New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · “New” Mac Studio Ultra what to test

SejalPatelMU
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · “New” Mac Studio Ultra what to test

Hi All,

Quick question, I just purchased an Apple Certified Refurbished Mac Studio Ultra (64 core GPU, 128GB RAM and 2TB SSD). The refurbished was in stock and I will pick it up on Tuesday 11-15-22, the NEW wouldn’t be ready until Dec 12 or so. I have bought several MacBooks and iPads certified, but my iMac 5K (which the studio is replacing) I bought new. I know Apple tests their machines through the refurb process, but are there some test I should run when I get it to make sure everything is ok? I got AppleCare on it as well. But any suggestions would be great. I do no video editing at all, strictly photography. So, I have no video editing programs that all the testers show (FinalCut, DaVinci Resolves, AfterEffects, Premier, etc). When I shot video it’s to record my son’s orchestra auditions and I use iMovie to edit the footage from my R5 :-) I have Canon 5DSr raw files and R5 raw files to test. I do use Topaz DeNoise, Sharpen, GigaPixel and Photoshop. I will connect my Eizo CS2740 (4K) and I am also thinking of getting an Eizo 2K (any suggestions would be great) as my print eval monitor.

Thanks.

Sejal

Nov 11, 2022 at 01:13 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · “New” Mac Studio Ultra what to test

I don't know a generic method.

why don't you run a geekbench. It tests all and gives you a rating.
If its on track with similar - thats good
If it does not cause a kernel panic - thats good
https://browser.geekbench.com/mac-benchmarks

Then connect to tb or usb connects to something and check to see if they show up

Go into left top apple and hit system report to see if it matches up with the ram, tb ports, USB ports, you bought etc. TB ports should show up as 40gb/s.

Try also black magic test on your hd - if no panic and reasonable speed - thats good. 2TBSSD should work >3,000 mb/s.

Then build a catalog on it in LR and import a really big set of photo's and watch it work. [Export raws to tiff in a batch] Delete later.
Then build an iMovie and import it into it [get it to render a big file]- delete later [video rendering is taxing to the computer]

If it does all this without surprises - it should be good.

Edited on Nov 11, 2022 at 02:07 PM · View previous versions

Nov 11, 2022 at 01:30 PM
eyal
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · “New” Mac Studio Ultra what to test

I've found the one thing that taxes my M1 Pro MacBook is exporting from Lightroom and particularly to Flickr so if do that and watch Activity Monitor you should get a sense of the CPU at least.

Nov 11, 2022 at 01:39 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · “New” Mac Studio Ultra what to test

eyal wrote:
I've found the one thing that taxes my M1 Pro MacBook is exporting from Lightroom and particularly to Flickr so if do that and watch Activity Monitor you should get a sense of the CPU at least.

Thats a good thing to add to the above (exporting from LR) . However it may be that exporting to Flickr (not the computer) is really limited by your internet and Flickr, not of your CPU. And the performance will vary by the size of the files you are exporting. You will have to be familiar with what you were getting before. The studio should be 1/3 faster for single core and lots more faster for multiple core. So be careful with conclusions.

It might be better to export in a different format raw to tiff on your ssd as a good test. And bring up activity monitor (in applictions/ utilities/ activity monitor)and watch ram, virtual ram, number of cores and disk to see what it is doing.

As well, I use Photomatix batch a lot and on my iMac 5k 2017 64gb, Photomatix takes about 1.5minutes per set of 3 45mpx R5 to process. Yours should deliver about 1 minute or better - that would also be a good test.

I would also go to utilities and run the disk utility and do a check on the ssd before I did any of the above.

Edited on Nov 11, 2022 at 02:05 PM · View previous versions

Nov 11, 2022 at 01:50 PM
eyal
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · “New” Mac Studio Ultra what to test

You're right and it may just be the settings for Flickr that do it. Internet is fast but exporting to Flickr or Smugmug pegs CPU at 700% I think.

Nov 11, 2022 at 01:56 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · “New” Mac Studio Ultra what to test

SejalPatelMU wrote:
Hi All,

Quick question, I just purchased an Apple Certified Refurbished Mac Studio Ultra (64 core GPU, 128GB RAM and 2TB SSD). The refurbished was in stock and I will pick it up on Tuesday 11-15-22, the NEW wouldn’t be ready until Dec 12 or so. I have bought several MacBooks and iPads certified, but my iMac 5K (which the studio is replacing) I bought new. I know Apple tests their machines through the refurb process, but are there some test I should run when I get it to make sure everything is ok? I got AppleCare on it as
...Show more

Are you concerned something might be wrong with your refurbished unit and want to run some tests to verify all works ok, or do you want to test the performance of your system? If the later seems a little late since you already purchased the unit.

I believe Apple provides a 1 year warranty so you should be covered if something is wrong with the unit.

Nov 11, 2022 at 02:23 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · “New” Mac Studio Ultra what to test

BTW - SejalPatelMU - I am curious:
where did you get it - Apple OWC? - [I guess if its apple certified it came from apple?]
what was the discount ? [$250 on max and $500 on ultra is what I see on apple] As compared to apple guarantee purchase?[ looked it up $210/3 years]
And when you are finished testing - how did it go. Is it noticeably faster?

I am tempted to buy studio but apple would not let me try loading up a program and trying it on Photomatix to make sure its going to be more than 25% better to justify abandoning my 5k iMac monitor.

5% off, if numbers above are right, is not enough to get me over the resistance. And almost all eaten up by the 3 year that I don't normally get. I would skip the 3 year warranty - it usually if it is going to fail its in the first month. I still need to benchmark - the performance gain might get me there.

Nov 11, 2022 at 02:25 PM
SejalPatelMU
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · “New” Mac Studio Ultra what to test

Scott Stoness wrote:
I don't know a generic method.

why don't you run a geekbench. It tests all and gives you a rating.
If its on track with similar - thats good
If it does not cause a kernel panic - thats good
https://browser.geekbench.com/mac-benchmarks

Then connect to tb or usb connects to something and check to see if they show up

Go into left top apple and hit system report to see if it matches up with the ram, tb ports, USB ports, you bought etc. TB ports should show up as 40gb/s.

Try also black magic test on your hd - if no panic and reasonable speed -
...Show more

Scott,
Thank you for the tips, I will do all of that, The LR catalog build is a great idea!.
Sejal

Nov 11, 2022 at 03:03 PM
SejalPatelMU
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · “New” Mac Studio Ultra what to test

eyal wrote:

eyal,

I do not have a flickr account but I will export from LR to tiff and jpg.

Sejal

Nov 11, 2022 at 03:04 PM
SejalPatelMU
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · “New” Mac Studio Ultra what to test

chez wrote:
Are you concerned something might be wrong with your refurbished unit and want to run some tests to verify all works ok, or do you want to test the performance of your system? If the later seems a little late since you already purchased the unit.

I believe Apple provides a 1 year warranty so you should be covered if something is wrong with the unit.

Chez,

I just want to make sure everything is OK. It is from Apple so I am not too worried, and you are right I have a 1 year warranty and the AppleCare +. But I just want to make sure everything is OK. After the pandemic every company's Quality Assurance has taken a huge hit due to staffing and other shortages. I just wanted my own peace of mind.

Sejal

Nov 11, 2022 at 03:07 PM
SejalPatelMU
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · “New” Mac Studio Ultra what to test

Scott Stoness wrote:
BTW - SejalPatelMU - I am curious:
where did you get it - Apple OWC? - [I guess if its apple certified it came from apple?]
what was the discount ? [$250 on max and $500 on ultra is what I see on apple] As compared to apple guarantee purchase?[ looked it up $210/3 years]
And when you are finished testing - how did it go. Is it noticeably faster?

I am tempted to buy studio but apple would not let me try loading up a program and trying it on Photomatix to make sure its going to be more than 25% better
...Show more

Scott,

I got it on the Apple website under refurbished. I paid $5579 for it from their website. Does Photomatix have a free version, I don't mind trying some tests for you? I pick it up on Tuesday 11/15, so I won't be able to test it until Friday/Saturday 11/18/22 or 11/19/22.

My original setup was iMac 5k i9 with 128GB RAM and to the right was my Eizo. But I kept forgetting to look to my right as I edited my photos and would keep staring at the 5K :-)

I wasn't going to get this but it was my anniversary present from my wife (20 years :-) ). She got a Rolex, I got a Mac Studio :-0

Sejal

Nov 11, 2022 at 03:14 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · “New” Mac Studio Ultra what to test

Here is how you can run a hardware check on your new Mac Studio Ultra:

"Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac
Apple Diagnostics, formerly known as Apple Hardware Test, can check your Mac for hardware issues.

Prepare your Mac:

-Shut down your Mac.
-Disconnect all external devices except keyboard, mouse, display, Ethernet connection (if applicable), and connection to AC power.
-Make sure that your Mac is on a hard, flat, stable surface with good ventilation.

Apple silicon:

-Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button as your Mac starts up.
-Release when you see the startup options window, which includes a gear icon labeled Options.
-Press Command ( ⌘ )-D on your keyboard."

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

Nov 11, 2022 at 03:33 PM
SejalPatelMU
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · “New” Mac Studio Ultra what to test

LBJ2 wrote:

Apple Diagnostics, formerly known as Apple Hardware Test, can check your Mac for hardware issues.

Prepare your Mac:

-Shut down your Mac.
-Disconnect all external devices except keyboard, mouse, display, Ethernet connection (if applicable), and connection to AC power.
-Make sure that your Mac is on a hard, flat, stable surface with good ventilation.

Apple silicon:

-Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button as your Mac starts up.
-Release when you see the startup options window, which includes a gear icon
...Show more

LBJ2,
Thank you. I was planning on running that as soon as I got it. But that test is so ambiguous. It just say ok and doesn’t give any detailed info. Is there a way to see what results it actually got?

Sejal

Nov 11, 2022 at 04:37 PM
SejalPatelMU
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · “New” Mac Studio Ultra what to test

LBJ2 wrote:

Prepare your Mac:

-Shut down your Mac.

Apple silicon:

-Release when you see the startup options window, which includes a gear icon
...Show more

LBJ2,
Thank you. I was planning on running that as soon as I got it. But that test is so ambiguous. It just say ok and doesn’t give any detailed info. Is there a way to see what results it actually got?

Sejal

Nov 11, 2022 at 04:41 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · “New” Mac Studio Ultra what to test

SejalPatelMU wrote:
LBJ2,

Sejal

"It just say ok" is a good thing 😉

If there are no HW problems then you will see "ADP000 No issues found" and you are good to go, HW wise.

If however, you see other reference codes you can look those codes up here for the exact details and recommended next steps:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203747

Nov 11, 2022 at 04:47 PM
bjhurley
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · “New” Mac Studio Ultra what to test

In my experience, at least, Apple refurbished computers have been more reliable than their new ones. I bought a string of new Macs from the 1980s through the mid 2000s, and every single one of them either had problems out of the box or developed them within a month or two. In contrast every refurbished Mac and iPad I've bought has been rock solid reliable. I only buy refurbished now unless I can't find what I want among the refurbished ones (which is sometimes the case...if I'm not in a hurry I wait a year or more to see if one with the exact specs I want comes up and sometimes they do).

Nov 11, 2022 at 04:56 PM
jwpstl
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · “New” Mac Studio Ultra what to test

I have had a Mac Studio Ultra refurb for a little less than a month and haven’t had any issues. Most products I buy new but with Apple I’m completely comfortable buying refurb. I’ve done in multiple times. And so far so good with this one.

Nov 11, 2022 at 07:19 PM
SejalPatelMU
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · “New” Mac Studio Ultra what to test

bjhurley wrote:
In my experience, at least, Apple refurbished computers have been more reliable than their new ones. I bought a string of new Macs from the 1980s through the mid 2000s, and every single one of them either had problems out of the box or developed them within a month or two. In contrast every refurbished Mac and iPad I've bought has been rock solid reliable. I only buy refurbished now unless I can't find what I want among the refurbished ones (which is sometimes the case...if I'm not in a hurry I wait a year or more to see if
...Show more

bjhurley,

Thank you. I haven’t had any issues with the MacBooks or iPads I have gotten refurbished but they all cost way less than this purchase. Just trying to put my mind at ease.

Sejal

Nov 11, 2022 at 11:41 PM
SejalPatelMU
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · “New” Mac Studio Ultra what to test

jwpstl wrote:
I have had a Mac Studio Ultra refurb for a little less than a month and haven’t had any issues. Most products I buy new but with Apple I’m completely comfortable buying refurb. I’ve done in multiple times. And so far so good with this one.

jwpstl,

That is so good to hear.

Sejal

Nov 11, 2022 at 11:42 PM
SejalPatelMU
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · “New” Mac Studio Ultra what to test

Quick update, finally got everything setup and tested. Everything is working as planned. Thank you for all of the tips. I am having a small issue that the MacStudio keeps waking up every 10 minutes or so. The monitors stay off but my two OWC Express 4M2 NVME enclosure will turn on, and their fans kick on when this happens. I have read a couple of fixes for that problem and will try that out tonight, and keep you posted in case it is happening to you.

Final photo of the setup:

Nov 28, 2022 at 04:15 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.