New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2022 · New Rig, Fresh Start ...

mcbroomf
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New Rig, Fresh Start ...

schlotz wrote:
I recently ventured into using a NAS for the first time. Knowing that access speed can be an issue, I spent a lot of time researching options. Went with QNAP specifically because it offered direct connection to my MBP M1 via Thunderbolt 3. Turned out to be a good choice. The 5G stress setting using BlackMagic's Disk Speed Test on a NAS share via TB3 yielded approx 1990 MB/s read & over 540 MB/s write, and this is without any supporting NVMe cacheing. Issue right now the latest ver of LR has an acknowledged bug where attempting to back up
...Show more

Matt, which QNAP did you get, and which HDs?

I'm currently using 2 NAS boxes from Synology but have had 2 power supplies die (not uncommon from a Google search). They have been great though, both times the box was switched out immediately, the 1st they extended my warranty, the 2nd time was done out of warranty. No issue with the Raid 5 drive volume after plugging drives into the replacement boxes (both refurbs).

Nevertheless when I think the drives in that box are long in tooth I will look at replacing it (rather than just the drives).

Thanks

Mike

Nov 14, 2022 at 11:43 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New Rig, Fresh Start ...

Hey Mike,

Using a QNAP 672XT with Seagate IronWolf 8TB drives. My office equipment connects to one of two UPS's which in turn are routed through a power conditioner from Tripp Lite that is plugged into the wall. Everybody gets conditioned power vs direct from the grid. Critical pieces are on the backup side of the UPS's.

Nov 14, 2022 at 12:50 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New Rig, Fresh Start ...

Darn that looks good. Great reviews as well, I just watched Gordon Lang's for the 472XT on Camera Labs. I can see a 672 or 872 replacing the 5 drive NAS at some point (that's the older one with 2 PS fails).

I don't have conditioners but everything is on UPS (also 2) as is my printer on a 3rd one upstairs. I lose power regularly but my gen kicks in after 30 secs or so.

Thanks

Nov 14, 2022 at 02:18 PM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.