New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

X-H2 (and therefore X-T5) Serious Autofocus Issues with Face/Eye Tracking

bobby350z
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · X-H2 (and therefore X-T5) Serious Autofocus Issues with Face/Eye Tracking

Would be nice if people shared more some shots and at higher res too.

Nov 19, 2022 at 09:30 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · X-H2 (and therefore X-T5) Serious Autofocus Issues with Face/Eye Tracking

bobby350z wrote:
Would be nice if people shared more some shots and at higher res too.

When it comes to assessing resolution (and noise, and a few other things) sharing crops from full resolution images is useful. Even better to share crops from a few places in the image ó perhaps a crop from the center and one from a corner. Moving up the scale, even more useful than that is to share a link (not posting the actual image here) to a copy of the full image on a different host, so that those who want to investigate a full file can download it separately.

(Displaying super huge images in forums isn't necessary...)

Dan

Nov 19, 2022 at 09:57 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · X-H2 (and therefore X-T5) Serious Autofocus Issues with Face/Eye Tracking

Yes, I meant a link to the full res if possible. Everyone talks about how they have no focus problems but never share even a single shot.

Nov 19, 2022 at 12:19 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · X-H2 (and therefore X-T5) Serious Autofocus Issues with Face/Eye Tracking

There is no harm in posting even a full resolution file if you use the frame tag properly.

You also need to use a browser that respects responsive embedding, which falls apart when using a Mac.

Nov 19, 2022 at 03:07 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · X-H2 (and therefore X-T5) Serious Autofocus Issues with Face/Eye Tracking

https://youtu.be/V8zwEk7g-44

Interesting timing, the DPTV guys mention the false positives of the latest Fuji bodies regarding AF.

Overall consensus seems to be better than old Fuji but still not as dependable as the big 3ís flagships. If you made older Fujis work commercially these would still be an improvement but definitely not as reliable as they should be at this point.

Nov 19, 2022 at 05:19 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · X-H2 (and therefore X-T5) Serious Autofocus Issues with Face/Eye Tracking

I think they said it nicely. It is not that Fuji is bad but the other major players, Canon, Sony and Nikon are just well ahead and it doesn't change with the latest Fuji release. I am not sure why this is the case. My suspicion is that internal hardware is not the top notch affecting software performance improvements. I have nothing to back this and could be totally wrong.

Nov 19, 2022 at 06:56 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · X-H2 (and therefore X-T5) Serious Autofocus Issues with Face/Eye Tracking

bobby350z wrote:
I think they said it nicely. It is not that Fuji is bad but the other major players, Canon, Sony and Nikon are just well ahead and it doesn't change with the latest Fuji release. I am not sure why this is the case. My suspicion is that internal hardware is not the top notch affecting software performance improvements. I have nothing to back this and could be totally wrong.

There's certainly nothing hardware wise that should hold back the XHS2, so my gut feeling is that Fuji is just not great on the software/algorithm side. It's certainly not their bread and butter like it is Sony's. That the XHS2 (stacked low res) and XH2 (non stacked higher res) are seemingly close in AF performance should tell you that the S2 is the body that isn't fully optimized, and the only explanation to me is the software layer.

If you approach the XH2 like the high res body it is and don't try to shoehorn it into an action camera, the AF seems perfectly fine for what it is.

Edited on Nov 19, 2022 at 07:32 PM · View previous versions

Nov 19, 2022 at 07:31 PM
Jesse Evans
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · X-H2 (and therefore X-T5) Serious Autofocus Issues with Face/Eye Tracking

My experience with Fuji X-H2S was basically the same as you have here. The AF always wants to drive toward the background and canít ever just stay put in continuous AF regardless of whether itís in eye AF or single point. It essentially is like shooting a DSLR for stationary or slow moving subjects. Interestingly, it could capture 40 sharp frames of my dog sprinting at me but my wife holding my baby walking slowly toward me was essentially impossible. Even standing still. You basically see the AF shoot back behind the subject constantly before correcting.

Fuji has a problem with their AF-C algorithms. Usable for action but not for slow subjects imho.

Nov 19, 2022 at 07:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · X-H2 (and therefore X-T5) Serious Autofocus Issues with Face/Eye Tracking

Jesse Evans wrote:
My experience with Fuji X-H2S was basically the same as you have here. The AF always wants to drive toward the background and canít ever just stay put in continuous AF regardless of whether itís in eye AF or single point. It essentially is like shooting a DSLR for stationary or slow moving subjects. Interestingly, it could capture 40 sharp frames of my dog sprinting at me but my wife holding my baby walking slowly toward me was essentially impossible. Even standing still. You basically see the AF shoot back behind the subject constantly before correcting.

Fuji has a
...Show more

I've seen these impressions echoed quite a bit. People love to point to the dog type scenario to "prove" that Fuji has finally matured, but that's the edge case. Most of the time you're taking the other type of photo. This is what frustrates me to no end about Nikon as well. You can have one of the easiest scenes ever devised and a Fuji and Nikon will suddenly become braindead and eat glue while a Canon or Sony are having no issues.

Nov 19, 2022 at 07:36 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · X-H2 (and therefore X-T5) Serious Autofocus Issues with Face/Eye Tracking

RoamingScott wrote:
There's certainly nothing hardware wise that should hold back the XHS2, so my gut feeling is that Fuji is just not great on the software/algorithm side. It's certainly not their bread and butter like it is Sony's. That the XHS2 (stacked low res) and XH2 (non stacked higher res) are seemingly close in AF performance should tell you that the S2 is the body that isn't fully optimized, and the only explanation to me is the software layer.

If you approach the XH2 like the high res body it is and don't try to shoehorn it into an action camera, the
...Show more

It maybe but I think if it was software only, they would have hired some right folks and had it on par with Canon/Sony a while back. I think that Fuji pays quite a bit for sensors which aren't developed by them. Canon/Sony have in house advantage. That means rest of the hardware, ram, processors etc inside Fuji may not be the latest high end stuff but a gen or two behind say Sony. That could easily explain issues with the AF. Again I am not sure if someone has done teardown to see what's inside.

Nov 19, 2022 at 09:29 PM
mehrdad sadat
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · X-H2 (and therefore X-T5) Serious Autofocus Issues with Face/Eye Tracking

in the television/monitor world only very few players make the OLED/LCD panels, the rest either buy from them either the generic version or order custom versions. this is true when Nikon and or fuji order from sony or other manufacturers. this by no means comprises the rest of the system. in case u have not noticed, fuji has been very successful with both the aps and medium format systems

bobby350z wrote:
It maybe but I think if it was software only, they would have hired some right folks and had it on par with Canon/Sony a while back. I think that Fuji pays quite a bit for sensors which aren't developed by them. Canon/Sony have in house advantage. That means rest of the hardware, ram, processors etc inside Fuji may not be the latest high end stuff but a gen or two behind say Sony. That could easily explain issues with the AF. Again I am not sure if someone has done teardown to see what's inside.

Nov 20, 2022 at 09:51 AM
cdgerston
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · X-H2 (and therefore X-T5) Serious Autofocus Issues with Face/Eye Tracking

These forum discussions are always a little bit interestingÖand confusing to know what to make of it. Has Fuji improved itís AF or not? And of course, everyoneís opinion is different based on their POV, experience level, needs, etc. Are they better than other camera manufacturers? Probably notÖdonít care since I donít own them and donít plan to.

Iím just going to report that I picked up the X-T5 a couple of days ago, have shot a couple HS soccer games (thatís my bagÖIím a photography teacher and a dad, not a pro, but Iíve shot hundreds of games for years with Fuji). And compared to the XH1 and XT3 (not compared to SONY/NIKON/CANON etc) itís much improved. Now, I donít use the Face/Eye focus for sportsÖIíve never found that to be as reliable for action. I use Zone focusing and the AF-C Custom Set 2 (the one with the Cheetah) for soccer. (Iíd be curious actually what other people useÖ?) Anyway, the two things that stick out for me in terms of improvement are MUCH faster and surer acquisition of focus on target (yay). And more positive results when I look them over in editing later. Not perfect, still some misses, but fewer misses than beforeÖfar fewer, and Iíd say usually the misses are (as usual) my fault.
Anyway, just thought Iíd chime in with a user report. Make of it what you will. Carry onÖ

Nov 20, 2022 at 10:02 AM
JustShootMe
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · X-H2 (and therefore X-T5) Serious Autofocus Issues with Face/Eye Tracking

cdgerston wrote:
These forum discussions are always a little bit interestingÖand confusing to know what to make of it. Has Fuji improved itís AF or not? And of course, everyoneís opinion is different based on their POV, experience level, needs, etc. Are they better than other camera manufacturers? Probably notÖdonít care since I donít own them and donít plan to.

Iím just going to report that I picked up the X-T5 a couple of days ago, have shot a couple HS soccer games (thatís my bagÖIím a photography teacher and a dad, not a pro, but Iíve shot hundreds of games for
...Show more

It is better , that's for sure. Is it Sony good , probably not , maybe the previous generation. Forums are good for extreme opinions , reality is the loudest mouths here have never shot with any of the cameras they are arguing about. Their decision is based on the opinions of others. Things have improved as you have noticed , I have noticed also. Still don't think eye AF is as good as Sony , but zone focusing with eye AF works well, guess it depends what you are shooting / conditions / lighting / lenses . Edit: and AF settings

Nov 20, 2022 at 10:55 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · X-H2 (and therefore X-T5) Serious Autofocus Issues with Face/Eye Tracking

mehrdad sadat wrote:
in case u have not noticed, fuji has been very successful with both the aps and medium format systems

I shoot with Fuji 2 GFX bodies. Started with Fuji when Fuji XT-1 came out.

Nov 20, 2022 at 12:10 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · X-H2 (and therefore X-T5) Serious Autofocus Issues with Face/Eye Tracking

cdgerston wrote:

Iím just going to report that I picked up the X-T5 a couple of days ago, have shot a couple HS soccer games (thatís my bagÖIím a photography teacher and a dad, not a pro, but Iíve shot hundreds of games for
...Show more

Good to know that. I used to shoot my kids baseball with XT-1. It took me a while but for person coming at me, I was surprised that the AF was pretty good. When I say that I mean as good if not better than Canon 5dmk3/300mm f2.8 IS I (my main system at the time). Over the years, AF systems have gotten much better but so do people's expectations. Now a days one should be able to nail a fast walking person at f1.2 f1.4 with 90-95% success rate.

Nov 20, 2022 at 12:14 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · X-H2 (and therefore X-T5) Serious Autofocus Issues with Face/Eye Tracking

bobby350z wrote:
Good to know that. I used to shoot my kids baseball with XT-1. It took me a while but for person coming at me, I was surprised that the AF was pretty good. When I say that I mean as good if not better than Canon 5dmk3/300mm f2.8 IS I (my main system at the time). Over the years, AF systems have gotten much better but so do people's expectations. Now a days one should be able to nail a fast walking person at f1.2 f1.4 with 90-95% success rate.

Worse feeling to have is shooting something important and having to second guess the AF. Many situations have no do overÖmiss the shot and just keep on walking.

Nov 20, 2022 at 01:04 PM
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password