also had good experiences, which were more, but those above were the bad.

I'd never buy a big ticket item from there. I'd prefer to go straight to some store I know. But that's me.

Nov 16, 2022 at 07:08 PM
johnvanr
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why not Amazon?

Unless you know the seller, like Adorama, you really have no clue where the stuff comes from. Amazon third parties is completely unreliable. Fine for small stuff. Very tricky for stuff like fragrances and fountain pens (fakes). So, something to stay away from for expensive gear.

Thatís without the shipping issues others refer to.

Nov 16, 2022 at 07:20 PM
gaopa
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why not Amazon?

For my Fuji gear, I will stick with B&H. I have been their customer for around 30 yrs and have never had a complaint. I recommend B&H highly.

Nov 16, 2022 at 07:30 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why not Amazon?

fotografur wrote:
...And sometimes you get used gear.

And sometimes you get a rock

Amazon simply does not inspect returned goods before turning them around to sell as new. Unscrupulous buyers will return a high-dollar camera but put an older camera back in the box. Or in the case of lens filters, buyers will replace the real filter with a fake copy. Happens ALL THE TIME. I once tried buying a Breakthrough filter from their official store on Amazon Ė I received a FAKE.

I don't even buy through B&H or Adorama for big ticket items. I won't abide their suspect credit card traps to avoid tax. Better to buy from small shops in another state and avoid state sales tax completely.

To the OP:

Just avoid Amazon. It's like asking why you shouldn't walk through a bad neighborhood late at night even though it's a shortcut home.

Nov 16, 2022 at 09:24 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why not Amazon?

Simply not worth the risk for all the reasons above.

Nov 16, 2022 at 09:56 PM
tmoseley1

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why not Amazon?

Thanks, All! Iíve never experienced any of that, and will be wary.

Nov 17, 2022 at 07:24 AM
Rand47
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why not Amazon?

My ďlastĒ (as in Iíll never buy expensive photo gear from Amazon again) purchase was a Fuji lens that arrived w/ no packaging at all. Just a label slapped on the Fuji box and dumped on my porch. Nice big dent in the corner of the box. No bueno.

Rand

Nov 17, 2022 at 08:16 AM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Why not Amazon?

Like others mentioned, if you can, I would stay away from ordering camera gear from Amazon. I ordered a lens from them and they shipped it to me in just the lens box with the shipping label slapped on. Fortunately everything was good with the lens, but still.

Nov 17, 2022 at 10:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Why not Amazon?

Rand47 wrote:
My ďlastĒ (as in Iíll never buy expensive photo gear from Amazon again) purchase was a Fuji lens that arrived w/ no packaging at all. Just a label slapped on the Fuji box and dumped on my porch. Nice big dent in the corner of the box. No bueno.

Rand

Yikes. I hope you sent it back. I only buy unbreakable things from Amazon these days, and I've never bought photo gear from them.

Nov 17, 2022 at 10:36 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Why not Amazon?

fotografur wrote:
Packaging stinks. It's hit and miss. And sometimes you get used gear.

I heard sometime you get no gear, just empty boxes. No personal experience like that but I have never bought any camera or lens from Amazon.

Nov 17, 2022 at 12:32 PM
brycemilton

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Why not Amazon?

All of the above, plus the fact that the company's primary shareholder is a bonafide Bond villain who is perfectly happy to hand out lay-off notices to tens of thousands of his employees for a Christmas present after pocketing zillions during the pandemic...

Edited on Nov 22, 2022 at 01:17 AM · View previous versions

Nov 17, 2022 at 02:40 PM
darwinphoto
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Why not Amazon?

I pre-ordered an XT5 on day 1 from Amazon. Shipping was supposed to start Thurs and by Friday I still haven't received ship notice from them. Found a camera at a local dealer and cancelled the Amazon order. My new camera is ready for me to pickup.

Nov 18, 2022 at 02:18 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Why not Amazon?

I've bought lenses and cameras from Amazon and I've never had a problem. Keep in mind you will mostly only hear from people with bad experiences since they will be motivated to air out their grievances online. It doesn't account for the thousands of people who have received their gear without drama. We order stuff from Amazon almost daily at work and never had a single issue. You rarely hear anything from satisfied buyers.

I have a Fuji 16-55 and 23 f2 lenses on the way from Amazon. I will report back how they deliver it. I hope I didn't jinx it

Nov 18, 2022 at 05:05 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Why not Amazon?

Ok I just checked my home cameras and there appears to be 2 boxes on the front yard. Unfortunately, both my cams were pointing somewhere so they weren't able to record how the boxes were delivered. I hope they didn't toss them

Edited on Nov 18, 2022 at 06:20 PM · View previous versions

Nov 18, 2022 at 05:16 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Why not Amazon?

I'd rather buy from a knowledgeable shop.

Nov 18, 2022 at 05:17 PM
Lumens1
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Why not Amazon?

I live in a Condo complex. Amazon delivers to the wrong Condo quite often. I don't make any orders to Amazon over $50 just in case. So far the items have made it to me, but still I just don't trust them.

Nov 18, 2022 at 07:10 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Why not Amazon?

Ok here's the 23 f/2 lens. The package came in an UNPADDED envelope. Yes, unpadded. No foam, no bubbly envelope. Just thick paper envelope carrying the Fuji box inside with no other protection. Fortunately the lens is as light as a feather, and the Fuji box is well padded inside. Lens tested fine and is free of defects. Packaging grade: F

Nov 21, 2022 at 07:30 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Why not Amazon?

Here is the 16-55 2.8 lens. Amazon used a big box for this one BUT the content is rattling inside. I could tell instantly that they didn't use much (if any) padding.

Unboxing reveals a lens box, plus 3 pieces of air padding Hey at least they actually bothered to put something, even though the 3 pcs of padding were totally useless! The content still rattled like a spray can.

Opening the lens box reveals a lens with... tons of padding! Tons and tons of bubble wrap ensured the lens didn't move. Gotta be honest, this is somewhat a good job by Amazon, but only where the actual lens is. The packaging on the outer box is still shite.

I thoroughly tested the lens and it passed all the necessary tests. No decentering, AF is fast and focusing is smooth. Very sharp with amazing clarity.

Also, I am shocked at how small and light this lens is. Keep in mind that I'm coming from Nikon 24-70 VR which is 2.5 lbs! The Fuji 16-55 2.8 is like a pancake to me

Packaging Grade: C- Avoid if possible. For some reason their lens packaging has been circling the toilet lately. That said, if you really need the gear ASAP, Amazon Prime is awesome and they usually deliver the next day for free. Overnight shipping from other retailers cost about $50. The lenses I bought were marked "used" by Amazon and were heavily discounted, but after inspection, they look like brand new. Score, but with a risk.

Will I order from them again? For low $ item like Fuji, yes. But high $$$ items like Leica? Nope.

Edited on Nov 28, 2022 at 07:14 PM · View previous versions

Nov 21, 2022 at 07:56 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password