New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

XF 30mm f2.8 R LM WR Macro

pfoiles
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · XF 30mm f2.8 R LM WR Macro

Wasn't expecting this until the 17th but it showed up today. Overall very much in line with Fujis other recent lens releases. Mechanically much like a chron on steroids. Its cold and rainy today so very little actual use but it does seem to have very good IQ perhaps a tad weak on the edges wide open but I need to do more shooting to properly assess. The most interesting feature thing to me is the name etched on the outside of the filter ring "FUJINON ASPHERICAL LENS SUPER EBC XF 30mm 1:2.8 R LM WR MACRO O43" Nearly takes up the entire circumference of the lens.

A quick sample photo of a figurine on my desk. It illustrates an issue with the macro feature of the lens that is that the working distance gets very small as you approach closest focus so properly lighting the subject gets to be a challenge. Not uncommon for normal range macros but something to keep in mind.

X-H2    XF30mmF2.8 R LM WR Macro lens    30mm    f/8.0    1/60s    125 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 15, 2022 at 04:08 PM
gabe212

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · XF 30mm f2.8 R LM WR Macro

can't decide if I want to buy this lens or the 18mm 1.4 to accompany the 56 wr

Nov 16, 2022 at 04:52 PM
pfoiles
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · XF 30mm f2.8 R LM WR Macro

A few more examples on an overcast day. All processed to taste from raw in C1/22.

Nov 16, 2022 at 09:04 PM
pfoiles
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · XF 30mm f2.8 R LM WR Macro

gabe212 wrote:

In terms of angle of view the 30mm would be exactly midway between the 18 and 56 and that would make a nice trio. If you want a pair I would personally use a 23/56 combo. I anticipate using this lens with the Viltrox 13 and the Fuji 56 WR.

Nov 16, 2022 at 09:14 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · XF 30mm f2.8 R LM WR Macro

gabe212 wrote:

That's a real apples-to-oranges question! Those are extremely different lenses with quite different features and use cases.

I'd be asking myself if either, by itself, is really going to be the only other lens I'll need. If the answer is, "No, if I get either of these I'll likely end up buying another lens soon to fill out what I need..." then I'd think about about how each lens fits into a larger scheme.

One thing that should be obvious - the excellent 30mm macro probably really only makes sense if you do a lot of fairly serious macro photography. If you are looking for a small, high performance lens for other things and you like larger apertures (thinking you do, given that you got the large aperture 56mm) there are other options that might make more sense around 30mm. (And you cold always stick a "diopter" close-up lens on it for occasional use.)

Nov 17, 2022 at 10:51 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password