New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

People shooting multiple systems...

novalaker
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · People shooting multiple systems...

So, long story short I'm looking to upgrade my landscape photography and perhaps venture more into portraits. Currently I shoot everything on my trust G9. I shoot a decent amount of wildlife as well which the G9 has been pretty great for. However, I have strongly considered getting a high-resolution body recently, especially with the new Fuji X-H2 released. If I switched to the Fuji, I might consider moving off M43 entirely just for simplicity, as the X-H2 plus the Tamron 150-500 in my eyes would be an equal, maybe better, pairing than the G9 and the PL 100-400 apart from rolling shutter which has never concerned me.

The other option would be to go up even further in sensor size and get a used A7RIV/Z7ii or a new A7IV, and just using that camera for landscape/portraits/etc. and keeping the G9 and the 100-400 for wildlife, playing to both systems' strengths.

I'm curious to hear from people who have used two systems how they feel about it. Do you find yourself wishing you consolidated? Is it helpful having two bodies?

Nov 07, 2022 at 08:06 AM
SpecFoto
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · People shooting multiple systems...

Since 2012 I have shot with 2 systems. Used Nikon since the mid 1980ís and added Olympus M4/3 in 2012 due to all the airline travel restrictions with regards to weight and luggage carry-on size. Really like the Olympus mirrorless system and it became my main system. In late 2018 I added Sony FF mirrorless to replace the older Nikon DSLR gear.

My M4/3 gear is for travel because of top notch IBIS, and the 2 fast, yet small and WR f2.8 Pro zooms, that go from 12mm to 150mm (24-300 FF). Plus I have 3 fast primes to cover most other situations. I continue to shoot with Sony, now having a A7RIV for high MP, and I just love it. I mostly use the Sony for landscapes and for my outside nature portraits with fast primes. Each system has advantages and I utilize those advantages to what my shooting priorities are.

No single camera will cover all the possible needs photographers may want. I shoot 90% of the time in AF-C now for both M4/3 (OM-1) and Sony. While having no experience with Fuji, my impressions from reading posts here is that their AF-C for sports and action photography is not up speed with some others. So how is their new 40MP APSC body going to fix that? Did they somehow increase the MP count and fix the AF-C issues, yet not increase the noise? Plus with having both the Sony and Olympus 100-400mm lenses I feel that other makes, like Sigma and Tamronís longer zooms will not perform as well for AF as the manufactureís own. I use Sigma shorter primes for both systems and like those well enough but their AF speed is a small step behind as was the Tamron wide angle zoom I had for Sony.

Edited on Nov 07, 2022 at 10:08 AM · View previous versions

Nov 07, 2022 at 09:59 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · People shooting multiple systems...

There is no absolute answer for your question, but as a general rule IMO if most of your photography comes from trips, I'd use just one system. If most of your photography is local, 2 systems would be fine. I never travel (or rarely) with 2 systems due to all the duplication and extra space that requires (2 types of batteries, lenses that overlap, etc...). As a consequence, for travel I either have my Sony gear or m4/3 gear. Not both. I always travel with 2 bodies but the backup shares the same mount and batteries as the primary.

Edited on Nov 07, 2022 at 10:16 AM · View previous versions

Nov 07, 2022 at 10:08 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · People shooting multiple systems...

novalaker wrote:
I'm curious to hear from people who have used two systems how they feel about it. Do you find yourself wishing you consolidated? Is it helpful having two bodies?

I wish I could consolidate, because the care and feeding of two unrelated systems can be a pain.

I actually switched from Fuji GFX (for landscapes) and Fuji X series (for wildlife and walk-around stuff) to Sony (replacing the GFX) and m4/3 to replace the Fuji X gear. In my experience, the OM-1 and G9 don't give away anything to Fuji APS-C, including noise performance or dynamic range, and the image quality is on par if not better because the m4/3 lenses are generally better optically, and most of the m4/3 lenses are smaller and more compact. The better Fuji X lenses are about the same size and weight as full-frame lenses.

Nov 07, 2022 at 10:13 AM
dcisive
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · People shooting multiple systems...

I came from a Canon R5 and top RF L glass to a OM-1 and all their Pro glass. I took a month working with the OM-1 to determine if I was going to keep 2 systems or send the OM-1 back. Believe me it shocked me more than anyone else that the Canon system was what got sold off. Time after time side by side example shooting revealed that even with shots where cropping was involved, the differences were nearly nonexistent or not worth discussing where color, sharpness and detail was considered. I know it can foster some heated arguments. when you consider that I never print larger then 13x19 on average, even with my paid professional work. Coupled with the rather sweet color rendition of the OM, I have NO complaints and thus far have felt no compromises. Even in lower light. I simply have had no desire to have a $18k system taking up room in a bag that didn't get opened up any further. You can say no one camera can do it all. But I say with proper application it might just surprise one.

Nov 07, 2022 at 12:20 PM
pr4photos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · People shooting multiple systems...

I shoot m43 (em5 iii), but also shoot Nikon Z6 and Z7. If you want to travel light (vacation etc), or want to travel light and use long lenses, m43 is perfect. As far as everything else, for me personally, full frame suits my needs better, as the quality is better. But, the downside is my camera bag is bigger, and the kit is much heavier and bulkier.
I am a professional photographer, and the quality from the full frame, especially in low light means it's a no brainer for me to use my Nikon's.
But for travel, I will take my Olympus

Nov 07, 2022 at 12:55 PM
robert_in_ca
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · People shooting multiple systems...

I used 3 systems for a long time: Olympus, Fuji and Canon. Having owed all the best bodies and glass I am down to 2 systems (Olympus and now Nikon).

I am selling off the Fuji. Olympus is my opinion has nicer glass with their Pro series lenses (sharper and better contrast), and the accuracy of the AF system is better.

This is my travel carry on kit. This picture shows my dual system setup (Olympus and Nikon) in my Guru Gear 22L backpack.

In the left compartment I have the Z 400mm f2.8 TC. In the right compartment I have my Z9, Z x1.4 TC, OM-1 with grip, Olympus 8-25mm 4.0 Pro, 12-100mm 4.0 Pro, 40-150mm 2.8 Pro.

When I travel with just my Olympus setup I bring an additional gripped OM-1 with the 150-400mm 4.5 Pro TC instead of the Z 400mm 2.8 and Z9.

novalaker wrote:
So, long story short I'm looking to upgrade my landscape photography and perhaps venture more into portraits. Currently I shoot everything on my trust G9. I shoot a decent amount of wildlife as well which the G9 has been pretty great for. However, I have strongly considered getting a high-resolution body recently, especially with the new Fuji X-H2 released. If I switched to the Fuji, I might consider moving off M43 entirely just for simplicity, as the X-H2 plus the Tamron 150-500 in my eyes would be an equal, maybe better, pairing than the G9 and the PL 100-400 apart
...Show more

Nov 07, 2022 at 01:18 PM
thedruid
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · People shooting multiple systems...

I just dipped my toe in the M43 camp, like Robert above I've tried a lot of bodies/systems over the past 2 years. I've been on a gear merry go round since the start of COVID. I'm looking for that perfect fit, great ergo and a good sensor. I currently shoot Sony FF and alongside the OM-1 and a few lenses. I've spent a lot of time over the past few days and especially last night looking at similar files from both cameras, side by side. I think theres definitely a difference but it's not as big as I feared. The camera is complex so I'm learning slowly, but my god that OM software is a cluster! I shoot mostly travel and some landscape and don't see myself going just M43 right now, the next few weeks and beyond I'll hopefully know more. I often think Fuji APSc could be a middle ground but that sensor, I'm not sure and I have not explored it.

Nov 07, 2022 at 01:36 PM
Tom Reynolds
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · People shooting multiple systems...

I decided to absolutely NOT use two systems.

I sold off or gave away all my Nikon gear and took a bath doing so. Frankly, in some situations a Nikon D-500/500pf or 300pf takes wildlife shots excellently. I have a stunning landscape of Lake Powell's Gunsite Butt (with water in it) from Anslem Point and a great shot from Antelope Canyon, sun ray and all on another wall both with Nikon.

Ultimately, I decided that it was just too much stuff to keep around the house and too much information for my brain to comprehend to main two systems.

I am having the same issue with postprocessing software. I have all the new stuff but need to pick one or two else my brain explodes.

Tom

Nov 07, 2022 at 05:18 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · People shooting multiple systems...

Tom Reynolds wrote:
I decided to absolutely NOT use two systems.

I sold off or gave away all my Nikon gear and took a bath doing so. Frankly, in some situations a Nikon D-500/500pf or 300pf takes wildlife shots excellently. I have a stunning landscape of Lake Powell's Gunsite Butt (with water in it) from Anslem Point and a great shot from Antelope Canyon, sun ray and all on another wall both with Nikon.

Ultimately, I decided that it was just too much stuff to keep around the house and too much information for my brain to comprehend to main two systems.

I am
...Show more

I inevitably forget key functions if I have not used one of my cameras for awhile. So one system is a good idea in that regard. Been thinking about a laminated card with reminders on it.

Nov 07, 2022 at 08:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tobycat2
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · People shooting multiple systems...

Iíve shot Olympus and Nikon in the mid 2000s, back when I did actual ďprofessionalĒ work, and still shoot with Nikon now. I recently tried using z6, d500, and xt3 but it was just too many different things to keep track of. I sold the d500 since my father in law has one and I knew I could borrow it easily if needed. Then I got the Fuji xh2s and was able to set it up a lot like my Nikon, making the transition back and forth relatively seamless. I couldnít do that with the xt3. Anyway, I returned the Fuji and got the OM-1 as it had some glass I wanted. I can also set this camera up a lot like my Nikon. Long story short, if you can set up both cameras to function similarly, it helps a lot with moving between them. Moving between my om-1 and z6 isnít any harder than when I switched between d500 and z6. Of course, if Nikon had a z90/z500 Iíd have gone that route and shared lenses. Canít have it all, I guess.

Nov 07, 2022 at 11:24 PM
johnvanr
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · People shooting multiple systems...

Even though I have had a very extensive MFT kit for years, I've never only used MFT. First this was because they didn't have a camera fast enough for birds in flight, but since the OM1 this issue is solved. Still, I cannot get myself to ditch full frame, despite that fact that the rational part of me thinks I don't need it.

Currently, I'm on a merry-go-round as far as gear is concerned, partly because we're probably retiring next year and moving to Southern Europe. From there, we're probably going to travel quite a bit and I hope to pick up model/portrait photography again. I know from prior international moves that my photography depends a lot on where I find myself.

One thing I know for sure is that I hate lenses that are unnecessarily large and heavy. I count most current FF lenses among those. But I make an exception for lenses that are really special and that I would use in a controlled situation, like a model shoot. I also know I don't like the Sony ergonomics.

And then there's my eye sight. I need different strength glasses for far, near and really near.

The last few weeks, we were in Europe and I brought five (yes, five) cameras: two OM1s, a Leica M10 and the Ricoh GRIII and GRIIIx. Kind of a real world test for the future.

I took different cameras on different days to see how well they worked for me.

The Ricohs are great cameras for what they are, but they confirmed what I already suspected: I need a viewfinder. Unless I was constantly changing glasses or wearing progressive glasses (with their attendant problems for me), I couldn't really see the scene and the LCD clearly at the same time. So, great cameras, but not enjoyable for me to use.

The OM1s are great and I like carrying two on occasions so I don't have the change lenses and I don't have to carry a bag. But on some days I carried just one with the Panasonic 14-140mm lens, which worked will until the light disappeared.

The Leica was a mixed bag. The thing that gets you with that camera are the small lenses (I have only Voigtlander and Zeiss lenses) and the amazing IQ when importing the images to the computer. But my eyesight bothers me with that camera as well, as I've not found a diopter correction lens that makes the rangefinder window completely focused for me. So, that takes away some of the enjoyment of shooting it. Also, a slight tweak in Lightroom to the other camera files renders all images more like the Leica images straight out of the camera.

It gets more screwed up: I left my Canon gear at home and don't know yet what to do with it. I don't see myself walking around with those large FF lenses in some European city, but the R5 is apparently pretty good with Leica M glass. The manual shooting experience with non-EF mount glass sucks, though. So, I just got a used Leica SL2-S. It's a heavy beast, but shooting the M glass with it is pure joy. Just got it, so will find out if I can get used to the bulk after earlier deciding it was too heavy for me.

What I haven't done yet is print images from Europe and see whether I actually need anything else than MFT to get the quality I need. And then the question is still whether my irrational mind can ditch FF...

Yes, I'm messed up...

Nov 08, 2022 at 06:40 AM
ajamils
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · People shooting multiple systems...

Few of months back I was happily shooting with Sony (like I've been for few years) but then OM-1 came out and my love for m4/3 rekindled (I started my digital photography with m4/3 with GH1) and before I know it I had a whole collection of lenses. Loved the size, weight and output from the OM-1 but there were times where I just felt that 20 mpx is just not enough, specially since I was coming from high mpx cameras like A7IV, A7rIV and A1. So when X-H2 was released, I was really tempted to try that out as well. Despite my trying hard not to give into G.A.S, I ended up ordering X-H2.

So now I have three system Sony, Olympus and (soon to be) Fuji. My plan is to hopefully consolidate to one system and in that regards Sony makes the most sense due to the wealth of lenses and best output but I love m4/3 as it provides the best reach and Fuji for it's amazing jpeg colors.

I do not plan on keeping multiple systems because it is a chore to determine what to take and what to leave whenever I go out on a trip. Plus it is just a lot of money to maintain multiple systems.

Nov 08, 2022 at 09:52 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · People shooting multiple systems...

johnvanr wrote:
Yes, I'm messed up...

You're certainly not alone!

Since I retired six years ago, I've been "auditioning" cameras almost constantly, ranging from wonderful Panasonic and Leica L-mount gear, the beautiful Hasselblad XCD system, the very enjoyable m4/3 world, and stunning image quality of the Fuji GFX ecosystem, to more mundane and pragmatic Sony system. I've pretty much convinced myself I can take excellent photos with any of them, within certain limitations, but trying to pick just one seems so incredibly difficult!

Oddly enough, for someone who started out as a diehard Nikon fan, and then moved on to spending a couple of decades as a Canon pro shooter, I have not tried either of those brands' mirrorless offerings - I think I was so put off by their first dismal products out of the gate, I completely ruled them out as far as serious mirrorless contenders. I still have zero interest in the Canon R (for Rebel?) series, but the Nikon Z9 does have some appeal; maybe if my source is right and the Z8 will have the same features in a smaller body, that might be the sweet spot - even more so if Nikon can come up with a 500mm or 600mm PF lens that has a reasonable aperture, yet doesn't break the bank...

Now that the winter rainy season is upon us here in the Pacific Northwest, we have the most dismal lighting conditions imaginable for bird and wildlife photography, so if the OM-1 and 150-400 can still make images without too much frustration, it may be the push I need to stick with m4/3 as my one system. I still have feelers out to try selling the 150-400, but the past couple of days shooting hummingbirds with both my OM and Sony systems has me reconsidering whether to let it go. If I had a serious enough offer, I might still part ways with it and go back to Sony. I still hate the flippy LCD selfie-screen on the Olympus cameras, and I don't see them ever correcting that flaw, so that's one area where Sony (and Fuji GFX) still has a big appeal to me.

Nov 08, 2022 at 10:05 AM
johnvanr
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · People shooting multiple systems...

But I didn't say anything about the film cameras I've been buying as well

I'm set on MFT for my bird photography. First of all, birds don't have as much appeal for me anymore than they did a few years back, so I'm no longer willing to lug all the heavy stuff around to take another picture that dozens of photographers are also taking. I happily sold my long Canon glass and I'm no longer in the market for any other brand super fast camera.

But I picked up street photography again, which is why the Leica and the Ricoh's came into play. The Leica also appeals because of its small lenses. I like zone focusing and MFT doesn't offer many small lenses that provide zone focusing.

And I hope to do model photography again, where lenses like the Canon 135/2 and the new RF 50/1.2 really shine. That, though, might be an area where MFT will do fine.

Still, if I do sell my R5, I only have cameras in the 20-24MP range, which should be enough, but, but...

Nov 08, 2022 at 10:41 AM
SpecFoto
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · People shooting multiple systems...

johnvanr wrote:
But I didn't say anything about the film cameras I've been buying as well

And I hope to do model photography again, where lenses like the Canon 135/2 and the new RF 50/1.2 really shine. That, though, might be an area where MFT will do fine.

Used to do model photography for many years with Nikon FF and the Nikkor 50 f1.2 MF, 85 f1.4D and 135 f2 DC. Started using Olympus M4/3 with models in 2013 with the P/Leica 25 f1.4 Summilux, 42.5 f1.2 Nocticron and Oly 75mm f1.8. Never felt I was missing anything. Due to the greater DOF of M4/3 I could shoot these lenses wide open close up, something that I could not do very often with the Nikkor lenses, all had to be stopped down a bit on most shots to have a greater DOF and keep both eyes in focus.

Nov 08, 2022 at 11:08 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · People shooting multiple systems...

Well, the dealer that sold me the 150-400 a couple of months ago just let me know he is willing to exchange it for a brand new Sony A1... decision time.

Nov 08, 2022 at 12:23 PM
Lleuallen
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · People shooting multiple systems...

The A1 will be consigned to the trash heap in a couple of years as more advanced cameras come out. The 150 - 400 will be a stellar lens ten years and more from now. It's the lens baby!

Nov 08, 2022 at 12:35 PM
dcisive
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · People shooting multiple systems...

I certainly do appreciate the fact that for each individual, they will have specific needs/wants where a photographic system is concerned. We'd all agree, I'm sure, that you can now fall off a log and get a great camera and lenses. This wasn't the case a decade or more ago. I, like so many others, have been though the mill trying out just about every setup you can name out there. They ALL have their place to be sure. However, it can come down to a point where a person decides what is essential vs. what is just luxury without a significantly higher payoff in use.

That said. I'd be lying if I insinuated, I have had NO curiosity (trying to avoid the desire word) to work with the likes of a Fuji 100S and its top glass, or a Sony A7RV with GM glass, or a Nikon Z9 and top S glass. But having been through this drill even as recently as the last year and two, it always ends up disappointing in some way. And before the return privilege ended the bill stared me in the face causing me to bail. You can probably name a piece of gear at this point and over the last 24 months I've either owned or had hands on with their offerings. It is so very ironic, that it was happenstance and a challenge from a friend who ordered an OM-1 for himself (also having rejected the Big Three's offering trying them first) that I try an OM-1 out.

Having taken that challenge I was all but sure it would just go back. After all I had a perfectly competent R5 and some top RF L glass. But admitted to being a bit put off of late due to the physical demands of dragging that stuff around. I'd have to admit. This is the first time, being 5 months out now since having the OM-1 and most of the top Pro glass, when I get tempted to put my feet back in the FF water, I get over it by the following morning completely avoiding any ordering of any gear. Then I just settle down and enjoy the results I"m getting without complaint. I'm not sure that's ever happened over the last 20 years to this degree. When I open my backpack storage bag and gaze upon and hold their Pro lenses it quickly reminds me of why I"m NOT jumping back in.

Nov 08, 2022 at 02:18 PM
johnvanr
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · People shooting multiple systems...

SpecFoto wrote:
Used to do model photography for many years with Nikon FF and the Nikkor 50 f1.2 MF, 85 f1.4D and 135 f2 DC. Started using Olympus M4/3 with models in 2013 with the P/Leica 25 f1.4 Summilux, 42.5 f1.2 Nocticron and Oly 75mm f1.8. Never felt I was missing anything. Due to the greater DOF of M4/3 I could shoot these lenses wide open close up, something that I could not do very often with the Nikkor lenses, all had to be stopped down a bit on most shots to have a greater DOF and keep both eyes in focus.
...Show more

Yes, it should work. Only issue when you already have the R5 is that the eye recognition on that camera is better than on the Olympus, so that aspect is liking taking a step backward.

Nov 08, 2022 at 04:16 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password