New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Portland Japanese Garden-"The Tree"

mfenske
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Portland Japanese Garden-"The Tree"

My wife and I are headed to the Portland Japanese Garden tomorrow afternoon in the hopes of capturing some of the fall colors. The highlight of it, of course, is "The Tree" and I could use help. I think I've (finally) figured out where it is in the park. Any suggestions on the "how" to shoot it? I plan to bring my A7iv and Tamron 35-150. I could rent the 12-24G if that would help. Thanks!

Nov 09, 2022 at 10:43 AM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Portland Japanese Garden-"The Tree"

Lots of images online, look at the EXIF for typical focal lengths. I suspect you will find that 35mm is not nearly wide enough.

Nov 09, 2022 at 11:20 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Portland Japanese Garden-"The Tree"

I've been there, but it was quite a while ago now. My vague memory is that the tree is smaller than you might imagine, and I agree that a wide lens is likely useful. Hopefully some Portlandia types will weigh in.

Also, there's a LOT more to see in that garden than that one familiar tree. It is a lovely place overall.

Nov 09, 2022 at 12:51 PM
mfenske
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Portland Japanese Garden-"The Tree"

gdanmitchell wrote:
I've been there, but it was quite a while ago now. My vague memory is that the tree is smaller than you might imagine, and I agree that a wide lens is likely useful. Hopefully some Portlandia types will weigh in.

Also, there's a LOT more to see in that garden than that one familiar tree. It is a lovely place overall.

You're absolutely right...and I've been there a number of times as I live in Portland. I've never actually (to my knowledge) captured an image of "that tree" so I could use the help. I've also booked the 12-24G for the outing.

Nov 09, 2022 at 04:07 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Portland Japanese Garden-"The Tree"

mfenske wrote:
You're absolutely right...and I've been there a number of times as I live in Portland. I've never actually (to my knowledge) captured an image of "that tree" so I could use the help. I've also booked the 12-24G for the outing.

:-)

I need to get back to Portland! One of our sons used to live there, so at one point we visited frequently, including the various public gardens. I miss the place.

Good luck on your visit.

Nov 09, 2022 at 04:55 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Portland Japanese Garden-"The Tree"

I know the moment is gone, but for future reference:

-if you want to capture the full tree width, you will need even less than 16mm; the path that borders it is about 8 feet wide, and during the foliage high season, they split the path with a temporary barrier to keep photographers in place...and in line waiting for their turn. Yes, it's that popular even before 10 am when is just open for members.
so only 3-4 people can squeeze themselves in a good angle in front of the tree, and staff monitors time allowance.
- time of the day matters a lot to get the right lighting. Before 10am it will remain shaded, which can be best if it is a sunny day
- There are other beautiful maples spread out, some of which one can still get close too (almost as)
- The tree undergoes trimming/manicuring so it changed quite a bit in the last decade - you might get a bit surprised if you saw an older picture of it

Dec 16, 2022 at 11:48 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.