New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Pantone and PS

runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pantone and PS

Looks like using Pantone in PS will cost $180 annually. Not sure whose idea it was.

Nov 09, 2022 at 11:03 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pantone and PS

Not sure this matters to anyone here. Since Pantone is used for commercials applications that cost will likely be passed down the chain to customers.

Nov 10, 2022 at 03:25 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pantone and PS

I had no idea it was ever free.

EBH

Nov 11, 2022 at 09:02 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pantone and PS

EB-1 wrote:
I had no idea it was ever free.

EBH

It can't be free because then it would be no point in running a business. At work we ordered ink every week using Pantone. I'm sure there was some type of royalty going back to them. Pantone offered a colour swatch book. Don't now if that was free or ink manufacturers/printers had to pay for.

I guess Adobe used it for free. You know what happens when the big corporations get all lawyered up. It gets nasty.

https://www.thefashionlaw.com/the-business-of-being-pantone/

Nov 11, 2022 at 09:23 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pantone and PS

We've been using Pantone colors for decades now. Most often when I've come across the use is when I'm working on brochures or posters for established companies, say, Honeywell, where their logo is spec'd in a specific Pantone color. That generally means that when you're printing, instead of the four standard ink colors, cyan, magenta, yellow and black, you're added a fifth color plate to the press that only prints that single Pantone color. Things like cereal boxes are often printed with a series of Pantone color inks that are used to hit very specific colors on press and colors that the standard printing inks cannot reproduce.

Print shops will have stocks of Pantone offset lithography ink on hand to accommodate printing files that spec those colors. And there are several types of Pantone specs as well, such as for coated paper or uncoated paper.

Where this comes into play for Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator users is when you need to convert someone's Pantone spec'd color to sRGB for their website use or use the nearest CMYK equivalent for offset printing where they are not going to spring for the money for additional color plates on press.

Sounds like a real good reason to not get rid of your older versions of the software but it also seems like there are some pretty simple workarounds. I'm not sure that these two guys are the best source for understanding this development because it sounds like they've never actually used or spec'd the use of Pantone colors in their hip commentary roles.

Nov 11, 2022 at 12:05 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pantone and PS

Peter Figen wrote:
We've been using Pantone colors for decades now. Most often when I've come across the use is when I'm working on brochures or posters for established companies, say, Honeywell, where their logo is spec'd in a specific Pantone color. That generally means that when you're printing, instead of the four standard ink colors, cyan, magenta, yellow and black, you're added a fifth color plate to the press that only prints that single Pantone color. Things like cereal boxes are often printed with a series of Pantone color inks that are used to hit very specific colors on press and
...Show more

I seen the 4 colour offset process for many years. We occasionally would use a 5th printing unit when we first started. That was many years ago. When we went heat set 4 units were always dedicated as a set. Most of of time there would be a few Pantone colours and black.

Nov 11, 2022 at 02:39 PM
dclark
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pantone and PS

Peter Figen wrote:
....... I'm not sure that these two guys are the best source for understanding this development because it sounds like they've never actually used or spec'd the use of Pantone colors in their hip commentary roles.

It's obvious they are just trying to generate clicks, which is money for them.

It seems to be working. They have 470K subscribers and this post has 239K views. It was posted here and got me to click. I'm embarrassed.

Yet another demonstration that it is not necessary to know anything to generate clicks and make a living on the internet.

Nov 12, 2022 at 01:55 PM
AnnJS
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pantone and PS

Basically Pantone sells color recipes to make spot color printing inks.

If you have one of their color books which are made for the printing trade, you will see how many parts of various basic colored inks are used to create one of the Pantone Colors.

As Peter explained, designers will usually specify their colors using the Pantone numbers especially when they are printing only in spot colors or have a need to match a corporate logo.

I once had inks specially manufactured for me when we needed to produce marketing materials for a financial house and their CEO wanted to match the color of his fountain pen (which was a rich metallic crimson). No Pantone chip matched that pen but a New York ink manufacturer mixed crimson ink with metallic gold and provided exactly the rich color that the client desired.

The Pantone colors in Photoshop provided a recipe to provide an approximate on-screen replication of a Pantone Printing Ink and a CMYK mix which would mimic that color as closely as possible when printing with only the CMYK process inks or on an inkjet printer.

Nov 13, 2022 at 12:18 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pantone and PS

Mid 80’s I think but I can’t really remember. They told us a license for PS was around $75,000.

Nov 13, 2022 at 11:58 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pantone and PS

If I edit in PS and print using my Canon iP8720 I have no fears of the Pantone Police" arresting me? That was my first thought when I saw that. I don't go into details of printer inks and color dyes and the like. I just make 'em look good and print for competition or post on social media.

Nov 13, 2022 at 02:25 PM
AnnJS
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pantone and PS

You are totally safe when printing on a Canon or any other inkjet printer because these printers have no ability to use a Spot color ink — they can only print a simulation of a Pantone Color using a mixture from their built-in inks.

Nov 13, 2022 at 03:25 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pantone and PS

I think this is a non issue for most Photoshop users, mostly because even if you were printing to an offset press using spot colors (and Pantone is not the only game in town for that), you would never be printing directly from Photoshop itself, you'd be placing your Photoshop files in InDesign and printing from there. Even if you are doing something fun and complicated like printing a spot color over your photo to zing up a color on press, you don't need any Pantone support in Ps to do that. All you need to do is make the selection that becomes the basis for the spot color channel and tell the printer what PMS (Pantone Matching System) color to use on the extra plate. You'd still would want to have a current Pantone swatch book to refer to for the actual color.

And I do know that Epson used to market some models of their pro level inkjet printers as being able to hit a certain percentage of Pantone colors with their inks when using those printers to proof for offset lithography.

Nov 13, 2022 at 03:45 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pantone and PS

AnnJS wrote:
You are totally safe when printing on a Canon or any other inkjet printer because these printers have no ability to use a Spot color ink — they can only print a simulation of a Pantone Color using a mixture from their built-in inks.

That is good to hear. I thought how would they, but I never underestimate the quest for profits.

Nov 14, 2022 at 08:40 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.