Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Where do "frequent sellers" get their equipment?

rjensen11

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Where do "frequent sellers" get their equipment?

This is obvious to most folks, but there are sellers on the equipment forum, Nikon1960 for example, that have equipment for sale all the time. The have very good ratings so I think everything is legit, but where did all the equipment come from? Rental or demo gear, returns to places like Amazon or Best Buy?

I'm not complaining and buyers appear satisfied. I'm just curious.

Nov 09, 2022 at 08:52 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Where do "frequent sellers" get their equipment?

rj, these are the collection of non-commercial, commercial resellers who have taken up "shops" to sell the wares. Fred Miranda apparently has exceptions to his general rule of "No commercial sales." Not a problem: his site, his rules. Good luck.

Nov 09, 2022 at 02:42 PM
rjensen11

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Where do "frequent sellers" get their equipment?

I'm not complaining, and they seem to have hundreds of positive transactions. Some of the postings make it sound like they're regular hobbyists selling some unused equipment, but then you see how many times they've sold the same lens! :-)

Nov 09, 2022 at 04:52 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Where do "frequent sellers" get their equipment?

Roger that, rj. There are amongst these sellers the oft claimed status of the item being sold that it is BNIB. That is of course bullshit and it is so because the in question seller is a secondary seller, i.e, not a dealer or else he/she would not be listing on FM per FM's regs that "no commercial selling allowed." (or some such language). So, from the onset, you're dealing with a seller who's being less than forthcoming with you about the provenance of the item.

Even if seller bought it from some "real" dealer, that makes it immediately a USED item, and it's used irrespective of whether the shutter count is zero or not. It went through a secondary transaction and sale. So there's that. YMMV, buy an item at one's own risk. I put these dudes in my "hide me" option. I'm betting if a whole lot more folks did that, they'd be gone to craigslist, etc.

BTW, great post to contribute here starting off. And your doggie Avatar is super good.

Nov 09, 2022 at 06:16 PM
rjensen11

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Where do "frequent sellers" get their equipment?

Thanks for the response. I have purchased three Sony bodies here with success, but buying lenses make me nervous. I'm looking at the Sony 600m, which is wicked expensive, and it is tempting to save $2K on one from here, but that is a huge amount to have zero warranty support. I'll probably wait and get it from a regular retailer. B&H has the credit card to save sales tax...

Nov 09, 2022 at 08:46 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Where do "frequent sellers" get their equipment?

My brother above speaks the truth! My last purchase was from a seller who was selling the lens for a friend. I have purchased eqpt from people that bought the item at yard sales, estate sales....
I always try to vet the seller or buyer as best I can. Not a 100% guarantee but never had a problem.
Good luck!
Dan

Nov 10, 2022 at 11:23 AM
anguyenre

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Where do "frequent sellers" get their equipment?

I've had the same question and wish there was a more assurance response here. I see resellers on other communities who have a ton of verified and well rated transactions, and then they're selling two of the exact same lens for a decent price that they source from who knows where...

Jan 17, 2023 at 12:39 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Where do "frequent sellers" get their equipment?

We makes our choices and takes our consequences. 🤪🤣

Jan 17, 2023 at 06:13 PM
hapa17

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Where do "frequent sellers" get their equipment?

anthonysemone wrote:
We makes our choices and takes our consequences. 🤪🤣

💯

Jan 31, 2023 at 07:58 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Where do "frequent sellers" get their equipment?

Yuup, hapa17, your post above in response to mine is a perfect example of a "non-post." As such, it is a perfect example of FM's requirement for a minimum post #.

Feb 01, 2023 at 08:18 AM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Where do "frequent sellers" get their equipment?

it's very easy to see who is a reseller here on fm,and usually they low-ball quitea bit.
sometimes a quick look on their feedback, and it becomes very obvious that was bought here. I am ok with bringing stuff from other sources, but screwing members twice is not.... it's Fred's site and memberships to sell bring money to upkeep the site.

Mar 02, 2023 at 12:47 PM
Buffalonian
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Where do "frequent sellers" get their equipment?

Bacalhau wrote:
it's very easy to see who is a reseller here on fm,and usually they low-ball quitea bit.
sometimes a quick look on their feedback, and it becomes very obvious that was bought here. I am ok with bringing stuff from other sources, but screwing members twice is not.... it's Fred's site and memberships to sell bring money to upkeep the site.

Sounds like a bit of whiner to be honest. But that's a matter of speculation after listening to you joke about on the forums.

Mar 02, 2023 at 04:34 PM
samhariharan

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Where do "frequent sellers" get their equipment?

I too noticed that there are some who seem to be regular sellers of certain brands.
But I am also quite glad to see that they are also folks with very good feedback.
Their listings are very transparent and they are clearly very knowledgeable; I would rather buy from folks who knw their equipment and are honest about the condition of the equipment.

I appreciate what they bring to FM.

Sam

Mar 04, 2023 at 11:28 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Where do "frequent sellers" get their equipment?

samhariharan wrote:
I too noticed that there are some who seem to be regular sellers of certain brands.
But I am also quite glad to see that they are also folks with very good feedback.
Their listings are very transparent and they are clearly very knowledgeable; I would rather buy from folks who knw their equipment and are honest about the condition of the equipment.

I appreciate what they bring to FM.

Sam

They bring very little other than what they sell. FM is so much more than the B&S board.

Mar 04, 2023 at 02:04 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Where do "frequent sellers" get their equipment?

Since so many members are perfectly happy with the purchases they have made with these sellers, they are an asset to the site, and most of us don’t worry about them not contributing to other forums. Just like the many members that only post on a single forum, or even just subscribe to this site to only buy or sell their own gear.

Mar 04, 2023 at 08:33 PM
mpix345
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Where do "frequent sellers" get their equipment?

I agree about feeling a bit uneasy about some "volume sellers". We all have a choice though. I'd much prefer to buy a lens or body from someone who can trace ownership back to initial purchase and tell me that they've used the lens with no issues for six months, or whatever. And I have backed out of a few sales when questions on provenance turned up shaky answers. One seller admitted he bought lens he was offering at a pawn shop and "tested it out" but never really used it much. Pass.

Mar 15, 2023 at 09:11 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.