New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

M1x vs em1 mark ii and mark III face detection speed

ipcmlr

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · M1x vs em1 mark ii and mark III face detection speed

Going to shoot a couple of weddings.
Currently have an m1x.
Is moving to em1 mark ii or mark iii going to to improve face detection significantly or will there be only slight improvements?

Nov 11, 2022 at 08:15 AM
whumber
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · M1x vs em1 mark ii and mark III face detection speed

E-M1ii is identical to the E-M1X, the dual processors of the E-M1X are not used to accelerate things like face detection as far as I can tell. The E-M1iii uses a more modern face detection algorithm and is significantly more capable.

Nov 11, 2022 at 08:29 AM
ipcmlr

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · M1x vs em1 mark ii and mark III face detection speed

thanks. that was what i was expecting.
i never tried an em1 mk3. maybe i can rent one out and see for myself if it is much faster.
they all have the same sensor correct?

Nov 11, 2022 at 08:56 AM
MEDISN
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · M1x vs em1 mark ii and mark III face detection speed

ipcmlr wrote:
thanks. that was what i was expecting.
i never tried an em1 mk3. maybe i can rent one out and see for myself if it is much faster.
they all have the same sensor correct?

Sensor is the same but as whumber points out above, the EM1mkIII has updated algorithms that provide a more consistent and reliable experience. I shot a brief example with the EM1X and EM1mkIII that sort of illustrates the difference.

The most obvious improvement is in detecting faces smaller in the frame although in studio, candid environments, corporate events, wedding, etc the practical difference is less obvious. i.e. both are great at this type of work.

For kids at play, I do feel the improvements in the EM1mkIII are worthwhile as the "shot window" is often fleeting and the EM1mkIII is so quick to find and lock focus it might mean a couple extra in-focus frames in a short burst.

Nov 11, 2022 at 09:22 AM
ipcmlr

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · M1x vs em1 mark ii and mark III face detection speed

Thanks. Appreciate it.
Just what I was looking for.

MEDISN wrote:
Sensor is the same but as whumber points out above, the EM1mkIII has updated algorithms that provide a more consistent and reliable experience. I shot a brief example with the EM1X and EM1mkIII that sort of illustrates the difference.

The most obvious improvement is in detecting faces smaller in the frame although in studio, candid environments, corporate events, wedding, etc the practical difference is less obvious. i.e. both are great at this type of work.

For kids at play, I do feel the improvements in the EM1mkIII are worthwhile as the "shot window" is often fleeting and the EM1mkIII is so
...Show more

Nov 11, 2022 at 09:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ipcmlr

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · M1x vs em1 mark ii and mark III face detection speed

@MEDISN
Have you also tested out the Panasonic g9 face detection?

MEDISN wrote:

For kids at play, I do feel the improvements in the EM1mkIII are worthwhile as the "shot window" is often fleeting and the EM1mkIII is so
...Show more

Nov 11, 2022 at 09:34 AM
MEDISN
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · M1x vs em1 mark ii and mark III face detection speed

ipcmlr wrote:
@MEDISN@
Have you also tested out the Panasonic g9 face detection?

I never owned the G9, but I do have GH5, S1R, S1H (x2). While I find Panasonic good at detecting faces I don't find the results in a burst impressive (too many OOF). I also get a lot of false positives (detecting faces in random objects) with Panasonic so I tend to leave it off and use smallest focus point manually placed on the eye. I like the Panasonics, but I find the OM-D's and R5 suite me better for "people" photography (fast, accurate, reliable).

Nov 11, 2022 at 10:17 AM
SpecFoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · M1x vs em1 mark ii and mark III face detection speed

MEDISN wrote:
I never owned the G9, but I do have GH5, S1R, S1H (x2). While I find Panasonic good at detecting faces I don't find the results in a burst impressive (too many OOF). I also get a lot of false positives (detecting faces in random objects) with Panasonic so I tend to leave it off and use smallest focus point manually placed on the eye. I like the Panasonics, but I find the OM-D's and R5 suite me better for "people" photography (fast, accurate, reliable).

I do own a G9, since it first came out, and compared to my EM1.3 and now OM-1, the eye detect is a big step behind. It used to be really bad initially, but to give Panasonic credit they have made improvements with numerous FW updates. It is still less effective and the DFD focus (wobble) continues to be bothersome at times. I kept the G9 to shoot portraits with my P/Leica 25 f1.4 Summilux and 42.5 f1.2 Nocticron lenses, but now with the OM-1 they both focus great, so it is time to finally sell the G9. OM-1 with EM1.3 as backup body going forward, very happy with the face/eye detect on both. Have done only 2 portrait sessions with the OM-1 but the face/eye detect does seem to acquire focus at longer distances.

To the OP, never had a EM1.2 but did have (2) EM1's and the eye detect is greatly improved from that model.

Nov 11, 2022 at 10:28 AM
whumber
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · M1x vs em1 mark ii and mark III face detection speed

SpecFoto wrote:
I do own a G9, since it first came out, and compared to my EM1.3 and now OM-1, the eye detect is a big step behind. It used to be really bad initially, but to give Panasonic credit they have made improvements with numerous FW updates. It is still less effective and the DFD focus (wobble) continues to be bothersome at times.

My experience was that the G9, and GH5, were really quite good at putting a crosshair on the eye but just not very good at translating that into a shot with the eye in focus.

Nov 11, 2022 at 11:01 AM
SpecFoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · M1x vs em1 mark ii and mark III face detection speed

whumber wrote:
My experience was that the G9, and GH5, were really quite good at putting a crosshair on the eye but just not very good at translating that into a shot with the eye in focus.

Yes, I agree. When I first got the G9 in 2018 I took it and the 2 P/Leica 25mm and 42.5 mm lenses, plus the Only 75 f1.8, on a photographers cruise to Mexico a few weeks later with 6 fellow photogs and 13 models. Despite the G9 showing it had attained eye focus my overall in-focus results for the trip were really bad, almost 60% of the photos were slightly OOF where the eye detect showed in focus but actually the focus was on the closest part of the body to the camera instead. When the subject was backlit it was worse. Loved everything about the G9 except the C-AF and eye detect, so I kept it and just used S-AF.

But I knew the eye detect could be better, even much better. The G9's failure is what got me to buy into Sony FF with a A7III a few months after returning. The A7III had awesome eye detect AF, about a 90% hit rate, and Sony even put out a couple of FW improvements since. Continue to use mostly Sony for portraits to this day, but will see if the OM-1 changes that. Right now the eye detect on the OM-1 is only a slight improvement over the EM1.3, and still a step behind Sony in my opinion, but if OMDS were to put out FW upgrades to make it work more like the subject detection modules, that would be a great start.

Nov 11, 2022 at 11:30 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password