New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Taking the leap - need some quick advice

Dustoff06
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Taking the leap - need some quick advice

About ready to pull the trigger on the 100S and need some thoughts on lenses. I currently shoot Fine Art for giclee printing and a fair amount of studio portraits, some for album covers. All in a controlled environment using Profoto gear. My Nikon Z7 with the Nikkor 50mm f1.2 does a nice job, but I need to kick up my game with the advantages of medium format.

So, my question is which lens would you recommend as my first purchase. I'm down to the GF80mm f1.7 or the GF110 f2.0. Given the crop factor, I'm leaning towards the GF80. Probably can adapt to either lens, but is there a clear choice that I'm not seeing? Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jim

Nov 15, 2022 at 05:10 AM
kenbennett
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Taking the leap - need some quick advice

The 80mm is a slightly long "normal" lens. If you like the 50mm on your Nikon, this is probably your best choice. The 110/2 is equivalent to an 85mm on your Nikon. I prefer it for portraits because I like a little extra working distance.

Have you considered the 45-100mm f/4 zoom? It's excellent and covers a very useful range for studio portraiture. It's also on sale right now, along with the 100s.

Nov 15, 2022 at 08:15 AM
Rand47
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Taking the leap - need some quick advice

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4564046

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4563557

Chris Dodkin does a very good job comparing the two lenses.

Rand

Nov 15, 2022 at 11:17 AM
cbreiland
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Taking the leap - need some quick advice

As a walk around lens, the 80 is generally a more versatile FL, and not having the floating element eases my mind a lot.

Nov 15, 2022 at 09:58 PM
Dustoff06
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Taking the leap - need some quick advice

Thanks for suggesting the 45-100. Spent an hour or so researching reviews and it seems to be another option worth considering.

Nov 16, 2022 at 08:17 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Taking the leap - need some quick advice

45-100 good if inside studio. Outdoors I would take 80mm or the 110mm over it. All depends on your shooting space. I typically like longer lenses and this 80mm f1.7 was my first serious try with somewhat shorter focal length and so far my 110mm is sitting at home. I don't shoot charts etc and don't go look for loCa.

Nov 16, 2022 at 10:42 AM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Taking the leap - need some quick advice

Dustoff06 wrote:
Thanks for suggesting the 45-100. Spent an hour or so researching reviews and it seems to be another option worth considering.

Great now you have 3 to choose from . I agree if your 50 made you happy on your Nikon go with the 80.

Food for thought.

Nov 16, 2022 at 02:22 PM
Nick Dakota
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Taking the leap - need some quick advice

I've had both. I liked the way the 80mm rendered out of the two. The biggest difference I saw was focus speed. The 110 has Linear Motors, the 80 does not.

Nov 20, 2022 at 09:22 PM
Dustoff06
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Taking the leap - need some quick advice

Thanks everyone for the input. Seems like the 80 is the direction I'll go for my 'first' GF lens, although I can't go wrong with either.

Nov 23, 2022 at 07:11 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Taking the leap - need some quick advice

Dustoff06 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the input. Seems like the 80 is the direction I'll go for my 'first' GF lens, although I can't go wrong with either.

There are no "bad" choices in the GF lens system.

Nov 23, 2022 at 05:45 PM
Nick Dakota
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Taking the leap - need some quick advice

Dustoff06 wrote:

There's a nicely priced 80mm on B&S right now.

Nov 24, 2022 at 01:52 AM
Sauseschritt
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Taking the leap - need some quick advice

molson wrote:
There are no "bad" choices in the GF lens system.

Oh except there are. Just because its on a very high level overall doesnt mean there arent still differences between the lenses. And if you pay this kind of money, you sort of want to avoid the underperformers.

Nov 24, 2022 at 02:48 AM
Makten
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Taking the leap - need some quick advice

A bad choice can be made even with a good lens. For example, I got the 110/2 only to find out (I already knew) that I don't have any use for that focal length. That was a bad choice.

Nov 24, 2022 at 02:50 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Taking the leap - need some quick advice

You might find yourself using lenses on the GFX that are not the exact equivalent of your Nikon lenses, depending on your subject matter. You might find that you use a slightly shorter equivalent lens. If you don't need the wide aperture from your Nikon lens, then the 45-100 is quite a fine lens. And if you're okay with even a slower lens at f/5.6, the 100-200 is sharp wide open and a great lens in and out of the studio. Then the aforementioned 80mm and 110 Fuji lenses are both going to be very good. You have a lot of choices without even looking at all of the third party and 35mm lenses that work well with the system. I find the best solution is a mix of native GF lenses and adapted Canon, Sigma and Contax lenses, among others. A real outstanding standout is the Sigma 135mm f/1.8 ART, which works extraordinarily well with full sensor coverage and bitingly sharp even wide open and with AF that works amazingly well with a Fringer adapter.

Nov 24, 2022 at 04:29 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Taking the leap - need some quick advice

Sauseschritt wrote:
Oh except there are. Just because its on a very high level overall doesnt mean there arent still differences between the lenses. And if you pay this kind of money, you sort of want to avoid the underperformers.

I've owned all of them except the 110mm f2 and the new 35-70mm f4-5.6, so I assume it's one of these two lenses you're referring to?

Nov 24, 2022 at 09:53 AM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Taking the leap - need some quick advice

molson wrote:
I've owned all of them except the 110mm f2 and the new 35-70mm f4-5.6, so I assume it's one of these two lenses you're referring to?

Agreed. With the GFX I think there is excellent and fabulous to choose from. For example my 45-100 is slightly sharper than my 32-64. But that wouldn’t stop me using the 32-64 if I wanted the smaller lens for the day. It’s still excellent. Same with the 45 vs the 50 or 63.

In any system there is a variation in lens performance. With the GFX that spread is quite small.

Gordon

p.s. Personally I think the 110 is the most *special* of the GFX glass. It’s also the one I use the least.

Nov 24, 2022 at 03:41 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.