New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2022 · Affinity announcement coming Nov 9

butchM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Affinity announcement coming Nov 9

Looks like Affinity has something big brewing for next week …

https://youtu.be/LLbWr-dkNw4

Nov 04, 2022 at 09:39 AM
bjhurley
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Affinity announcement coming Nov 9

Yeah, for Affinity Photo at least what I'm hoping for is digital asset management (DAM) so it can compete with Lightroom, Capture One, ON1, etc.

Affinity Photo was envisioned as a Photoshop alternative, but it would be more useful as an all-in-one app where you can catalogue and organize your photos in addition to editing them. They've hinted for a long time that they're working on this so I'm hoping this will be one of the "big things" that they'll announce.

It's also possible that they've been bought out by a larger company that will be able to devote more resources to their suite.

I was an early adopter of the Affinity apps as someone who has never once had a good experience with Adobe (great software, but I've just always had a miserable customer experience; nothing to do with subscription model as I subscribe to a lot of software). I'm rooting for them on this, hope it turns out to be some exciting news!

Nov 04, 2022 at 10:39 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Affinity announcement coming Nov 9

Interesting ... thanks for the posts.

I tried Affinity a few months ago. It seemed fit for the task which appeared as you say to be a PS replacement. I was not (and likely still not) about to replace PS and LR but always interested. I will check it out and maybe take it for another drive once debugged a bit.

Nov 04, 2022 at 12:14 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Affinity announcement coming Nov 9

It’s here …. Serif has released v2 of their three app set of Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher for a very reasonable $99.99 (limited time) Universal license upgrade … the one-time license purchase includes all three major platforms … macOS, Windows and iPad OS. Still no subscription.

Not bad at all.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/

Nov 09, 2022 at 08:28 AM
q-w-z

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Affinity announcement coming Nov 9

It's great! I have all three apps since first Publisher public Beta. In V2 they added almost everything we have waiting for - except true vector brushes in Designer, Variable fonts and sophisticated panorama stitching.

Edited on Nov 10, 2022 at 04:13 AM · View previous versions

Nov 09, 2022 at 09:18 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Affinity announcement coming Nov 9

I got it v1 a few years for $25 so I couldn't pass that up. I only open it from time to time just to update it.

Nov 09, 2022 at 10:58 AM
bjhurley
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Affinity announcement coming Nov 9

New update looks good although I am a bit disappointed there's no digital asset management for photos. That would have been big. Still, it looks like the raw development process has improved, which was the big complaint about Affinity, and there are enough other improvements at such a low price that I'll likely upgrade from v. 1.

Nov 09, 2022 at 11:45 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Affinity announcement coming Nov 9

bjhurley wrote:
New update looks good although I am a bit disappointed there's no digital asset management for photos. That would have been big. Still, it looks like the raw development process has improved, which was the big complaint about Affinity, and there are enough other improvements at such a low price that I'll likely upgrade from v. 1.

The RAW development improvement may have been the obstacle that was holding up a DAM offering. Serif has indicated in the past they are serious about developing a cataloging option so there is still that possibility.

One thing is certain, they have been very responsive and industrious when it comes to improving their offerings.

Nov 09, 2022 at 12:07 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Affinity announcement coming Nov 9

I had to pinch myself when I saw the pricing for the universal license - $99 and I have a PC, Mac, and iPad... that's $11 a device per program.

Nov 09, 2022 at 02:25 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Affinity announcement coming Nov 9

For that price ... Publisher / Designer might be compelling on its own, even if you stick with something else for photos.

Not something I use now, but having it in the hip pocket might come in handy down the road.

Nov 09, 2022 at 10:40 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Affinity announcement coming Nov 9

Maybe time for me to go from CS6 to Affinity Photo 2, and upgrade from High Sierra.

Certainly not going to continue with Photoshop subscription.

Old dinosaur.

Nov 10, 2022 at 12:36 AM
q-w-z

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Affinity announcement coming Nov 9

They doesn't mention any raw development changes, though. Just non-destructive integration into editing process but nothing about shadow/highlights (area where AP falls behind C1), demosaicing or noise-reduction improvements.

Nov 10, 2022 at 04:15 AM
corposant
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Affinity announcement coming Nov 9

q-w-z wrote:
They doesn't mention any raw development changes, though. Just non-destructive integration into editing process but nothing about shadow/highlights (area where AP falls behind C1), demosaicing or noise-reduction improvements.

I don't feel like that's where Affinity shines and I think that's partly by design. The development team for the Photo product apparently are former Adobe engineers and I am sure their mindset was to create a functional Photoshop replacement, rather than a suite of products (or all-in-one) that can do everything. I think the user they market to already has a DAM, raw developer, and a bunch of other plugs (Topaz, etc) and is looking for something for occasional advanced editing use that Photoshop would otherwise already do. For what they charge for a one-time purchase, that value proposition is there in spades.

Nov 10, 2022 at 01:23 PM
bjhurley
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Affinity announcement coming Nov 9

corposant wrote:
I think the user they market to already has a DAM, raw developer, and a bunch of other plugs (Topaz, etc) and is looking for something for occasional advanced editing use that Photoshop would otherwise already do. For what they charge for a one-time purchase, that value proposition is there in spades.

For me, it's the simplest and cheapest way to be able to use LUTs in Capture One (which has no native ability to apply LUTs). I'm not a huge user of LUTs but I do like experimenting with them on some photos. By using Affinity Photo as an external editor from within Capture One I can do a roundtrip from Capture One to Affinity and back, applying the LUT in Affinity, and continuing to work in Capture One.

Nov 10, 2022 at 02:13 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Affinity announcement coming Nov 9

They did mention a significant change in RAW file development … you can now save the parametric adjustment data with the original RAW file embedded or link that data to the original RAW file or bake it into a new derivative file. The latter being the only option previously.

The developers have suggested many times on their user forum they are interested in offering a DAM solution. This new file handling of the RAW processing data may have been the obstacle that was holding up the next step in that goal. Although I think they may be more interested an a complete digital management system, not just images so the DAM would be a benefit to they rest of their suite, not just the Photo app.

Nov 10, 2022 at 02:13 PM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Affinity announcement coming Nov 9

I haven't installed or bought Affinity Photo yet, although both those things are on my todo list.

For those tossing up between the Mac App Store version and the download version, I got version 1 from the App Store and will not be choosing that way this time around. There is a well-known and infuriating problem with very long startup times on the App Store version. And it turns out macOS has a kernel bug/limitation where an App Store program can't do more than 10,000 file opens in one run, so I had a batch job die on me after 5,000 files.

The Windows install is now a .msix which is apparently causing some problems with DxO and some others refusing to run the installed app. Details and probable workaround at the Serif forums.

Some aspects of the macOS UI lack polish and some are saying it's gone backwards in an attempt to make ex-Adobe users feel at home. Kind of like spreading manure up your walls to invite the local slob around. I have no opinion on that yet as I haven't actually used it, but on the face of it changing the layers checkboxes to grey/less grey discs does seem to be a real step backwards to me, and I'm not thrilled with the reports of reduced contrast. At least there aren't those naff eye icons Adobe uses.

Still no support for right-to-left languages or vertical Japanese/Chinese text, even in Publisher. I don't have Publisher and probably won't upgrade Designer as I wasn't impressed by Designer version 1.

Nov 12, 2022 at 12:13 AM
Mujabad123
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Affinity announcement coming Nov 9

I upgraded from AP1 to Affinity Photo 2 within an hour when it was available. Blind buy, because of the ridiculous low price, the excellent free service and upgrades through the years when I used AP1. I think they deserve it and it' s worth it.

Nov 17, 2022 at 02:06 PM
ElliotV
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Affinity announcement coming Nov 9

Does anybody have further feedback on Affinity Photo 2 after using it for awhile?

Dec 20, 2022 at 12:37 PM
jwpstl
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Affinity announcement coming Nov 9

ElliotV wrote:
Does anybody have further feedback on Affinity Photo 2 after using it for awhile?

I've been using it since the release of version 1 and it offers everything I need in a Photoshop replacement. I don't use it for Raw processing-which it can do-but use it for everything post Raw. V2 works with my Nik Collection and the latest Topaz suite which is nice. I haven't run into any issues really but they did release an update today to squash some bugs. Great tool for the price.

Dec 20, 2022 at 02:03 PM
bjhurley
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Affinity announcement coming Nov 9

Another nice thing about Affinity Photo is that it integrates beautifully as a third-party editor with Capture One, which has implemented a seamless roundtrip export/import process for editing photos in another application. This is the cheapest way I know to be able to use LUTs and do more advanced/creative photo editing in Capture One. It exports a TIFF to Affinity photo and then when you save your edits in Affinity they appear in a new variant in Capture One.

If Affinity ever succeeds in adding digital asset management to Affinity Photo (or they develop a new app that's more like Capture One/Lightroom) I'll likely switch to that, but for now using Affinity as an editor within Capture One is a good solution.

Dec 21, 2022 at 05:13 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.