New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · OCF

Hoagie058
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · OCF

I am firmly entrenched in the HS sports world for most of my photography and am not that comfortable with OCF, but I did a quick backyard session today. CC welcome.

ILCE-7RM4    85mm F1.4 DG DN | Art 020 lens    85mm    f/1.4    1/3200s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-7RM4    85mm F1.4 DG DN | Art 020 lens    85mm    f/1.4    1/3200s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-7RM4    85mm F1.4 DG DN | Art 020 lens    85mm    f/2.0    1/1600s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Nov 14, 2022 at 02:28 PM · View previous versions

Nov 09, 2022 at 06:15 PM
keepclicking
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · OCF

Images are nice and sharp but the tall grass in 3 & 4 is distracting. My comments are strictly as a viewer of your images. I don’t do people photography so no technical stuff.

Nov 09, 2022 at 08:52 PM
Hoagie058
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · OCF

Yes, some things I don’t notice until after the fact.
Thank you.

keepclicking wrote:
Images are nice and sharp but the tall grass in 3 & 4 is distracting. My comments are strictly as a viewer of your images. I don’t do people photography so no technical stuff.

Nov 09, 2022 at 08:56 PM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · OCF

Very nice images and the more you practice with OCF, the more comfortable you'll become. One point you should consider is the percentage of flash contribution vs ambient light. Many photographers try to make the use of flash barely noticeable. This is a personal taste issue. If you're wondering what I'm referring to, compare the first two images to the last image. In the first two, the effects of the flash are much more noticeable. Being able to subtly blend flash in with ambient is a great skill to learn.

Nov 10, 2022 at 08:33 AM
Hoagie058
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · OCF

Thank you. All points noted.
I’ve got alot to learn.
story_teller wrote:
Very nice images and the more you practice with OCF, the more comfortable you'll become. One point you should consider is the percentage of flash contribution vs ambient light. Many photographers try to make the use of flash barely noticeable. This is a personal taste issue. If you're wondering what I'm referring to, compare the first two images to the last image. In the first two, the effects of the flash are much more noticeable. Being able to subtly blend flash in with ambient is a great skill to learn.

Nov 10, 2022 at 08:41 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · OCF

Very good set of pics. My only nit is the crop through the text on her sweater in #1.

Nov 12, 2022 at 10:34 AM
Hoagie058
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · OCF

Good point. Thank you
Jim Rickards wrote:
Very good set of pics. My only nit is the crop through the text on her sweater in #1.

Nov 12, 2022 at 12:16 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · OCF

First cc is that it's OCF, not OFC. Off-Camera Flash.

Most important nit is on Images 1 and 2, the flash is below the subject's face, and away from the way they're turned their faces, so you have shadows you may not necessarily want. Even if you were going for broad lighting, you would want it closer to the way their faces are turned. Look at the first one especially, how dark her right eye is. No. 4, it's also set below their faces (looks like even below their hands as shadow is above her hand), but it can work because their faces are tilted down.

You really just have to keep practicing, and evaluating yourself, your light placement.

Nov 14, 2022 at 12:38 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · OCF

Ron gave a good critique. It looks like you had them set 45/45 at just about the same power. This creates confused lighting. Also, I think you'd get more flattering photos by using modifiers to soften the light.

If you are not familiar with lighting patterns, such as broad lit mentioned by Ron, study up. I also would have liked to see a better balance between flash and ambient.

Nov 14, 2022 at 02:16 PM
Hoagie058
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · OCF

Thank you. I did good a little under exposed on ambient. I wanted to but over did it.

dmacmillan wrote:
Ron gave a good critique. It looks like you had them set 45/45 at just about the same power. This creates confused lighting. Also, I think you'd get more flattering photos by using modifiers to soften the light.

If you are not familiar with lighting patterns, such as broad lit mentioned by Ron, study up. I also would have liked to see a better balance between flash and ambient.

Nov 14, 2022 at 02:27 PM
Hoagie058
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · OCF

friscoron wrote:
First cc is that it's OCF, not OFC. Off-Camera Flash.

Most important nit is on Images 1 and 2, the flash is below the subject's face, and away from the way they're turned their faces, so you have shadows you may not necessarily want. Even if you were going for broad lighting, you would want it closer to the way their faces are turned. Look at the first one especially, how dark her right eye is. No. 4, it's also set below their faces (looks like even below their hands as shadow is above her hand), but it can work because
...Show more

Good point. OCF is corrected..lol.

Here are a couple I took Sunday. I only used one light with a large modifier this time and tried to keep it above the subject and angled down. Not all were successful, but they are hopefully an improvement and the Mom loves them. Again, CC welcome.

ILCE-7RM4    85mm F1.4 DG DN | Art 020 lens    85mm    f/4.0    1/640s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-7RM4    85mm F1.4 DG DN | Art 020 lens    85mm    f/4.0    1/500s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-7RM4    FE 35mm F1.4 GM lens    35mm    f/2.0    1/3200s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 14, 2022 at 02:39 PM
txtphoto

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · OCF

May I ask what OCF light you are using?

Dec 12, 2022 at 06:41 PM
Hoagie058
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · OCF

I had a Flashpoint AD300 in a 120cm Parabolic is all.

txtphoto wrote:
May I ask what OCF light you are using?

Dec 12, 2022 at 06:44 PM
GGEIS

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · OCF

Second set is much better, good direction of light, nicely controlled. I think the biggest thing for me is everything in 1 and 2 looks technically sound i think the improvement they could make would just be the posing.#1 I like the framing and lighting, everything is great but he’s just standing there square up mid frame. It’s not bad but that’s where I think it could be a little more interesting. Turn the body, a little contrapposto lean, something. #2 is my least favorite even though again it’s technically good. Just square on from belly button up feels like a snap shot. I think that one could have been a good tight headshot or something.

All three have elements I like. The back light is great, I think the subject framing and some leading lines are my favorites, the artificial light looks good and natural. A lot of times when you’re thinking about and learning the lighting and the framing and the shot it’s harder to also interact with the subject, I get the same way.

Dec 13, 2022 at 11:40 PM
Hoagie058
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · OCF

I did much better posing my subject on my next shoot. She was cooperative and engaged where he didn't want to be there. His Mother had to help motivate him.

That said, I definitely need to do better interacting.
Thank you for the great advice.

GGEIS wrote:
Second set is much better, good direction of light, nicely controlled. I think the biggest thing for me is everything in 1 and 2 looks technically sound i think the improvement they could make would just be the posing.#1 I like the framing and lighting, everything is great but he’s just standing there square up mid frame. It’s not bad but that’s where I think it could be a little more interesting. Turn the body, a little contrapposto lean, something. #2 is my least favorite even though again it’s technically good. Just square on from belly button up feels like
...Show more

Dec 14, 2022 at 12:47 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.