New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · A7R5 enables dual IS on 100-400 and 200-600mm

seaSharp

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A7R5 enables dual IS on 100-400 and 200-600mm

https://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/cscs/function/compatibility.php?fnc=1002&area=gb&lang=en&ref=1

(click on the "compatible lenses" button to see the pop up listing newly updated lenses)

So a perennial complaint of mine has been the experience of shooting long lenses with the alpha series cameras. Compared to the other systems I have experience with (Oly, Panasonic, Fuji) the through the EVF experience of looking at wildlife has been disappointing on the stability front. So I was intrigued to see the claims of improved IBIS on the 7RV. I'm now more intrigued as they've updated the lens firmware on the optically excellent (and reasonably priced) 200-600mm to enable coordinated IS when used on the RV.

Will have to try it out to see if it really delivers but hopefully this is evidence that Sony is finally taking IS seriously again after being an early adopter of FF IBIS.

Nov 09, 2022 at 03:02 PM
seaSharp

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A7R5 enables dual IS on 100-400 and 200-600mm

So has anyone tried using an updated 100-400mm or 200-600mm with an AR7V?

I'm very curious to hear about how these combinations perform (in particular I'm wondering whether the through the EVF view is substantially smoother). At some point I'm going to get around to renting these and finding out for myself but that may be a while what with the current weather out here in the northwest...

Dec 06, 2022 at 08:16 PM
osv2
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A7R5 enables dual IS on 100-400 and 200-600mm

i use the 200-600/1.4x to shoot sports, i don't have any problem keeping the target centered in the frame.

i'm usually on a tripod or a monopod at the minimum tho.

Dec 06, 2022 at 10:03 PM
seaSharp

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A7R5 enables dual IS on 100-400 and 200-600mm

osv2 wrote:
i use the 200-600/1.4x to shoot sports, i don't have any problem keeping the target centered in the frame.

i'm usually on a tripod or a monopod at the minimum tho.

I did recently break down and purchase a monopod. On systems with better stabilization, however, I haven't needed to use one. And I'm hoping with the new capabilities of internal and updated lens stabilization I won't need one on Sony, either.

Dec 07, 2022 at 04:42 PM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A7R5 enables dual IS on 100-400 and 200-600mm

Dual IBIS + OIS has existed on previous Sony cameras. This is not a new feature on the a7RM5. There is apparently some faster processing possible on the new camera that is improving the performance.

Dec 07, 2022 at 07:27 PM
QuietOC
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A7R5 enables dual IS on 100-400 and 200-600mm

Previously the sensor movements only handled 3-axis when an OSS lens was attached, and OSS handled yaw and pitch by itself. It was a division of labor. The sensor handled all 5-axes when the lens lacked OSS. Sony never specified how many axes OSS covers by itself. Canon has at least one IS macro lens that handles 4-axes all by itself.

New for Sony would be sensor movement assisting OSS with yaw and pitch. The CIPA stabilization rating is only for yaw and pitch movements.

(OSS assisting sensor movement for x- and y-axis movement could also be something new, but I don't expect it.)

Dec 07, 2022 at 07:59 PM
seaSharp

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A7R5 enables dual IS on 100-400 and 200-600mm

QuietOC wrote:
Previously the sensor movements only handled 3-axis when an OSS lens was attached, and OSS handled yaw and pitch by itself. It was a division of labor. The sensor handled all 5-axes when the lens lacked OSS. Sony never specified how many axes OSS covers by itself. Canon has at least one IS macro lens that handles 4-axes all by itself.

New for Sony would be sensor movement assisting OSS with yaw and pitch. The CIPA stabilization rating is only for yaw and pitch movements.

(OSS assisting sensor movement for x- and y-axis movement could also be something new, but I don't
...Show more

Interesting. They certainly seem to think that it's some thing new rather than just a better version of what was already there:

"Image Stabilization with Body–Lens Coordinated Control

The camera body and the lens perform image stabilization in coordination, allowing for more effective stabilization of images than would otherwise be possible."

Dec 07, 2022 at 09:30 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.