Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · iPad Pro vs. iPad Air ...

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · iPad Pro vs. iPad Air ...

So, I'm looking at the prospect of using an iPad for a sidecar (tools) to a MBP.

While reviewing the diff's between the Air vs. Pro (same size 10.9 / 11), I noticed that physical dimensions / weight are essentially identical on paper. The Pro does offer some additional storage capacity, and a few other benefits.

I don't know that I'd be doing much processing with the iPad (Pro or Air), but it does make me wonder to what utility (besides the sidecar) do you use your iPad for (photographic processes). Just wondering what cases that I haven't thought about that might make the case for Air vs. Pro.

Likely to pair with a 16 MBP for sidecar, or just general use (mini-portfolio, etc.).

The spec on the Pro is of course better, but curious where the utility is for more $$$ to get the Pro spec (if I'm going to have an MBP, also), if sidecar (and general purpose) is the main reason for getting one.

Nov 04, 2022 at 08:08 PM
amv8
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · iPad Pro vs. iPad Air ...

There was a thread on this a while back. IIRC, the Pro can take a thunderbolt device (e.g. external disk) and has a faster refresh rate when using it as a tablet so you get smoother drawing/responsiveness. I got the Pro and Apple Pencil to use in sidecar mode with PS. I tried it for a couple of days and found sidecar to be totally flakey. I promptly returned the iPad/Pencil.

Nov 04, 2022 at 08:59 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · iPad Pro vs. iPad Air ...

I replaced my MacBook Pro with an iPad Pro M1 along with a Logitech folio keyboard and the Apple Pencil2 a year and a half ago. When away from home I use it to process images using Lightroom CC and Affinity Photo and Lumifusion to edit video.

While I don’t use it for sidecar much … I do attach it to a large screen 4k TV to proof and finalize video edits before shipping them out. Lumafusion will send full screen video out on HDMI (with a dongle of course)

I would think the iPad Pro would be more efficient and consume less battery power when using in sidecar mode.

With the next iOS update (16.2) using an external monitor/tv users will be able to use the entire screen area of the external viewing device instead of just mirroring the iPad screen … note that this feature will only be available for tablets with M1 processors or better. So there are other considerations beyond what is possible today that will enhance Pro versions And not be available for other models.

Nov 04, 2022 at 09:17 PM
bjhurley
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · iPad Pro vs. iPad Air ...

The newish iPad Air has M1 processor and USB-C input so it's actually a lot closer to the old iPad Pro in terms of functionality. I got the M1 iPad Air myself a few months back; I had earlier convinced myself that I didn't need an iPad anymore and went for a year without one, but needed one for music work (I can run a mirror of my mixer on it, much nicer than trying to mix on a tiny phone screen).

The new M2 iPad Pro, though, is at another level and has a better display that can be used in reference mode. I had a twinge of regret when it came out because I had just bought an M1 iPad Air and might have sprung for the new Pro if I'd waited, but I think the Pro is overkill for me. I don't like iOS and prefer the desktop Mac OS for real work so my needs in a tablet are basic. If I had a Mac laptop and wanted a sidecar, I'd go for the M2 iPad Pro for its better screen and ability to use reference mode for more accurate colors.

Nov 05, 2022 at 05:46 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · iPad Pro vs. iPad Air ...

amv8 wrote:
There was a thread on this a while back. IIRC, the Pro can take a thunderbolt device (e.g. external disk) and has a faster refresh rate when using it as a tablet so you get smoother drawing/responsiveness. I got the Pro and Apple Pencil to use in sidecar mode with PS. I tried it for a couple of days and found sidecar to be totally flakey. I promptly returned the iPad/Pencil.

"flakey" ... can you expand on that a bit?

Nov 05, 2022 at 07:35 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · iPad Pro vs. iPad Air ...

butchM wrote:
I replaced my MacBook Pro with an iPad Pro M1 along with a Logitech folio keyboard and the Apple Pencil2 a year and a half ago. When away from home I use it to process images using Lightroom CC and Affinity Photo and Lumifusion to edit video.

While I don’t use it for sidecar much … I do attach it to a large screen 4k TV to proof and finalize video edits before shipping them out. Lumafusion will send full screen video out on HDMI (with a dongle of course)

I would think the iPad Pro would be more efficient and consume
...Show more

Both the new iPad Air and Pro are of the M chip variety (not looking at the non-M models), so I hear ya at future considerations.

Nov 05, 2022 at 07:39 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · iPad Pro vs. iPad Air ...

bjhurley wrote:
but I think the Pro is overkill for me.

I don't like iOS and prefer the desktop Mac OS for real work so my needs in a tablet are basic. If I had a Mac laptop and wanted a sidecar, I'd go for the M2 iPad Pro for its better screen and ability to use reference mode for more accurate colors.

Since we are visual in nature, the better screen looks good on paper (of course), but if I'm mostly using the sidecar for real estate to park my tools (layers, etc.), the better screen might get lost on the usage. Not sure about reference mode ... expand / clarify? I understand them both (Air / Pro) to have P3 capability.

Nov 05, 2022 at 07:42 AM
bjhurley
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · iPad Pro vs. iPad Air ...

RustyBug wrote:
if I'm mostly using the sidecar for real estate to park my tools (layers, etc.), the better screen might get lost on the usage. Not sure about reference mode ... expand / clarify? I understand them both (Air / Pro) to have P3 capability.

Agreed that if you're only using the sidecar to park tools, go for the Air.

For more info on reference mode see https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT213349

If you're already happy with the screen on your Mac laptop, no need. Reference mode may be more useful for cinematography/broadcast, where standards and compliance requirements are more rigorous than for photography, but I doubt any professional colorists would take an iPad seriously as a reference monitor except as a last resort in the field; for one thing it's just too small.

Nov 05, 2022 at 07:50 AM
amv8
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · iPad Pro vs. iPad Air ...

RustyBug wrote:
"flakey" ... can you expand on that a bit?

The PS window on the iPad would frequently freeze and there were other UI issues like the PS window on the iPad will get "split", and rendered incorrectly, etc.. I only tried sidecar with PS, not LR or other apps, and this was about 6 months ago so maybe some of these issues have been resolved? When I returned it to the Apple store, the person helping me said he personally had similar problems with using Sidecar.

Nov 05, 2022 at 10:37 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · iPad Pro vs. iPad Air ...

I can't help with Pro vs Air discussion but I just saw that Apple are allowing returns up to Jan 8th for anything bought from now on 9revert on Dec 25th). So this is a great time to buy and be able to thoroughly test the device (or even buy 2 and return the one that doesn't make the cut).

Nov 05, 2022 at 10:44 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · iPad Pro vs. iPad Air ...

Thanks guys, that helps.

Nov 06, 2022 at 12:16 AM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · iPad Pro vs. iPad Air ...

Not that it sounds like it matters much (re: toolbars), but I think that the iPad Pro screen is more similar to your 16" MBP than the Air's. Who knows what usage (beyond toolbars) you might end up with down the road.

After about 12 years of not having a new iPad, I just upgraded to the 11.9" M1 Pro (when the M2 was released).

Nov 08, 2022 at 12:21 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.