Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2022 · X-H2 (and therefore X-T5) Serious Autofocus Issues with Face/Eye Tracking

Deuxieme

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · X-H2 (and therefore X-T5) Serious Autofocus Issues with Face/Eye Tracking

2.0 made focus (and eye AF) more stable, feels similar to some of the Nikon bodies. Boost mode at 100 fps I still find mandatory. Boost mode at 200 fps feels much better.

Just make sure to customize your AF-C settings for maximum responsiveness, and give the camera enough light.

Jul 26, 2023 at 05:59 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · X-H2 (and therefore X-T5) Serious Autofocus Issues with Face/Eye Tracking

chez wrote:
Worse feeling to have is shooting something important and having to second guess the AF. Many situations have no do over…miss the shot and just keep on walking.

Yep... that's why it's important to learn how to use your camera before you use it for something important.

Jul 26, 2023 at 09:20 AM
gyoung143
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · X-H2 (and therefore X-T5) Serious Autofocus Issues with Face/Eye Tracking

molson wrote:
Yep... that's why it's important to learn how to use your camera before you use it for something important.

Absolutely. Do people really go out and do Jobs relying on these'features' without checking out a) that they work and b) that they know how to use them?
And let's be clear, these automations are all just aids to help the photographer, it still necessary to fall back on one's own skills if they don't. Good sharp pics of moving people are perfectly possible without 'eye detect', even amateurs have been doing it for decades of the children. If they don't work well enough for the purpose the photographer wants it's not a 'fault', and it's only a 'problem' for the photographer.

Jul 26, 2023 at 02:52 PM
cwmoros

p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · X-H2 (and therefore X-T5) Serious Autofocus Issues with Face/Eye Tracking

Deuxieme wrote:
2.0 made focus (and eye AF) more stable, feels similar to some of the Nikon bodies. Boost mode at 100 fps I still find mandatory. Boost mode at 200 fps feels much better.

Just make sure to customize your AF-C settings for maximum responsiveness, and give the camera enough light.

I thought boost mode only effects the LCD/EVF. How could this impact AF?

Jul 26, 2023 at 03:31 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · X-H2 (and therefore X-T5) Serious Autofocus Issues with Face/Eye Tracking

cwmoros wrote:

Boost mode has always improved AF along with refresh rate. Like most mirrorless cameras, it appears that AF performance is deeply tied to what and how the EVF is displaying.

Jul 26, 2023 at 03:39 PM
Deuxieme

p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · X-H2 (and therefore X-T5) Serious Autofocus Issues with Face/Eye Tracking

cwmoros wrote:

It has on previous bodies, by increasing the sampling rate of the AF system. But on the X-T5, they have given multiple priority options in boost mode, which makes this more confusing. 100 fps is good, so 200 fps is better—but not without trade offs. Like increasing the shutter speed, this can reduce the light getting to the sensor AF pixels. So when light is low I either find more suitable light or use a different boost setting.

Or just go 100 fps to keep it simple.

Jul 26, 2023 at 04:18 PM
cwmoros

p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · X-H2 (and therefore X-T5) Serious Autofocus Issues with Face/Eye Tracking

Thanks. I'll try it out.

Jul 26, 2023 at 05:09 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.