Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

What are people using for street photography?

galenapass
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · What are people using for street photography?

petersm59 wrote:
On the street I shoot with wide to normal primes. Depending on the day, and my mood, it could be the PL 12 or 15 and the PL 25. Or maybe the Sigma 16 and 30. I will carry either the L or PL 42.5, but they never seem to leave my bag. I now have a set of TTArtisan lenses that I'm playing with also. I carry two bodies, each with their own lens. Sometimes I just go out with the Lumix 20.

As far as cameras, my go to lately is the G100, and previously the G9 and the
...Show more

Thanks Mike. I'll check out the G100.

Nov 13, 2022 at 09:27 PM
BruceRH
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · What are people using for street photography?

galenapass wrote:
I am switching from bird photography to other genres of photography for m4/3. My first emphasis will be street photography. After selling all my m4/3 gear and switching to Sony, I have recently purchased an OM1 and repurchased a G9. My first street photography lens is the Laowa 17mm/1.8. This lens is shockingly small, well built and surprisingly sharp. All for $150. Are there any other small and sharp lenses that I should consider? Budget is not much of an issue, I am mostly after small and sharp. I am also comfortable with manual focus and I use both zooms
...Show more
As someone else mentioned, the Laowa 10mm Dreamer is an excellent, little lens. Pairs perfectly with the Laowa 17 which I agree, is a real bargain! The 12-45 zoom pairs nicely with the smaller bodies but also with the OM1. If you want a tilt screen, find a nice used (or new) EM10 MKIV. It has the basics and it has the 20mp sensor and it is small. The EP-7 is also a contender but no EVF which is why I will stick to the EM10 MKIV. The Olympus 25 and 45 primes are very small and quite sharp. You can put the EM10 and a bunch of these small primes in a small bag. I value small as well but I don't mind the FAS so I usually bring my EM5 MKiii with some small primes but the 10 gets use too. I also really like the Voigtlander 10.5/.95. Stopped down to f2 you are already getting great sunstars, which I like. The Laowa's also have decent sunstars, just not as good as Voigtlander. The Voigtlander 17.5/.95 is also excellent but the drawback is the size and weight of the Voigtlander's. They are probably my favorite lenses though. There are lots of great choices, good luck!

Nov 16, 2022 at 09:03 PM
owyhee
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · What are people using for street photography?

petersm59 wrote:
On the street I shoot with wide to normal primes. Depending on the day, and my mood, it could be the PL 12 or 15 and the PL 25. Or maybe the Sigma 16 and 30. I will carry either the L or PL 42.5, but they never seem to leave my bag. I now have a set of TTArtisan lenses that I'm playing with also. I carry two bodies, each with their own lens. Sometimes I just go out with the Lumix 20.

As far as cameras, my go to lately is the G100, and previously the G9 and the
...Show more

Mike, your colors are the best!

Nov 16, 2022 at 09:03 PM
petersm59

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · What are people using for street photography?

owyhee wrote:
Mike, your colors are the best!

Thanks! I just try to keep it real and match the memory of the colors I used to see in my Kodachrome slides.

Nov 16, 2022 at 10:00 PM
rjn_design
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · What are people using for street photography?

I typically will grab my Pen-F with the 12mm, 17mm 1.8, 25mm 1.8 and 45mm 1.8 Olympus primes when I am hitting the street. Small package to carry and the Pen-f is a blast to shoot with.

Nov 18, 2022 at 07:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

elkhornsun
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · What are people using for street photography?

The Olympus 12-100mm f/4 IS Pro lens is an exceptional lens with the perfect focal length range for street photography. The IS is exellent and it mates well with the Olympus camera's internal optical stabilization.
It provides the view angle of a 24-200mm lens on a full frame body.

I like a smaller camera and lens for street photography. Focal lengths from 50mm to 135mm work very well for faces without the perspective distortion (big noses, big ears, big hand, big feet) of a lens that is shorter than normal for the sensor size (for MFT a focal length less than 24mm).

I took my 70-200mm f/2.8 lens on a trip to Italy and the first time I brought it up to my face to take a shot I could see people starting to tense up due its large size. It was the last time I used this lens for street photography. For many years when shooting 35mm film I used a 105mm prime lens that provided great perspective for faces and a comfortable camera to subject distance so people did not feel that I was invading their personal space.

Nov 19, 2022 at 02:32 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · What are people using for street photography?

Fully agree with you, Bruce.

Nov 19, 2022 at 03:06 PM
owyhee
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · What are people using for street photography?

On a Pen-f I have captured great street images with the Lumix 20mm f/1.7 lens. I also sometimes use the Olympus 45 f/1.8. For a zoom, to keep it small I will use the Panasonic 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6. I will say that the Lumix 20mm on the Pen-f can have some focus speed issues, however these are non-existent on my EM1-3 which now my preferred m4/3 camera for street shooting.

Nov 22, 2022 at 08:22 PM
Artscar2
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · What are people using for street photography?

I also use mostly the Lumix 20mm, albeit on a e-pm2. Hohum sensor but low replacement cost. Some streets are less welcoming than others. Also mix in the 14mm 2.5 and 12-32 on ocassion.

Nov 25, 2022 at 09:40 PM
       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password