New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Buyer followthrough, or lack of it

dshombert
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Buyer followthrough, or lack of it

This has probably been discussed earlier, here or elsewhere, but I'm unable to find it. I've just had the experience of someone sending me a PM about a piece of gear I had advertised saying - a direct quote - "I'll take it". I sent him my payment info and told him I'd hold it for 24 hours pending his payment. Never heard from him again. Not a problem, someone else bought the gear, but this is about the third or fourth time this has happened (different person each time). So it's annoying enough that I'd like to find some way to head it off. About all I can come up with is to state, in the ad, that unless you're someone who I've dealt with successfully in the past OR you're someone with at least dozens of positive feedbacks, you MUST Reply to the ad that you've send me a PM. I won't acknowledge your PM to me until you post that Reply. After you do, I'll send you my PP address and give you 24 hours (or some other amount of time) to make payment. If I never hear from you again, I'll use your tag PM to leave negative feedback.

This seems kind of Draconian to me, and I'd rather not do it if there's some other choice. Any suggestions?

Nov 14, 2022 at 04:24 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Buyer followthrough, or lack of it

dshombert wrote:
This has probably been discussed earlier, here or elsewhere, but I'm unable to find it. I've just had the experience of someone sending me a PM about a piece of gear I had advertised saying - a direct quote - "I'll take it". I sent him my payment info and told him I'd hold it for 24 hours pending his payment. Never heard from him again. Not a problem, someone else bought the gear, but this is about the third or fourth time this has happened (different person each time). So it's annoying enough that I'd like to find some
...Show more

It happens to many of us, and as frustrating as it may be, I would suggest just moving on like you did. Leaving negative feedback might feel justified, but Fred’s rules state that feedback is supposed to be left for completed transactions only. I’m only speculating, but part of the reasoning for that might be to avoid punitive use of feedback ratings as a way of penalizing members for things like poor marketplace etiquette.

Nov 14, 2022 at 05:02 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Buyer followthrough, or lack of it

I agree with mitesh. It's part of the landscape. And, feedback is for completed transactions. Just add buddy to your no-way list, and keep on keeping on.

Nov 14, 2022 at 06:00 PM
dshombert
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Buyer followthrough, or lack of it

Yeah - you guys are right. I see that. Thanks for the input.

Nov 14, 2022 at 10:15 PM
DenverSteve

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Buyer followthrough, or lack of it

Dealing with humans is messy. I deal with it by good communication. If the person isn't forthcoming with payment, I move on. First to pay gets the item. No holds. To me, one shouldn't bother a seller unless one is ready/willing to purchase. Remember that some people might want something but get nixed when the significant other says, "... no...". Likewise, when I purchase, I pay immediately - therefore I expect the seller to respond accordingly and be ready to ship immediately. I paid you, now ship the item.

Jan 06, 2023 at 02:11 AM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Buyer followthrough, or lack of it

Offering to "hold" something can be frustrating. I only consider an item sold when I receive payment. If you offer to wait 24 hours then you've made that waiting period part of the transaction. You offered to wait and you did. No payment = no transaction. Move on.

If you don't want delays or ambiguity just state in your item listing that payment is required within a shorter time. Lacking an actual checkout system it is technically impossible to ask for "immediate" payment. There's always some back and forth chat to exchange info. It's not like eBay where someone can push a "buy" button. You have to deal with some fuzziness and delays selling here just by the nature of the asynchronous communications.

There are good reasons why the B&S rules limit feedback to "finalized" transactions.

Jan 12, 2023 at 11:45 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Buyer followthrough, or lack of it

Do these folks ghosting have a lot of positive feedback?

Jan 16, 2023 at 04:40 PM
anguyenre

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Buyer followthrough, or lack of it

As a buyer, I've experienced the same with many Sellers... People are just fickle that way.

Also if the buyer is a new account, maybe they could not respond to your PM yet?

Jan 16, 2023 at 11:25 PM
selski
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Buyer followthrough, or lack of it

Ive always fretted this as a seller here, but first things I do is send a reply back to their PM's asking if they are really ready to send payment before I give out any payment email info.

Ill see how fast they respond to it, and kind of gives me a guide on how much time I give them to send payment. They should be getting notifications I think as default to their email, maybe im wrong.

But, if I receive many PM's regarding the item, I usually tell I have to move quickly because Im going in the order of PM's received.

I usually don't do it this way, but if using Paypal, wouldn't sending them an invoice allow you some control on the waiting, since you can cancel the request when you feel like it?

Jan 20, 2023 at 02:41 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.